Chicago R models

man i was working at the old skelly truckstop in plainfield when this overdrive magazine came out and i saw this pic and thats when got the mack fever.fixin tires and oil changes thats when i really waned to drive .local construction hired me to drive a ford hey was a start. remember i wanted to work for a company called stellman trucking in plainfield he had 7 or 8 mack s.he hauled for prairie alot.

Thanks for posting that one,Jim.Forgot I have that one in a file somewhere,also! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

some were,especially if the had a hog deck for the belly.Don't see too many deck trailers anymore,53' 102" wide trailers pretty much eliminated the need for it

I think that trailer was an 86' Chamberlin. It did have a hog deck. -Brad

rememder when markaty in addison had all those r models.and siebert in naperville.i know siebert closed when emil siebert died i think markaty is still around

Markaty is the owner of what once was Celli Trucking Co. It is now called Cement Transport Company,Mackey.

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

The Kamp's are one of the most professional outfits out there. They have been friends of ours for years. If we have a truck go down on the "South" side, there is no one else to call. We had a 97' CH cough a fan belt at 130th/ Torrence once. Local dealers didn't have a belt or anyone available to go change it. Before our guy saddled up for the 2 hour/90 mile drive, I called the Kamp's. Within 60 minutes they had my guy rolling. They don't come much better than those guys. -Brad

The Kamp's are one of the most professional outfits out there. They have been friends of ours for years. If we have a truck go down on the "South" side, there is no one else to call. We had a 97' CH cough a fan belt at 130th/ Torrence once. Local dealers didn't have a belt or anyone available to go change it. Before our guy saddled up for the 2 hour/90 mile drive, I called the Kamp's. Within 60 minutes they had my guy rolling. They don't come much better than those guys. -Brad

Yes,mackman the B-815 used the END864 255hp naturally asperated MACK V-8.I think there were only like 220 units produced,so its a rare breed.I have never seen one with anything but a quadbox,as they were a "Heavy Hauler". That paticular B-815 of Kamp's,was repowered with a 237 (if I'm not mistaken) by an earlier owner,though.

It's true, the truck doesn't really have a v8. Trust me, we wish it did but it was pulled out long before we bought the truck.

Yes,mackman the B-815 used the END864 255hp naturally asperated MACK V-8.I think there were only like 220 units produced,so its a rare breed.I have never seen one with anything but a quadbox,as they were a "Heavy Hauler". That paticular B-815 of Kamp's,was repowered with a 237 (if I'm not mistaken) by an earlier owner,though.

It's true, the truck doesn't really have a v8. Trust me, we wish it did but it was pulled out long before we bought the truck.

Just thought I'd add these to the Sid Kamp discussion. The Superliner is Sid Kamp Specialized which is separate from

the excavating. Specialized does heavy haul. The yellow trucks are theirs also and are a former Chicago company called

Helders. They went out of business a couple years ago. I think their newest trucks were a mid 80's W900 and a late 80's

379 Pete. They did heavy haul and I don't know where their other trucks ended up.

Caught this Salce RD last week headed south on 1st Ave at Roosevelt Rd in Lyon's. We had got about 9 inches of snow the

day before and this truck was still covered. Seems like Salce had at least 20 of these at one point but I know I saw a bunch

for sale either at Ritche Bros or truck paper not to long ago.

They had a nice fleet of r models. Sadly i don't see them very often. Always had a nice blue paint job with matching trailer.

There is another trucking company that had a lot of blue r models around Melrose park. Can't remember their name right now..

Just thought I'd add these to the Sid Kamp discussion. The Superliner is Sid Kamp Specialized which is separate from

the excavating. Specialized does heavy haul. The yellow trucks are theirs also and are a former Chicago company called

Helders. They went out of business a couple years ago. I think their newest trucks were a mid 80's W900 and a late 80's

379 Pete. They did heavy haul and I don't know where their other trucks ended up.

The superliner and the vision are booth specialized. The superliner is owned by specializes main driver Ryan. Everything else including the two former Helders trucks are owned by Sid Kamp Trucking.

Caught this Salce RD last week headed south on 1st Ave at Roosevelt Rd in Lyon's. We had got about 9 inches of snow the

day before and this truck was still covered. Seems like Salce had at least 20 of these at one point but I know I saw a bunch

for sale either at Ritche Bros or truck paper not to long ago.

I had the pleasure of meeting Paul Salce last summer. I always admired his trucks for there simplicity, and functionality. I bought some aluminum R-model tanks off of him. He was running 40 trucks. As the economy continued downwards, he downsized. He also has a "pet" tiger, so I wouldn't piss him off. -Brad

• Like 1

I have been reading the posts for a while, and thought I would post a few pictures.

Here is my 1976 RS700L I bought in 1980 from Tom Stellman (CatomTrucking). He replaced this truck with a new Superliner. The "L" had a V8 with a Mack 6 speed (2 stick), and 417 rears. A lot of miles running (racing?) up and down Rt 59 out of the Plainfield pits. I will will be adding more pictures later. Ken

Very nice truck and trailer. Well cared for I see, thanks for sharing!

KMCTOYS you now drive a real truck , ( only kidding ) my guess is that you are the KMCTOYS that I know from another passion you have ! nice to see you here .

Your Mack is a beauty .

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

I have been reading the posts for a while, and thought I would post a few pictures.

Here is my 1976 RS700L I bought in 1980 from Tom Stellman (CatomTrucking). He replaced this truck with a new Superliner. The "L" had a V8 with a Mack 6 speed (2 stick), and 417 rears. A lot of miles running (racing?) up and down Rt 59 out of the Plainfield pits. I will will be adding more pictures later. Ken

Very nice looking R model.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg