Chicago R models

yeah they must of had that many cause here in joliet when they did rt 30 they had about 40 plus mixers rd s . one time in 2001 at chicago mack i saw 20 new rd s and the window sticker said "ganna specs"if i find that pic i ll post it.i thnk when they redid rt 30 here in joilet thats what put em down they didnt get the revised print and they where 8 " too high plus they pulled up a gas main

• Like 1

or they put it too low.somebody didnt give em the revised print. damn shame all the big guys are just about gone.miss seeing all those r and rd s working.even more cool when i was a kid there was a ready mix co on collins st that had b model mixers THAT was cool to watch them .i think the co was called newkirk concrete

or they put it too low.somebody didnt give em the revised print. damn shame all the big guys are just about gone.miss seeing all those r and rd s working.even more cool when i was a kid there was a ready mix co on collins st that had b model mixers THAT was cool to watch them .i think the co was called newkirk concrete

Funny you should mention Newkirk Concrete,mackey.One B model (a '55 B-61ST) my cousin bought,had been owned by Newkirk Concrete! I found ICC papers in the glove box with their authority on them.The truck barely ran,but was a solid, short wheelbase,wet kit equipped,tractor.My cousin sold it to a guy who just hauled it to his property and left it! I hate to see what it looks like now.I still have those papers in my "archives"!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Hey, I have been a lurker on this thread since it has started. Just wanted to say that it is nice to see, and great photos. I learned on r models and a few dms in and around chicago. Thanks!

.....Just jump on in and HOLD ON!!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

O K guys,here is the picture of the Curran Contracting off-road M-45(?) Brian,Trent,and I were talking about.......... Curran Off-Road Doubles.jpg This is monster that Jimmy Valzano,#1 lowboy driver for Curran at present,drove when he wore a younger man's clothes! He said this one only had a 300 Cummins in it,so he'd have run balls-out to get up out of the pit!! This truck was hands down,the biggest BULLDOG in our area! Thanks again Jim,for sharing this picture with us,and Brian Dhamer for buggin' him for it! Its not an R model,hope it will do!

Awesome!!!

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

O K guys,here is the picture of the Curran Contracting off-road M-45(?) Brian,Trent,and I were talking about..........attachicon.gifCurran Off-Road Doubles.jpg This is monster that Jimmy Valzano,#1 lowboy driver for Curran at present,drove when he wore a younger man's clothes! He said this one only had a 300 Cummins in it,so he'd have run balls-out to get up out of the pit!! This truck was hands down,the biggest BULLDOG in our area! Thanks again Jim,for sharing this picture with us,and Brian Dhamer for buggin' him for it! Its not an R model,hope it will do!

I guess it will have to do, if that's all you got.

:twothumbsup:

• Like 1

Jim

O K guys,here is the picture of the Curran Contracting off-road M-45(?) Brian,Trent,and I were talking about..........attachicon.gifCurran Off-Road Doubles.jpg This is monster that Jimmy Valzano,#1 lowboy driver for Curran at present,drove when he wore a younger man's clothes! He said this one only had a 300 Cummins in it,so he'd have run balls-out to get up out of the pit!! This truck was hands down,the biggest BULLDOG in our area! Thanks again Jim,for sharing this picture with us,and Brian Dhamer for buggin' him for it! Its not an R model,hope it will do!

It is only an M-15. Pretty easy to spot, since it doesn't got planetary rears.

It is only an M-15. Pretty easy to spot, since it doesn't got planetary rears.

Thanks,Thomas! Thats why I put the (?) after it.I knew somebody would have the answer! Not real well versed on Off-Highway :MackLogo: .Would like to try one out at the pit where I work,though! Closest I ever got was a '74 20 ton Euclid-6-71/Allison.The 40 ton Deere that I run,scattered the drop box (transfer case) on it.My boss thought it would be funny to put me in the Euc,since I LIKE OLD TRUCKS! Put my ear muffs on and went to work,laughing every time he went by! I had a blast in that thing!

Wait a minute,Thomas.As of '72,the M-15 (15 ton) single axle,only had a 180 Thermodyne in it & had planetary hubs! This would have to be more like a M-35 (35 ton),to have the 855 Cummins in it,wouldn't it? Like I said,I'm not well versed on the Off-Highway M-series,but 15 ton capacity seems to be a little light on a tandem axle off-road tractor,isn't it? I don't know,either.Just sayin' :idunno: !!

That looks crazy! It looks like the rear of a trailer with mudflaps mounted onto an R with the original R headlamps tilted vertical!!!

That truck was once a Meyer Material Co. mixer.Ernie bought it,had the wrecker body custom-made for the spread tandems,then sold to someone who just had to have it! :mack1:

Was it Canadian made because of them spread tandems?

It could have been Canadian-built.But the spread axles are popular here in Illinois on mixers, because it allows 36,000 lbs on the tandems,rather than the standard 32,000 lbs(non-designated),34,000 lbs. (designated). Even the last bunch of Granites Meyer bought,have spread tandems on 'em.

Wait a minute,Thomas.As of '72,the M-15 (15 ton) single axle,only had a 180 Thermodyne in it & had planetary hubs! This would have to be more like a M-35 (35 ton),to have the 855 Cummins in it,wouldn't it? Like I said,I'm not well versed on the Off-Highway M-series,but 15 ton capacity seems to be a little light on a tandem axle off-road tractor,isn't it? I don't know,either.Just sayin' :idunno: !!

Close, It is a M-15SX, these were built with 80K Mack rears on hard bar, "SX" being the 6 wheel off highway, and this was the only M series to NOT have planetary axles. The single drive rock truck M-15X is equipped with a planetary drive axle. In the world of tandem drive M series Mack's from smallest to largest:

M-15SX

M-32SX

M-45SX

M-70SX

M-75SX

M-100SX

There were additional letters added to the end if the chassis was ordered for special applications, IE; C = coal, T = tractor.

Also of note, one other M series with a tandem was the CL-350, designed & built to compete with the Hayes HDX-1000, Pacific P-16 & KW 850. Although the rear tandem axles & suspension were taken from the earlier LRVSW platform.

Rick

• Like 1

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

Close, It is a M-15SX, these were built with 80K Mack rears on hard bar, "SX" being the 6 wheel off highway, and this was the only M series to NOT have planetary axles. The single drive rock truck M-15X is equipped with a planetary drive axle. In the world of tandem drive M series Mack's from smallest to largest:

M-15SX

M-32SX

M-45SX

M-70SX

M-75SX

M-100SX

There were additional letters added to the end if the chassis was ordered for special applications, IE; C = coal, T = tractor.

Also of note, one other M series with a tandem was the CL-350, designed & built to compete with the Hayes HDX-1000, Pacific P-16 & KW 850. Although the rear tandem axles & suspension were taken from the earlier LRVSW platform.

Rick

Thanks for the explanation,Rick :notworthy: Al :blush:

B. Dhamer sent me a couple more there,Mark,of Ernie's Wrecker Services' DMM......attachicon.gifErnies DMM 1.jpgattachicon.gifErnies DMM.jpg

Thanks Al ! thats one hell of a wrecker right there! my late cousin was in the wrecker business in Jersey,he had a GIANT Oshkosh that was an Ex-Navy recovery outfit,this DMM kinda reminded me of it......................................Mark

post-5836-0-79086500-1360703563.jpg

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Thanks Al ! thats one hell of a wrecker right there! my late cousin was in the wrecker business in Jersey,he had a GIANT Oshkosh that was an Ex-Navy recovery outfit,this DMM kinda reminded me of it......................................Mark

That Oshkosh looks to be they same one owned by A&M of East Hartford, CT

Matt