Chicago R models

Al glad you brought that up... When I was a kid I went to a dentist near Rt14 and Virginia street? Some where near there I saw that huge Mack belly dump looking thing. I have never seen a pic of one like it before. I did not know if it really was a Mack because the name plate was very different from what I had seen before.... Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Trent

Al glad you brought that up... When I was a kid I went to a dentist near Rt14 and Virginia street? Some where near there I saw that huge Mack belly dump looking thing. I have never seen a pic of one like it before. I did not know if it really was a Mack because the name plate was very different from what I had seen before.... Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Trent

I was hoping there was a picture or 2 around,somewhere,Trent! Must have been an M-45. I remember it had a huge V-4 Bendix air compressor on it.They had to cut a hole inthe side of the hood so that 2 outer cylinders would fit with the hood closed.Must have needed the big compressor to run all those brakes! I guess one trailer was cut up for scrap,but the rest of the unit,went to auction awhile back.No problem,thanks for starting it,Trent! :MackLogo:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

seeing alot more automatics here in Upstate Ny as well. local truckin company here in town was strickly Peterjunk. owner bought a new Titan in the orange color and a driver wrecker it six months old. they also has so many problems with it that Mack gave them a loner truck, a CH or CL700 i think with an automatic. well after that he ordered 3 more last year then 3 more this year . Ch's with 450's and automatics. even the owner drove one himself for a few weeks. all the paccar guy who think they need to drive a peterbilt are mad but the owner says the fuel mileage with the automatics is alot better along with no clutch trouble and not having a transmission out ever week with the cowboys he has driving them. he has a fleet of around 30 trucks, 7 of them are Macks now

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

That is one sharp R-Model! red black go perfect together,sorry Al,but its still got a real "east-coast vibe" LOL!.........................................................Mark

Yes it does,Mark! Hard to call it a Chicago R when its roots are in Philly! Really nice truck,though.Would hate to see it leave the area.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Long story about the yellow r models...the state police raided that guys yard. Shot and killed his dog. Went looking for stolen trucks. In pounded all his tractor,trailers,and machines. Later no charges were filed or they could not build a case. Some trucks were returned but most found their way to auction sites. The guy was accused of selling drugs and was a known hot head but that did not justified how he lost all his stuff to the state. His yard is a mile down the road from me.

I went over to the ATHS website to look at the Ralph G. Smith H-model,and saw that red & black R-model is also for sale,along with a whole fleet of Hendricksons! wish i could could just go ahead and win the lottery already!........................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I went over to the ATHS website to look at the Ralph G. Smith H-model,and saw that red & black R-model is also for sale,along with a whole fleet of Hendricksons! wish i could could just go ahead and win the lottery already!........................................Mark

I'm hearin' ya,Mark! SO MANY TRUCKS,SO LITTLE TIME AND $$$$$$$$! Al

• Like 1

I have that picture,Jim...........attachicon.gifscan0003.jpg Mike Martinelli is still truckin',he has a white T-800 now.He was leased to F. Smith Cartage of Barrington Hills,Ill.,who closed the doors a few years back.Here is some of their RD's,just before they went out.attachicon.gif80788400.jpgattachicon.gif80788402.jpg

With all that info in the article, you were still able to provide an update on the driver.

Damn you're good!

Jim

With all that info in the article, you were still able to provide an update on the driver.

Damn you're good!

There are only a handful of guys from 30 years ago,that are still out there.I give them alot of credit whenever I can,Jim.Don't know Mike personally,just see him around from time to time.

just wondering why the title for the 2 yellow mack would be a salvage certificate from IL? yes it at hillside.

My guess is that the state held onto them, tried to charge for storage for over 2 years of the investagation. Fees added up to more than the truck was worth and auctioned off as salvage.

Iirc K konstruction was being looked at for stolen trucks and truck parts. But no charges were brought...I know they lost 50% of thir fleet and got just a few tractors and old frameless dumps back to wich most are for sale at their yard on rt12