Chicago R models

That lindahl truck is hauling snow I remember that storm we were punching holes through it with locomotives had to be careful not to ride up on the hard drifts and derail ourselves. Had to really watch and be ready with the brakes around bends you come up on a nine or ten foot drift the weight of the consist would push you right up on the snow hard to believe something as heavy as a locomotive could be derailed by snow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mackey58 said:

Man I bet plowing with locomotives was damn cool

Its kind of like this if your the first down the line after a night of blowing snow tough to see the whistle boards coming up on the crossings in this video you can see one before hitting the heavy snow.

• Like 1

The soft fresh snow like the video shows isn't bad and if you hit something while pushing up that plume of snow you would never know it its the hard packed snow drifts that are dangerous for those you use one of these. You can hear how they notch it up a bit and pull back as not to pack the rotary tight with snow.

Edited by ranchhopper
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mackey58 said:

It was soft fluffy dry black dirt and I think he was on or close to the edge don't think he even got the box up had another pic of one on our job in minooka  a couple years ago he was on an angle and the bed was leaning  as he pulled forward  tore position he flopped over  

sure did`nt know those things were that flexible in the middle

Usually the trailer will go over then like in slow motion the tension in the frame will snap the tractor over in the blink of an eye I saw a guy get hurt pretty bad that way years ago. They were dumping fill in a marsh his trailer wasn't at the top of the second stage yet and it gently laid over on the passenger side. The guys name was Buddy he got out and was standing on the fuel tank on the drivers side and the spring tension in the trailer flipped the tractor over too one of the bad attributes of frame style dump trailers..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ranchhopper said:

Usually the trailer will go over then like in slow motion the tension in the frame will snap the tractor over in the blink of an eye I saw a guy get hurt pretty bad that way years ago. They were dumping fill in a marsh his trailer wasn't at the top of the second stage yet and it gently laid over on the passenger side. The guys name was Buddy he got out and was standing on the fuel tank on the drivers side and the spring tension in the trailer flipped the tractor over too one of the bad attributes of frame style dump trailers..

i understand tractor frames  i was wondering why it did`nt turn the power unit over to

5 minutes ago, ranchhopper said:

About 20 years ago dad hauled scrap in a dump trailer.   Guy had a baler, and he would by scrap yards tin piles.   They would bale it and sell it as prepared.    Guy he was leased to had quite a few fall over. Some just the trailers some the whole outfit.   One guy was standing on the fuel tank when the trailer went over then pulled the truck over after. It slung the guy like superman through the air.  He was lucky to only injure arm and shoulder.  

2 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

About 20 years ago dad hauled scrap in a dump trailer.   Guy had a baler, and he would by scrap yards tin piles.   They would bale it and sell it as prepared.    Guy he was leased to had quite a few fall over. Some just the trailers some the whole outfit.   One guy was standing on the fuel tank when the trailer went over then pulled the truck over after. It slung the guy like superman through the air.  He was lucky to only injure arm and shoulder.  

we`re not talking about a tractor trailer  i`m refering to that turned over haul truck

3 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

That's what happened to this guy he hit the ground head first on the other side of the truck.

1 minute ago, Hobert62 said:

I've never been around them, but it looks like they are made to do that.  

i see what you mean that was what i was trying to figure out. unless that truck flipped after the pic was taken he walked away with just his final pay check and a severe ass chewing:D

2 hours ago, PeterMack said:

With all this flipping over talk it reminded I saw this picture. Sounds like it happened in Elmhurst. Obviously a former Martin trailer, not sure what kind of truck it was. He was jackknifed pretty bad to flop it on himself. I don't think I've ever attempted to dump like that. I don't like not being able to see what the trailer is doing.

119575_1280x720.jpg

How do you dump a frameless like that?     When the box goes up the trailer tandem gets closer to the truck.   With the dirt coming out the back how do you put the box back down?  The tandem won't go back again.     With it jack knifed that hard you have to pull the truck ahead and twist the trailer with the box up?    "I have no first hand experience with a frameless, please forgive my dumbness"

Straight  is the best and watch the tires on the rear axle if one side or the other settles off more than the other I release  the Johnson  and let the trailer walk forward  easy if it still looks weird I put it down and hope I can re position  it

I have had to dump almost at 90 a few times and I dont like it at all. If its stone , slow and easy and it comes out ok but any type of dirt and clay 1/4 gets stuck most times. the only way to do it is to set the tractor brakes ,dump and then lower it back down while pulling the tractor up untill the weight of the trailer coming down starts to help move you forward...then pul lup 5' and do it again so it all comes out. its not so bad on pavement but you have to watch it the whole time.