Chicago R models

Saw 3 Greco R-models east bound on the Elgin-O'hare expressway just yesterday. They always look like time capsules. -Brad

Oh yeah.They're still running some square-tanked R models.I guess the foreigners come snoopin' around there.They just tell them,"hey,we're still using these trucks"!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Oh yeah.They're still running some square-tanked R models.I guess the foreigners come snoopin' around there.They just tell them,"hey,we're still using these trucks"!

They are really neat. Give them my name and tell them I want one. I'd keep it in the US. Do you have any pictures of the R's they still have?

Mike

They are really neat. Give them my name and tell them I want one. I'd keep it in the US. Do you have any pictures of the R's they still have?

Mike

Just this one fuel truck.This had been a tractor at one time.But they needed a fuel truck so it got volunteered!post-510-0-36509000-1358450532_thumb.jpgThis is typical of their R model paint jobs.They started painting them this way for 1976 and stuck with it.You won't confuse them with anybody else's trucks in the area,as storkmack says!

post-510-0-83028900-1358450884_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Thanks for the pictures. I love these trucks. Is that the last R model they have left?

Mike

No, Mike.All they run are R models! There isn't a sloped-nosed RD in the bunch! I think their last NEW fleet purchase was in '88 or '89.They haven't bought any new units since then.They usually run only from May-Nov.,then steam-cleaned & put away for winter (inside).If they do get run(like storkmack seen) they will be steamed and put inside.

No, Mike.All they run are R models! There isn't a sloped-nosed RD in the bunch! I think their last NEW fleet purchase was in '88 or '89.They haven't bought any new units since then.They usually run only from May-Nov.,then steam-cleaned & put away for winter (inside).If they do get run(like storkmack seen) they will be steamed and put inside.

I was shocked to see them out. Had to check what month it was. -Brad

• Like 1

What do they do from December to April? Those RS700's are awesome. Do you know what they were asking for them and if they have any left? I want to fly out there and drive one home. Of course I don't have any money and don't have any room for another truck and they probably don't want to sell one. Let me know if they have sitting out for sale, R600's or R700. Mike

I went and looked at those RS700L when they were for sale. IIRC they had v8s and 6 speeds. one had notes that the bearings were done on them recently. Cabs were good except for around the rear cab mounts. they both were rubber mounted and must have seen alot of bad roads because the inside of the cab floor had a hump in them from the ab mount pushing upwards. I spoke with one of the owners and he was nice to the point that he showed me some R models that had seen very little use and were kept inside on jack stands. even an old C model mack V8 with low miles. I heard both RS700L were sold to an exporter.

What do they do from December to April? Those RS700's are awesome. Do you know what they were asking for them and if they have any left? I want to fly out there and drive one home. Of course I don't have any money and don't have any room for another truck and they probably don't want to sell one. Let me know if they have sitting out for sale, R600's or R700. Mike

December to April is maintainance time for the big road construction fleets.They were asking $12,500 @ piece for those 2 trucks.That was 4-5 years ago.I haven't been by there in a while to see if anything else is for sale.

Ah! the western R-model my favorite!......................................Mark

I always liked the sister truck to this one also,Mark.Specs were identical:300,6 speed,38R,18F,210"wb.(both trucks were built as dump truck chassis).Both were eventually turned into tractors.The guy that ran the other truck had it for over 30 years! They were cool!

I agree with mark on the western R, Thought the 600's looked better than the 700's.BCR I lived in Wheeling ILL when I was a lad 50's and 60's The meyer plant used to be up the road'

I wonder if it is still there.

James, Meyer Wheeling-Yd.# 2 is still at Dundee Rd. (Il Rte. 68 & Wheeling Rd.). There is a Metra(former Chi.& Northwestern commuter) Station to the south of it now.

BCR Do you work for meyer? I remember reading somewhere that Dennis Sporlein was a maintenance manager there. Did you know him. I went to grade school with him inBuffalo Grove Ill. He had a huge left forarm from operating a manual clutch on a piece of farm machinery. I used to wait for the school bus on the corner of Dundee rd and the road that went to

Mt Prospect. That was truck heaven. Meyer used to have about 6 twin screw B-613 with turbo 205's. What a sweet sounding engine. Consolidated forwarding used to go by with the white 3000 flat head gasers. Meanast sounding gas engines I ever heard. The IH red diamonds were a close second. :SMOKIE-LFT:

BCR Do you work for meyer? I remember reading somewhere that Dennis Sporlein was a maintenance manager there. Did you know him. I went to grade school with him inBuffalo Grove Ill. He had a huge left forarm from operating a manual clutch on a piece of farm machinery. I used to wait for the school bus on the corner of Dundee rd and the road that went to

Mt Prospect. That was truck heaven. Meyer used to have about 6 twin screw B-613 with turbo 205's. What a sweet sounding engine. Consolidated forwarding used to go by with the white 3000 flat head gasers. Meanast sounding gas engines I ever heard. The IH red diamonds were a close second. :SMOKIE-LFT:

James.Yes,I do work for Meyer.I work on the stripping crew,driving a 40 ton John Deere haul truck.Dennis Spoerlien was forced into retirement last year.We got bought out by a foreign outfit a few years back,and alot of the management got the axe.There was a picture of a fleet of Meyer B-61's sitting at a gravel pile that was on an office wall in Algonquin.I am trying to figure out where that picture went.

Al,i was so busy looking at this R-model,i just noticed the Hendrickson tractor next to it,now theres a real rarity back east! i've only ever seen a handful in person! most of those were in the Chicagoland area........................................Mark

post-5836-0-29858800-1358689130.jpg

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

And your Chicago area R model of the day belongs to..attachicon.gifMeyer RDMM.jpg Meyer Material Co.(my employer).This was a Hybrid-All-Wheel Drive RD (around a '90 model),that Meyer's former owner,The Marmon Group of Companies (Marmon-Harrington) put together for a test truck.Our in house body shop (no longer in operation),took a DMM hood and the stock RD hood of the truck and came up with this arrangement so the headlights would not over the roof of the car in front of it! The truck worked out OK,but as I recall had frame issues,so it was retired.Don't know where it ever ended up.They usually saved the MACKs for use as water truck chassis,so maybe it got sent to another facility.I'll check into that!

I never have understood why R and RD model frames are so spindly? I'd love to have a DM teardrop frame under my RD.

Jake

I never have understood why R and RD model frames are so spindly? I'd love to have a DM teardrop frame under my RD.

That is one of the questions I had,Jake.The B-53/57 had a better frame set( up like a DM).I never broke my 3/8" X 10" rails on my RD,but then mine wasn't a company truck.A buddy of mine wasn't happy with the RD frame either,and started to build an RD on a DM frame.Turns out they needed the engine out of it,then the trans,and before you knew it,the truck was pushed outside & eventually cut up.I would have liked to see that thing completed.