Chicago R models

So I had off today and Snake and I were running some errands and I got some good pics.

I believe the green RDs are former Plote trucks and the white with orange stripes might be old Lowe trucks. One of my friends thinks the brownish R might be an old Waste Management truck.

These pics were taken on Virginia in in the owner of Sunsets yard next to Waste Management.

I'm guessing they are for sale. They just showed up,this week.

The trucks with the orange stripes are old PF Materials trucks out of Elk Grove. The one still has the name on the hood.

I believe those DM's are also related, just a different name on them. PF used to have a bunch of trucks running around

15 years ago. Had a few nice Pete's and those RD's. The last time I saw any of them they were all beat to SH*T!

• Like 1

Spent the day in Lake County yesterday. Saw a ton of R-models and other trucks but it seems they were always somewhere

that I couldn't get a good shot of them. I did get one from behind of the R-Jones R-model pulling the lowboy. Saw a newer silver/grey

Mack that looked like it belonged to RSD501, didn't get a picture though. Also saw a Ford 9000 cabover pulling a dump trailer down

83 by the landfill. Haven't seen one those running around in awhile.

post-13943-0-82756700-1447795736_thumb.j

• Like 1

Spent the day in Lake County yesterday. Saw a ton of R-models and other trucks but it seems they were always somewhere

that I couldn't get a good shot of them. I did get one from behind of the R-Jones R-model pulling the lowboy. Saw a newer silver/grey

Mack that looked like it belonged to RSD501, didn't get a picture though. Also saw a Ford 9000 cabover pulling a dump trailer down

83 by the landfill. Haven't seen one those running around in awhile.

What were you doing in this neck of the woods? Had one running out of Vulcan Grayslake yesterday

Yes, that is Dad's truck. When we did the air ride, we lengthened it about a foot. He says it doesn't ride as good as the taperleaf, isn't as light as the taperleaf, but holds the road better than the taperleaf. It's an 87' that he bought from the Pete dealer in Waukesha in the early spring of 94'. It was an one owner trade with 150K miles, truck was flawless. 300hp, 5 sp. It was short, so we rolled the trunnion back as far as we could and pieced in the rear part of the frame. Well that summer the drive shaft that we had a made, because of the added length, came apart up on I-94 by Watertown WI, the drive shaft took out the air tanks , which made the truck want to stop right now, which caused the truck to jackknife, pretty much totaling the truck and breaking a bunch of Dad's ribs. After that, the truck got a new cab, frame rails and the sleeper. Dad missed one day of work and was back at in #17, an ex-Plote truck, until his was back in service. I don't have any pre wreck pics. It was red with a Stark sticker on the door. Since then it has had 2 motors and the trans swapped from the 5 to a 12. Oh, and for the record, he normally doesn't wave to anyone.

Sorry to hear that your father got hurt, but that's awesome he got right back at it. I don't think I would have gone back that soon, lol

I've always heard the taperleaf was really good and I've heard many say it rode better then air ride. But I guess I should start believing cause I've heard it so many times.

I always thought that was always a factory sleeper.

That's cool that I got him to finally wave to me since he normally doesn't.

What were you doing in this neck of the woods? Had one running out of Vulcan Grayslake yesterday

I was moving Bobcats for a customer of ours that is getting ready for snow season. Had a couple days worth, had 18 to move,

which was great because it got me out of hauling gravel! While I was up that way I also stopped at Ernies. He is selling the 84

359 so I had to go BS with Ernie for a minute and take a look at the truck, but I need another truck like I need another hole in

my head. Ernie did say he might be buying a Mack to replace it, he's just looking for a decent pre-emmisions truck that isn't

destroyed.

post-13943-0-40311900-1447902298_thumb.j

post-13943-0-96795000-1447902307_thumb.j

post-13943-0-04706900-1447902334_thumb.j

• Like 2

Everybody is scrambling to move snow equipment today! It is always nice to get a break from gravel. If you ever need a truck or two to haul snow for your guy in Lake County, let me know. Would be happy to do it. What is Ernies asking for the 359? My buddy has a really clean one too.

I've seen that Petersen truck running around before, saw their Pete six wheeler headed up 294 today. I think Ernie said he wanted 20K for it,

minus the headache rack. Would be a nice truck for somebody. As far as the snow hauling goes, you can have all of it in northern IL, I'm

gonna go inside and take a nap!

• Like 1

The mention of Yazel reminded me that I had an Axle Equipment post card with a Yazel truck on it. I remember up to a couple years

ago seeing trailers with Yazel and Martin still running around. I know where two Martin trailers are but haven't seen a Yazel in awhile.

I love seeing the old pictures like that!!!

• Like 1

So far so well. Fuel economy isn't as great as the CH or the RW, but the drivers really seem to like them. I have driven them a little bit, I really like the Mdrive. Takes a little getting used to when off road. I know you can manually downshift, but I wish there was a big simple button that would only use 1st or 2nd off road. If you don't think to lock into a low gear, the thing wants to up shift and then falls on its face. Otherwise they have been great. One or two sensor issues, but all was warranties.

I know. My '98 CH with 13spd and 4.17 gears got better mpg then my '12 CHU with Mdrive direct and 2.64 gears. And that's suppose to be the best setup for mpg. I know some people that have made "outlaw trucks" meaning deleting the emmisions and they are gaining 1- 1.5 mpg better. Along with more HP.

If I am off road I use the manual setting, but if I'm just pulling in a yard or trying to keep it slower going I put it in performance mode to keep it in gear longer.

I really wish it had a LL and low reverse.

Sweet looking ride by the way.