Please Recommend A Transmission

mackattack2

I will add here and I know most will back me....but new technology is not always superior technology(see the new Mack wanna be Volvos). Bulletproof is as good as it gets...theres straight cut gears from one end of a Mack to the other and they are there for good reason....because they WORK...and are almost impossible to break unless you just flat try to kill them.

I will add here and I know most will back me....but new technology is not always superior technology(see the new Mack wanna be Volvos). Bulletproof is as good as it gets...theres straight cut gears from one end of a Mack to the other and they are there for good reason....because they WORK...and are almost impossible to break unless you just flat try to kill them.

I'll second that.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

• 3 weeks later...
We always say, the reason Fuller makes em shift nice, is cuz you gotta shift more often. My truck has the 12 speed Mack in it and I love that transmission, behind an e7400 hardly ever have to shift

:mack1: AS far as i'm concerned the 1070 12 speed is the best trany mack has ever made! Terry

• 3 weeks later...
:mack1: AS far as i'm concerned the 1070 12 speed is the best trany mack has ever made! Terry

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience with me - its been educational - and fun.

Is the 1070 a 2-stick trany or does it have an air shifter?

Also must both sticks be shifted multiple times to go from 1 to 12 or does it require the second stick to be shifted only once, like the Mack 6 and 7 speed transmissions, to cover the entire gear-set range?

And finally, what are the ratios of the 12 speed trans?

Thank you all again.

Steve

:mack1: The early 12 spd. had 2 sticks with the reverse, direct and overdrive on an air button on the main box stick, the other stick was just a lo-lo and direct box, it has a total of three boxes bolted together, a fairly long tranny. The later ones were the same just the lo-lo was a switch on the dash. It sounds like a complicated tranny but once you get on to it you will love it. When you are empty you can shift the main box all the way to 5th gear then go into overdrive on the air shifter,but if you are loaded then you just use the overdrive button for your upshift splits. first direct first overdrive,second direct second overdrive and so on but once your on to it you will know what gears to skip. terry

• 3 weeks later...

I have a fuller 8LL and a maxitorque 10 spd, and quite frankly like the maxitourque better. I cut my teeth on the old 5 speed and miss it alot. Once you get used to the rpm matching, you shouldn't have any problems. It doesn't sound like you are gonna be pulling 80,000 lbs with it anyway. You'll probably get a kick out of "Floatin em". At least you won't have grandpa smacking your hand everytime you scratch a gear. :D

As I said before,i've been driving a long time,but i'd never driven a quadruplex until I bought that B-53 mixer.Kinda like Freighttrain,I learned by doing it.I knew the procedure,but had never actually shifted one before.I shift it like a triplex on the road,only use lo-lo when i'm off-road making a pour...which is never. I did order the "Trucks With 2 Sticks" DVD's and noticed that most of the drivers in the videos scratched and scraped as many gears as I do,so then I felt pretty good about myself...for a while.I just don't drive it enough to get what you'd call really good at it,so I just take my time and shift one stick at a time. Usually if I try the "high speed-2 hand,arm through the steering wheel like I know what i'm doing shift" ,that'll be when I monkey up.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.