Winter has come

Vladislav

Hi Farmer & Mike69, I am glad to hear there are others interested too. There were 3 guns built by the Krupp Works, only one went into battle at Sevastopol, on coastal Ukraine. Fired a total of 48 rounds total during the war there, brought the city to its knees. 7 ton shell was able to penetrate solid rock or concrete 90 feet thick. But high maintenence piece of equipment, took up to 3 months to get in place and assemble, laying track, security, assemble crane, mechanics, factory engineers, army, Luftwaffe, 4200 men total etc etc, etc............Paul

RONCETTI

Hi farmer52, Velocity 2700 ft / s Caliber 80 centimetres (31 inch) Diameter I believe it was used in battle just this once, total of 48 rounds fired during the battle and the whole war as a matter of fact. Took 45 minutes to reload, but the city fell within 3 to 4 days and then it was over. The gun barrel was good for only 100 rounds, then needed to be replaced, but that never did happen. Was originally designed as an anti tank gun. Whole gun length was 155 feet and the weight was 1350 tons...........Paul

RONCETTI

It's not often that a thread strays off topic in a positive direction. :twothumbsup:

No stopping now gentlemen, you have a captive audience.

Yea, usually we are in the gutter on the 2nd or 3rd reply and never recover. However this one does slip in and crawls out of the gutter randomly.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

At 2700 fps that equates to about 1 minute from the time the trigger is pulled to go 30 miles (if I did my math correctly - hey I am a retired engineer so I packed away my slide rule). You should be able to see that sucker coming. I imagine the KABOOM (on both ends) is LOUD!

Likely the Vinster never saw a slide rule.

Are any of these big guns still around or have they been melted? Would be nice to see one up close.

• Like 1

Ken

Hi Green Dash & other dog, I under estimated the interest generated here. You can get on U Tube and type in "Worlds Biggest Gun" or "800mm DORA Gun" or "Schwerer Gustav Gun" and see some good footage of this gun and some othe siege mortors also. Gustav was Alfried Krupps father and Dora was the Senior Engineers wife, hence the names. 250 rounds were fired at their proving grounds before the German High Command took delivery.

RONCETTI

farmer52, The only big one left I think is Leopold, which is at the entrance to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in MD, it was used against us at Anzio in Italy

Thanks! I thought it would be in Europe somewhere. How in the F did we get it and how was it moved?

• Like 1

Ken

Hi Mike69 I have pictures some where I will have to find of 3 of our rail guns, which were no where near the size of the German ones, that were stationed on rail spurs through the sand dunes on the Atlantic side of Provincetown on the very tip of Cape Cod. The entrance to Provincetown Harbor was where two 16" Naval guns were positioned also, the foundations were dismatled about 10 years ago, but the built up mounds are still visable when you look out to Long Point.........Paul

RONCETTI

Sure looks cold in Moscow and other places, it was 73 here in Tennessee today, and the rail gun and constellations are cool, I have Lots and Lots and Lots of military books, memorabilia, oh and pics from IQ some from friends others from 2010 when I was there, saw lots of neat stuff.

Oh and to anyone interested in military aircraft make plans and take a trip to Dayton Ohio to The Museum of the Air Force, that place is freakin awesome, the largest collection of military aircraft in the world, you can tour the restoration hanger on weekdays where they are restoring the Memphis Belle right now.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Oh and heres a pic or two that might be of interest.....including Macks too....the F model was built for export and was sitting at Talil airbase IQ camp Adder, the Granite came out of Kuwait the company is supposedly owned by the Mack dealership owner and has several hundred of those Granites.

post-5240-0-92885200-1354755248_thumb.jp

post-5240-0-77386000-1354755268.jpg

post-5240-0-98732900-1354755351_thumb.jp

post-5240-0-30404500-1354755418_thumb.jp

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The b50 was also upgraded with variable pitch props.

• Like 1

I actually just remembered the 29 had featherable props but the 50 had the Curtis reversible pitch prop, the only 29's windows h these were the 509th planes used in the pacific as I recall. I have a pic of a 50 with those tracks on the rear I think it said they were being tested for soft field use at full weight but generated too much drag to be feasible. I remember looking at the original rear gear for the b36 at Dayton and thinking there was no was the gear could lift that single huge tire, apparently they were so heavy on the original single rear tire they cracked concrete runways so they went with a redesigned 4 tire pre side rear gear that distributed the weight better. I could get into this thread like you have no idea so ill stop there, I leave with this, my favorite flight of all time was my first combat takeoff and landing in a c130, 45 degrees up and 45 degrees down.

• Like 1

Hi Green Dash, Yes, we have one of the 5 sisters now renamed the Eagle being used as the Coast Guard Training Ship, based in New London, CT We also got the Heavy Cruiser Prinze Eugen, which was the ship that went out with the Bismark and was released into the N.Atlantic before the Bismark was sunk. We incorporated it into the U.S. Navy and renamed it the U.S.S. Prinze Eugen -300

• Like 1

RONCETTI