saved another one

yup, just ordered a carb kit for it from the Carburator Doctor dot com. 55 bucks, seemed fair. been lookin for the Hemi spark plug wires online thru Taylor and a few others. evidentally the wires must have a gold core in them as they are anywhere from 110 to 185 bucks a set. this truck also has the long covers about an inch and half wide over the plug holes in the valve cover so im wonderin if i need the wire set for a Hemi that has the rubber sealin grommet to seal the ''milk tubes'' that go thru the valve cover or just the ones with the long plug wire end on them .

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

god id like to come across one of those. was already thinkin of how to make one. also would like to find a nice set of bubbleback Mack mirrors and the correct brackets to fit the cut off doors. kinda breaks my heart to think of how many good firetrucks have been turned into single axle tractors and probably the doors with the good mirror brackets scrapped along with most of the pumper stuff and gauges.

Any decent boat canvas shop can make the "bimini" top for the cab. I think they look like hell, but I can understand having been caught in a few storms myself.

I'm curious; did the Mack Museum info have the build data with part numbers?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

the Mack Museum didnt have build date. they gave me a parts manual and records with a few numbers for the hemi firetrucks and whereabouts to where they went but they only had info for about 10 out of 33 or so. the letter that came with it says they didnt keep records for the Navy trucks because they were probably bought in bulk and didnt really know which base they got sent to and never registered. also they didnt have build data because of the low production run. kinda a bumer. they didnt send a parts manual tho with every part ordered includin ladders, hose reel right down to the taillights but not an actual build sheet. and young Vinny yes she did take the pictures and I never sneak beer, didnt enough of that when i was a teenager and suzanne was behind the wheel turnin her over when it first fired, i was workin the squirt can on the carb til it pumped some gas up. think we decided to name the truck ''Somer'' cause we bought it in Somerset Pa. my grandfather, aka the master mechanic under the hood has a few other names for it tho i think haha. he started out with a little b model collection, 3-4 of them. think i have his collection up to around 12 B models and an R model haha

• Like 1

Keep up the good work on the truck. It is nice to see another fire truck saved. Like you said, it is a shame how many fire trucks get cut up. My father is cutting up a B85F right now. I think it is a 1958. It was from Reading, PA. It had a fully open cab, no doors. We saved the cab. Not much else good on it. A tree fell on the body before we got it. The radiator, shell and heads are off of it. I did keep the starter and will pull a few more things off. I doubt therer would be anything you need. The township is finally coming down on us. We will be cutting up a B42S dump truck. It is rusted apart and doesn't have a straight piece of sheet metal on it. After those two the white R685 is next, then a 1974 Dodge W300, then a FWD fire truck. I'll save the IH cab and engine(RD501) out of the FWD and the trans and transfer case from the Dodge.

Mike

the Mack Museum didnt have build date. they gave me a parts manual and records with a few numbers for the hemi firetrucks and whereabouts to where they went but they only had info for about 10 out of 33 or so. the letter that came with it says they didnt keep records for the Navy trucks because they were probably bought in bulk and didnt really know which base they got sent to and never registered. also they didnt have build data because of the low production run. kinda a bumer. they didnt send a parts manual tho with every part ordered includin ladders, hose reel right down to the taillights but not an actual build sheet. and young Vinny yes she did take the pictures and I never sneak beer, didnt enough of that when i was a teenager and suzanne was behind the wheel turnin her over when it first fired, i was workin the squirt can on the carb til it pumped some gas up. think we decided to name the truck ''Somer'' cause we bought it in Somerset Pa. my grandfather, aka the master mechanic under the hood has a few other names for it tho i think haha. he started out with a little b model collection, 3-4 of them. think i have his collection up to around 12 B models and an R model haha

Ive had that job before like Suzanne. With the old Ford dump, getting her to fire. Somedays, when your workin on trucks, many different names come and go, haha, when its done I think you'll find one and stick with one. :twothumbsup:

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

The tail lights were the same as the ones they used on Jeep CJ2A's. (Thanks FireMack) You can buy them from any Jeep parts house such as Kaiserwillys.com.

Mike,

Are the stanchions for the boot rail still viable on the B-85?

Carl

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!