e9 turbo

thunderdog

ha I just asked that question a month or two back and got nothing supposedly the right ht4c ht60 will work but there are 5 different versions, I would love to know MHE9 says call antrim diesel they have the turbo figured out but it requires some work.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

we tried to figure out which holset to put on our e9 and couldnt get any answers from the mack dealers. so we went with the borg warner. our titan has a holset on it from the factory an man does that thing go. i hate to admit it but the mp10 will walk over the e9

If I might be so bold, what is the Borg Warner p/n you are using, is it a stock replacement or a slighly larger turbo and for what hp engine? I am still trying to decide what to do with my E9-450 right now the turbo is ok but you never know and p/n's are good to have in your file cabinet.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

we tried to figure out which holset to put on our e9 and couldnt get any answers from the mack dealers. so we went with the borg warner. our titan has a holset on it from the factory an man does that thing go. i hate to admit it but the mp10 will walk over the e9

You need to work on your E9 something is wrong! The MP10 is a decent engine by the numbers and has plenty of displacement to handle big loads, I just dont know how it would measure up to an E9 with an Equal rating, from what I have heard from AU the E9 600 pulls better than the MP10 600, and the MP10 685 pulls better than anything on the continent(of course it should 685hp @ 1550rpm and 2300ft lb torque @ 1000rpm).

well our e9 is basicilly stock 500 with 1660 and the mp10 is a 555 with 2060 so it should have more than the e9, its differant power with the e9 being mechanical with a air throttle wich i think is not set right but we have never been able to fix it since we put a new pedal in it. and the mp10 being electronic and brand new . but i would love to see the e9 pass the malvo engine

well our e9 is basicilly stock 500 with 1660 and the mp10 is a 555 with 2060 so it should have more than the e9, its differant power with the e9 being mechanical with a air throttle wich i think is not set right but we have never been able to fix it since we put a new pedal in it. and the mp10 being electronic and brand new . but i would love to see the e9 pass the malvo engine

Most E9's can pass an MP10, some just havent grown up into big motors yet, if you have the ambac pump on the E9 pull the 4 bolts out of the little square box at the back of the pump and adjust the fuel rack stop, makes it smoke good. Oh and adds a bit of power, I actually removed the stop all together on one a few years back(cant remember how)

yeah ive heard of that before . i was talking to some canadian log haulers that used to run CL MACKS WITH E9450 AND THEY DID WHAT YOU SAID TO DO AND they said that there was nothing on the road that would pass them . now there company has W900s with 500 cummins and they say the old CLs would roast the new kws. our e9 is a 1989 model what pump would it have ?

I actually messed that up its 6 bolts on the governor top plate I think not 4, Ill look later, I would guess in an 89 you would have an inline Bosch but you would have to look, there were 3 different pumps one inline Bosch one v8 style Bosch and an AMBAC v8 style, my 84 and 85 have the AMBAC pump.

I have to repeat the sentiment, if a MP 10 is walking all over your E9 somethings wrong!!!

I need to get a new turbo for my E9 and am looking to get one that will bolt on with no modifications. Will a Holset ht4c work?

Thunderdog, has your E9 had any fuel turned to it? If not a good bolt on replacement for the stock turbo is a Aussi 610 turbo. I can't rember the whole part # but I know the last four digits are 5134. I think the part # is 631GC5134. This is a good turbo for a stock 500 E9, but if your gonna turn the fuel to it or put some hot injectors in it don't run it. It will cause high pyro temps and high water temps. I know from experience.

have you guys ever ran with a mp10 ? ours pulls 120k lb loads like a 460 pulls 80k lb loads it is very impresssive, im sure a tuned u e9 would give it a run but i think it would be very close . and once you started down the mountain the mp10 would leave you in a hurray as its engine brake is like nothing weve com across before. on low setting its better than a e7 on high

Thunderdog, has your E9 had any fuel turned to it? If not a good bolt on replacement for the stock turbo is a Aussi 610 turbo. I can't rember the whole part # but I know the last four digits are 5134. I think the part # is 631GC5134. This is a good turbo for a stock 500 E9, but if your gonna turn the fuel to it or put some hot injectors in it don't run it. It will cause high pyro temps and high water temps. I know from experience.

This statment is ture !The auss turbo spools real nice on these But if your turning up the fuel you need to be watching the pyro ! Which you should be anyway! we have done a few of these here on the island and every body thats done this is very happy with the results!The bonus is the dynatard works much better as well!

And you need to remember to keep an eye on the air cleaner/s your moving lots of air!

631gc5134 is a turbo for an E6, any way you can find the correct number for the 610 E9 turbo I might go that route and just watch my fuel, I think just turning the governor up a little and maybe 10% should be ok if I can get more air to it, Ill definitely not be running too heavy so exh temp shouldnt be too much of a problem.

supposedly the Mack p/n for the aus E9 610hp is 631GC5142M or AM turbo manufacturer p/n 168095 from 95-2003 there is a different p/n from 2003-2007 it is 474305 but I cant find a Mack p/n that crosses to this one. I guess I ned to ttry to find out which one is a direct swap for my 85 631GC5110.

yeah ive heard of that before . i was talking to some canadian log haulers that used to run CL MACKS WITH E9450 AND THEY DID WHAT YOU SAID TO DO AND they said that there was nothing on the road that would pass them . now there company has W900s with 500 cummins and they say the old CLs would roast the new kws. our e9 is a 1989 model what pump would it have ?

On the AMBAC V pump you take the 6 bolts out of the top of the governor cover and the fuel rack stop is right on top just move it toward the front of the engine a little at a time and try it out. If you pull the air line off the puff limiter (put a plug in the hole) you will definitely see a difference getting up to speed, I cant remember what I took out of that one years back I had to leave part in there for it to work right Ill have to pop my cover off and look at it to remember, "my lock wire is broken already-wink,wink"

84 superdog I sent ya a pm but thought others would like the info aswell! :banana:

Heres the part #nos for the auss turbo and the turbo drain line for you guys that are into it!

Barry should be able to hook you up with this stuff or any Mack dealer.

Inlet has to be modded to use this, and the charge air pipes if your installing on an engine with a V pump!

681GC334A drain tube

631GC3142AM Turbo!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

610 turbo's are shit........................go for a 525 turbo and turn the fuel up.......................and if your mp10 is bloweing the e9 i wouldnt be worrying about a turbo id be r

ebuilding the e9 or getting it tuned correctly.mp10's are gutless buckets of crap.................all our v8's blow the fuckin doors off em...........including the so called 685's................volvo inspired fuckin junk.

• Like 2

Sorry to get off subject a bit for the bloke who started the topic, but if you have a sluggish E9 with a Bosch pump, check the rubber diaphragm in the cover at the back of the pump, if it is perished or split, it wont pull at all when its getting boost.

My dad had a pretty angry 500 in an Ultra Liner and the turbo shit itself, so we put a 610 turbo on it and it went even better. It lowered fuel consumption from around 1.8km/l to around 2.2-3km/l on average. That was on single trailer work, with gross weights of around 45 ton. Now that pump had been mucked around with before we got it, and the truck flew, it was a beast, but blew a heap of smoke and ran pretty hot on the pyro. Once the 610 turbo was fitted, it brought the pyro down and turned the excess black smoke into horsepower. It seemed to have a more even range of boost and pulled better right through the rev range. The only drawback was that it took the beautiful popping noise out of the exhaust. It still sounded alright but nothing like it did with the old turbo.

Skip

i wouldnt cali our mp 10 a gutless bucket of crap. our e9 had a complete overhaul and has about 3000 hours on it now so i dont think it needs to be rebuilt. the titan with the 555 mp 10 maxidyne has the most power of any truck ive ever seen. im not saying a turned up e9 wouldnt take it but i think it would have its hands full.

• 3 weeks later...

My friend John had the stock E9 turbo rebuilt and re-worked at the same time, and he said the reworked made more boost than the holset and out performed it. He advanced his pump timing 3 degrees and tuned the pump up as much as it would allow. Hs said he could pull Mt. Eagle ( from a get on ramp at the bottom) 92,000lbs. and top it at 75 mph while passing 2 junk Petes ( that where empty).

He put on many heads due to loose valve seats, from getting them to hot the day before. He put on a set of Dale Francis heads and never had a problem again. 6.5 mpg and tons of power.

Mt Eagle is a good test for a truck, its not far from me and Ive been over it in a bunch of trucks, the last E9 truck was the best puller but I havent had a load on this one to try Mt Eagle yet. I was thinking about the Dale Francis heads the valve seats are the weak point for sure and they have it solved.

• Like 1