1974 RD685 Dump. Please help with frame and jake issues

nedly05

Anyone else have any input on the frame issues??

I've never had a truck re-railed so wouldn't even begin to know what the cost would be,but I will say this.If you like the truck and the rest is in good condition,then I wouldn't hesitate doing so,as you will have a truck that will work for you many years past the Granite you have.

i am from upstate Ny and have a really good spot for that 237 if you plan to get rid of it haha. would give you a fair price for it.

If you can find me a 300HP 676 with a jake for close to what you would give me we might be on to something!! :SMOKIE-LFT:

I've never had a truck re-railed so wouldn't even begin to know what the cost would be,but I will say this.If you like the truck and the rest is in good condition,then I wouldn't hesitate doing so,as you will have a truck that will work for you many years past the Granite you have.

Its a clean,solid truck, and the box is decent. I'm happy to spend some money on it as I feel like it will work out well. I just want to start making money with it! The frame is cracked at the end, between about 18" toward the cab. It's all behind the suspension, so I might try to do a clean patch up job (weld grind paint) and run it a while. the crack is on the outer frame, on the bottom where the rail bends and becomes the flange. Right in that bend is where the crack is. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!!

weld it up and run it. looks clean which is rare up north in the rust belt. if there isnt much rust in the frame, weld it up and run it. probably be alot of interest in a steel nose R mode,. all the wrong kind, the exporters will love it and we kinda frown upon them. im kinda collector of sorts, if i found a 676 i might want it for myself haha but i might be up for a trade if i found one for your 237. after runnin my 711 and triplex 15+ hours to Pa and back to retrieve a firetruck i would have really loved a turbo engine. god the hill suck the life right out of a natural aspirated engine, no pick up power that a turbo gives you.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Weld it up,grind it smooth and get yourself a spray can of hot rod black and you will save yourself thousands(i have kept a couple trucks going this way)! I am not an expert but i am pretty sure my rd had a 237(serial # on block was endt 675) that had a tip turbine put on it?not sure what else you need to do? I may have the remains of the tip turbine parts as well as air cleaner etc. any expert please chime in as I would like to know the differences. I am in upstate ny also but not as north as you guys.Unadilla/Otego near oneonta.......Brian

Edited by Enck762

A friend alerted me to a '03 CH613 Tri-axle on CL. It has a 460 (jake) and 18 spd. It's a converted tractor on air ride. The owner is interested in a possible trade for a truck and a dozer we have, and some cash. I feel like it might be a better option for me with the hills we contend with around here (12% + grades ) We are going to look at each others trucks next week and see what happens. I really like my '74 but if this deal goes through with the CH it won't be needed. I suppose I could doll it up and take it to shows or something. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

doll it up and take it to shows! steel nose R models and Dm;s are about extinct up here in Ny. sucks as there use to be tons runnin around a few years ago. think the exporters got most of them. been watchin a Superdog for a few years sit by this small equipment place. had a 6 cyl and a air ride cab but the cab was rotted badly, went by the other day and found out he sold it to an exporter for about 8 grand. makes you sick the prices these people will pay for a worn out truck that needs a replacement cab. you drive by 100 times, say youll stop and one days its gone.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

yup, remember that truck when it was yellow. Doug has Mike deliver me a B43 with it a few years ago that was terribly rotted but i stripped out and out the engine and tranny in a good solid double frame single axle B42 we have. thats why im searchin for B43 emblems.

Remember the picture of the pictures I sent you of your B's, and your them other B's? In one of them albums there was a picture of that R model when it was yellow.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Just my.02

I think you could sell that steel nose and find a early to mid 80s rd in better shape,more HP and and still be ahead. I don't know how heavy you run but a bad frame that goes un fixed can cost you more to fix it than just buying a good used truck. If that putter rail is cracked,frame spreading, you might be chasing issues after every season. The double rail trucks were well known for these issues.