Does anyone know how to tell the difference......

JumperAndSon

...between a 1954 GMC and a 1955 1st Series GMC because I'm starting to suspect that my pickup truck is a '55 1st series rather than a '54 like I thought it was but I don't know for sure. So does anyone know how to tell? Maybe the serial number or something like that? Because if it is a '55 then it's really rare and I don't wanna go customizing it.

I do know that it's a 1 ton, deluxe cab, long bed, with a 248 six cylinder, and hydramatic transmission.

What makes me think that it's a '55 is that my buddy has a '54 one ton just like it and it has a different dashboard, and my dash is different from any other '47-'54 GMC that I've ever seen. But I dunno. So if anyone can help me out with this, that'd be great :twothumbsup:

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

On the trim tag there should be a build date with a letter and a number. Or if you can get a picture of the tag I can check it out for you. It should be mounted under the hood.

Okay, thanks. I'll be going to the shop tomorrow and I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

Ben

:SMOKIE-RT:

OldGMCTrucks.com has a number cruncher that'll tell you all about your GMC from the ID #.

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

The doors are the same. The hoods interchange but have different emblems in different locations. The front bumper is the same. The running boards and cab filler panels are the same. The back and corner glass is the same. The seat is the same. Just about EVERYTHING else is different.

Cab: 1 piece curved windshield glass slightly different arc than 54, cab roof peak smoothed out some.

Completely different dash, different gauges, different knobs

Frame: different kick up in the rear, lower and flatter for the bed. Change to bell housing cross member to accomodate hydramatic trans which debuted in '54.

Bed: 2" deeper, flat tops, ribbed sides by the fenders, tailgate and tail lights change. It is more of a second series bed.

Front fenders: Recesses for marker lights, shorter front "overhang" where it meets the bumper.

Front grill: completely different

Front apron: shaped to match different grill

Open driveline:(drive shaft) 55 on series 1, 54 is a torque tube

235 / 248 /261 6 cylinders from 54 up with Hydramatic have a 60 psi oil pressure gauge

Most of this is from a 1955 G.M. Tech Bulletin. Dash and open drive shaft are the 2 biggest noticeable differences. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The doors are the same. The hoods interchange but have different emblems in different locations. The front bumper is the same. The running boards and cab filler panels are the same. The back and corner glass is the same. The seat is the same. Just about EVERYTHING else is different.

Cab: 1 piece curved windshield glass slightly different arc than 54, cab roof peak smoothed out some.

Completely different dash, different gauges, different knobs

Frame: different kick up in the rear, lower and flatter for the bed. Change to bell housing cross member to accomodate hydramatic trans which debuted in '54.

Bed: 2" deeper, flat tops, ribbed sides by the fenders, tailgate and tail lights change. It is more of a second series bed.

Front fenders: Recesses for marker lights, shorter front "overhang" where it meets the bumper.

Front grill: completely different

Front apron: shaped to match different grill

Open driveline:(drive shaft) 55 on series 1, 54 is a torque tube

235 / 248 /261 6 cylinders from 54 up with Hydramatic have a 60 psi oil pressure gauge

Most of this is from a 1955 G.M. Tech Bulletin. Dash and open drive shaft are the 2 biggest noticeable differences. Paul

Well it must be a '55 then because it does have the open driveshaft and the wierd dashboard. Thanks a lot for looking that up for me, I really appreciate it :D

Ben

Well it must be a '55 then because it does have the open driveshaft and the wierd dashboard. Thanks a lot for looking that up for me, I really appreciate it :D

Ben

I gathered that info a while ago in my search for a 3100 series 1955 series one to be the mate to my 1970 series one Camaro ( still a 69 body style titled as a 70) Glad it helped ya :banana:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Where are the pictures??????????????? :banana:

Well the plan now is to sell it so I can buy a '55-57 second series. My truck currenty runs and drives but it needs a master cylinder to stop so once I put a master cylinder on it, I'll post a for sale add on here and y'all can see the pics :twothumbsup:

Ben

Oh cool, did you ever find one?

Ben

I may have now :whistling:

How much are you looking for??

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'll look around and see whats here on both parts. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

That's good,I need to see what is still around here on the farms.

P.T.CHESHIRE