The Philly Construction Thread

How Jimmie and Joey doing haven't talk to them in awhile.I do have a R model in the old yard,it there with my B87 that I am doing over.I take it you drive for JDM,if you are going by our yard and see the gate open I'm most likely in there working on the B87,you should stop in.Mike Durkin

How Jimmie and Joey doing haven't talk to them in awhile.I do have a R model in the old yard,it there with my B87 that I am doing over.I take it you drive for JDM,if you are going by our yard and see the gate open I'm most likely in there working on the B87,you should stop in.Mike Durkin

I don't work ford JDM, but they are one of my Fav companies, and I have a large photo collection of their fleet. Most of the pics I took are through the fence though. I remember seeing a lot of Durkin equipment being stored in Atkinson Freight's yard.

Edited by philatruck

-Mike

That was my cousins that you saw up at Alkinson yard.The taxes got to high there on Grant Ave.

I also came across on maps that you had a yard on springmill road near Coplay where you kept the scrapers at. It sad to see your company out of business, I remember when I was little I used to go by your yard on the way to school, and it would be packed with scrapers, graders, and rock trucks.

Edited by philatruck

-Mike

Yes it is sad that we went out,but when there's no work and the work that is there isn't paying what it should be it no sence in spinning your wheels just trading $.We stated to look long and hard about the way the industy was headed back around 05-06We were involved in a major lawsuit with the city of Newark,Del that we won but that just made our thinking that much easier.It was a great run,and we would get back into it if it was worth it.I call the contractors around here the walking dead,their only problem is that they don't know to fall over.

• Like 1

Yes it is sad that we went out,but when there's no work and the work that is there isn't paying what it should be it no sence in spinning your wheels just trading $.We stated to look long and hard about the way the industy was headed back around 05-06We were involved in a major lawsuit with the city of Newark,Del that we won but that just made our thinking that much easier.It was a great run,and we would get back into it if it was worth it.I call the contractors around here the walking dead,their only problem is that they don't know to fall over.

I guess it's the same everywhere, Mike. I'm in the business on a very small scale, but I'm going to try to hang on. It sounds like y'all had a good thing going when you were in business.

Jake

I saw that picture of the Ger-Mac Superliner and had to post this pic from when one of their drivers yanked the wires down at our 413 job 2 summers ago. You can see the yellow caution tape on the wires since they were already low.

068E3739-AF8D-4A2D-B07F-DBF48A64153D-749

And here's a few from snow season 2 years ago. T-135 is my baby.

59BD36BD-0F48-4654-AB58-9275F020D72E-749

2D3476FD-8A9F-4221-A216-C6591923BD22-749

Following my old man on 95.

A223A6AC-CC6B-49F4-9D44-3CDB06AC0C7B-749

I got put in this truck as a "promotion" and I couldn't stand it. Asked to be put back in the old 86 R.

CFE0E3AF-0425-4821-830D-E76A8B478D33-749

I love your old R model! I sold my '87 R and 'upgraded' to a '96 RD... Sometimes I question my decision! Lol

Jake

I love your old R model! I sold my '87 R and 'upgraded' to a '96 RD... Sometimes I question my decision! Lol

I love it too! Makes work enjoyable lol. That's a 96 RD in the last pic of mine and it has a small motor with a t2070 7 speed in it. Couldn't pull a hill worth a damn and driving it really bummed me out.

Jakebrake86,me and my 2 brothers were the 3rd generation to be at it.Our grandfather stated back around 1920.Have pic of the old stream shovel he had back in 1925.The prices that guys are doing work for around here is crazy.we did just heavy earthmoving,airports,resiover,warehouses,highways and so forth.I guess if we look back we were smart and luckey when we sold everything,it was all paid for.Guys today at the end of the day all they have are a bunch of payments books.Hand on.Mike

Who wound up with Tom Zacny's RD and all the antique stuff?
Tom had about 75 Macks. Several trucks were given to friends. Several others were bought by friends. A bunch of trucks were scrapped, but I was assured that they really were scrap. They got much more for them from the scrapper than any collector would have paid. The Blue Arrow B70 was given to his niece. I bought it from her at Macungie last year. I had been trying to buy it from Tom for about 4 years. The parts were sold to Wayne Hetrick. I think he sold most or all of them. He had been given a B61 which he also sold. His health is not good. One of Tom's buddies got the Glascow B model wrecker and the last truck Tom bought which was an A40? dump truck. They were both at a local show last summer. I was sent some pictures of a very solid LJ dump, but the price was a little high for me. Someone bought it because it was at Macungie on a trailer with a Brockway that had belonged to Tom. Mike

post-7810-0-54837600-1359744392_thumb.jp

• Like 2