hendrickson rubber block

pmolitor

sounds like theyre both wore out the camelback shouldnt move side to side more than maybe an inch from front to rear axle with all rubber bushings, with bronze in the centerbeam it shouldnt move more than the sidewalls deflect. Have you replaced the saddle bushings and thrust plates on the axles in the Mack? there are polyurethane bushings to replace the rubber for the axles and the centerbeam on the Mack that make it comperable to the bronze bushing stability and wear. The Hendrickson really depends on which type if its the one with the single big round rubber block look at it when its loaded if you can see cracks more than a hairline anywhere its shot, the compression will be more also good rule for rubber block Hendrickson and chalmers is to swap em out every 5-10 years depending on use, for Dump truck I would go 5 you can tell a huge difference in stability afterwards. If you are getting a lot of deflection with rubber block you may need to swap the axle bushings also they are also available in urethane it lasts twice as long as the rubber and again tightens it up considerably.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

are we talking about the Hendrickson HN system or the old HD RSA style? HN is newer has 4 blocks two on each side at an angle, the RSA had two each side in place of the spring with a standard walking beam underneath? I should ahve asked before its hard to tell you what to look for when Im just guessing which one you have, my bad.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Well there you go drivers complain about everthing, and if they are nothing to complain about they can come up with something. My mack the ch has the 44 camel backs withe the bronze busings and i notice when empty like turn a hard turn like getting on the interstate it feels like it hops in the rear in when turn hard either way, now i checked the travel on the rearends when i had it loaded by backing up and turning it hard to the left, now in my experince this is the best way to check for bushing trouble get it loaded and tirn it hard to the right and stop and get out and see how much the axles walk out, now i counldn't tell that it had any at all, why does it feel like it hops in the rear when empty

Its the old style with blocks atached to the frame of the truck and walking beam under. This is the first mack ive seen with th uh s style. Seen lots of fords with it.

That suspension holds up very well, but if you run over a #57 gravel you sure know it, but with a good heavy load they ride a little better.

Well there you go drivers complain about everthing, and if they are nothing to complain about they can come up with something. My mack the ch has the 44 camel backs withe the bronze busings and i notice when empty like turn a hard turn like getting on the interstate it feels like it hops in the rear in when turn hard either way, now i checked the travel on the rearends when i had it loaded by backing up and turning it hard to the left, now in my experince this is the best way to check for bushing trouble get it loaded and tirn it hard to the right and stop and get out and see how much the axles walk out, now i counldn't tell that it had any at all, why does it feel like it hops in the rear when empty

I think every 44 camelback I have ever had has had the light weight hop, is it an automatic power divider or air shift? does it have the shocks on the front axle? I know an auto pwr divider can pop in and out in a turn when the axles are turning at different speds and that leads to the hop when empty, the shocks on the front of one of mine stopped it almost completely thats why I was looking for the numbers again this truck has auto pwr divider and its hopping in turns empty so I want em on it.
  • Like 1

Oh an on the driver comment, thats why I dont have any anymore, they are always wanting something or complaining about something Im happier working for someone else.

I think every 44 camelback I have ever had has had the light weight hop, is it an automatic power divider or air shift? does it have the shocks on the front axle? I know an auto pwr divider can pop in and out in a turn when the axles are turning at different speds and that leads to the hop when empty, the shocks on the front of one of mine stopped it almost completely thats why I was looking for the numbers again this truck has auto pwr divider and its hopping in turns empty so I want em on it.

Yeap it has the shocks on the front rear, but they are probley bad, thanks i was just wordering about the hop and it does have the auto lock.

Yeap it has the shocks on the front rear, but they are probley bad, thanks i was just wordering about the hop and it does have the auto lock.

I am actually trying to remake the bolt on camelback shock brackets, if I get a set done and they fit right I plan to make several and sell them at cost here on BMT or thru Barry hwo knows, they are nice to have for the Camelback hop issue.

• 1 month later...

Well i thank i found the problem, The truck has 24.5 285/75 low pro tires on the drives the other day i had it parked at the shope empty on the concrete and i walked to the shead and looked aT the rear drives from a disstance and i could see under the front outher rear tire, i walked over to it and checked the air, it was fine. Then i looked at the inside tire, found the size on it and it is a 11R 24.5 tall rubber. I keep finding stuff like this on this truck who ever had it before was a real lug nut, or maybe the dealer we got it from done it but they claim they just got it in. I am pretty sure this is what has been causeing the hop going to change out tires and wheel from another truck and get rid of the steel wheels and see if this helps.

A buddy of mine just added 8 new drivers at a local tire shop. He had the trailer worked on one day and had the truck siting bobtail in his yard. It looked like the left rear inner driver was low. When I walked closer I could see that it was cupping bad. I don't think he had 2k miles on the new tires. After closer inspection they had put 11R22.5 everywhere but there. It was a 295 low pro. It pays to look at things closely sometimes because people can be blind when working on someones elses stuff.

Ben

1962 B733 L cab