E9 engine

PBean

how do you ID an E9 versus the other two V8s??Looked at an R model that had a longer hood then normal .an had a v8 but looks like a more modern engine then the the v8s that i have seen in r models before.Valve covers are square rather then rounded. I thought there were three types of v8s mack made but wasnt sure if this truck might of had an engine swap at sum point.Started it up and sounds stout!!

unless there was some majic involved an E9 wont fit under the hood of an RD or RS only an RW Superliner it hangs over the frame on both sides Ive got one outside now. The early Mack v8's had bolts in the center of the valve covers, the E9 has 4 bolt covers with the bolts on the perimeter two up top and two on the bottom.the 865 has two in the center.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Lets see some pics , if its fits in a R model I want to see how

You need to forget about that idea quick unless you want a divorce, you have the right engine to hot rod we just have to do the math to get you a good Turbo and then its just timing and fuel. I still think a series 60 wastegated Turbo would make it run like hell it has the right volumetric for making tons of com for that e6.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Ok wtf man, volumetrics, and cfm I hate this auto correct crap my phone doesn't know a thing about mechanics and engineering.

Allan Nelson of Healdsburg,CA has an E-9 in a late 70's R that originally had an 866 in it and has been running for quite some time. He just gave me the cab off of it for my project. He recently retired it from daily work and is now adapting an L cab with the LT hood and fenders on it. He plans to have it done for Yakima ATHS national show.

There were 4 basic V8's.

END(T)-864-Naturally Aspirated & Turbocharged, ENDT-865 MaxiDyne-V8, ENDT-866 normal torque curve, & E9 which which originally came in three H.P. ratings 400, 440, & 500.

The E9 had the nickname "The Whispering Giant", I believe this was a Mack registered trade name.

Ron

unless there was some majic involved an E9 wont fit under the hood of an RD or RS only an RW Superliner it hangs over the frame on both sides Ive got one outside now. The early Mack v8's had bolts in the center of the valve covers, the E9 has 4 bolt covers with the bolts on the perimeter two up top and two on the bottom.the 865 has two in the center.

a e9 will fit in a 1973 rs r model a friend of mine has one i willtry to get pictures it was at hagerstown factory at powerday yesterday

how do you ID an E9 versus the other two V8s??Looked at an R model that had a longer hood then normal .an had a v8 but looks like a more modern engine then the the v8s that i have seen in r models before.Valve covers are square rather then rounded. I thought there were three types of v8s mack made but wasnt sure if this truck might of had an engine swap at sum point.Started it up and sounds stout!!

Look at the valve covers. If they are square it's an e9 if rounded covers its a early v8. Also what trans is in it. If its a 5 speed it may give a clue. Or it may be a Detroit? Any of these will fit in a R700

is there any truth to the tell that the last E-9's were slightly over 1000 cubes?

I used to have the p/n for oversized liners/pistons they add a few cubes over the 1000 mark I cant remember what the actual displacement was now Ill try to find the info. I know the Killer Mack and Buckeye Bulldog are over 1000, way over I was told. not to mention quad turboed and nitrous and water injected, you know for fuel economy.

An E9 has 3 oil filters, and 865/6 generally only have 2 and an 864 will generally have an external cartridge oil filter fitted.

An E9 has a square looking sump, an 865/5 is similar but is rounded outward between the two sides and an 864 has a shallow sump with deep well section at one end.

E9 has 2 separate exhaust ports per head where the earlier V8s only have one, and the 865/6 have 4 bolts pre port and the 864s only have 2.

864 has a tin rocker cover which uses a mongrel gasket on a rolled sealing surface like a 2 valve E6. The 865/6 were like a cast alloy cover seemed to have 2 different styles, one had sharper lines and the other was rounded, but used the same gasket. E9 looks more like an E6 4 valve cover.

The 864s had a rotary fuel pump except for a few very late ones, and had no turbo, so they are pretty easy to tell apart.

Thats a few changes that you can see quite easily.

Skip

An E9 has 3 oil filters, and 865/6 generally only have 2 and an 864 will generally have an external cartridge oil filter fitted.

An E9 has a square looking sump, an 865/5 is similar but is rounded outward between the two sides and an 864 has a shallow sump with deep well section at one end.

E9 has 2 separate exhaust ports per head where the earlier V8s only have one, and the 865/6 have 4 bolts pre port and the 864s only have 2.

864 has a tin rocker cover which uses a mongrel gasket on a rolled sealing surface like a 2 valve E6. The 865/6 were like a cast alloy cover seemed to have 2 different styles, one had sharper lines and the other was rounded, but used the same gasket. E9 looks more like an E6 4 valve cover.

The 864s had a rotary fuel pump except for a few very late ones, and had no turbo, so they are pretty easy to tell apart.

Thats a few changes that you can see quite easily.

Skip

Skip

The ENDT-864 had two turbos-kept the breeze hose clamp co. in business!

Ron

The ENDT-864 had the rotary American Bosch PSM or PSJ pump.

We had one in a '67 "F" model F719T-1093 it was unit #189

The END(T)-864 had 10-11/16 head studs with old fashioned asbestos sandwich style head gaskets.

They were very prone to blowing head gaskets, the turbo'd one was even worse.

We kept a spare head gasket and manifold gaskets under the mattress in the bunk of #189 for problems out on the road.

Not that the driver was going to fix it but these things were just exotic enough that no one usually had parts in stock for them.

This way we eliminated the parts problem.

END(T)-864 head gaskets went through quite a few revisions over the years I think the last ones were "E"'s at the end of the part#.

Ron