converting Eaton 9 speed to 13 speed

dds92780

An RTX14609B is a .73 overdrive. The 14613 0verdrive transmission is made up of a direct 9 speed with an overdrive rear box which gives you a .87 not a .73 final drive ratio. The 14609B is over driven in the front box, the 14613 is over driven in the rear box. By adding the 14613 Rear box you compound the overdrive to a .63 final drive. Other than a rear box, a matching auxiliary drive gear is all you need to make the swap. You wont change anything at all as far as ratios in the first five gears. Highway speed in 9 direct will remain the same. You might find something you can use as you start splitting the top four, probably not. You could possibly set your hair on fire.

• Like 1

First of all i wanted to thank ALL of YOU for sharing your superior knowledge of all this so far!

The truck i drive is a RD mack with a e7 350 in it topping out at 1800 rpm. i have 22.5 tires on it. A RTXF14609B trans with .73 overdrive. I have 442 rears. From what i gather so far is that if i can get a 13 speed in it and change an auxillary to .63 overdrive i would have a setup that still does what mine does but split the top gears.

Would this give me a lower crusing rpm in top gear at 65?

would my top speed still be 65?

would my low hole still be the same?

I was looking at a chart for the 8ll and it does look like a good trans for the low hole but on top end looks the exact same for every ratio up till 8

Is doing this swap going to increase mpg at all?

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

First of all i wanted to thank ALL of YOU for sharing your superior knowledge of all this so far!

The truck i drive is a RD mack with a e7 350 in it topping out at 1800 rpm. i have 22.5 tires on it. A RTXF14609B trans with .73 overdrive. I have 442 rears. From what i gather so far is that if i can get a 13 speed in it and change an auxillary to .63 overdrive i would have a setup that still does what mine does but split the top gears.

Would this give me a lower crusing rpm in top gear at 65?

would my top speed still be 65?

would my low hole still be the same?

I was looking at a chart for the 8ll and it does look like a good trans for the low hole but on top end looks the exact same for every ratio up till 8

Is doing this swap going to increase mpg at all?

If you can change the aux gear like one of the guys said on your trans and add a back box off a 14613 speed you will make it a double overdrive, yes you will gain more top end and can split the last 4 gears, like i said i ran a superliner with this trans and it helped it out on the top end about 15 or 20 miles an hour, but if your engine will only turn 1800 you would probely lung bad in high gear you would proberly want to have the engine rpm rasied to 2100 or 2200. Yes your low hole would still be the same it would not effect that. The superliner had a mack 9 speed in it to start with which was a overdrive but the truck was gearbound on the freeway, doing the swap helped it on the highway, but it did have a 3406b 400 hp cat in it. I mention the 8LL because i thank your trans is what it is made from they just add a deep reduction box on it they both have a good 1 gear and the ratio going up in the gears are the same, with the big hole overdrive. In my opinion i would talk to a good tranny shop if i could find one and see if just putting a 13 speed back box on your transmission is the way to go, that way you keep you low hole instead of getting a RTO14613 and fliping it which would help you on the top end but you do loose the low hole when you flip it because the ratios in each gear are high after this the ratio between them stay the same so what you gain on top you loose on the bottom.

If you can change the aux gear like one of the guys said on your trans and add a back box off a 14613 speed you will make it a double overdrive, yes you will gain more top end and can split the last 4 gears, like i said i ran a superliner with this trans and it helped it out on the top end about 15 or 20 miles an hour, but if your engine will only turn 1800 you would probely lung bad in high gear you would proberly want to have the engine rpm rasied to 2100 or 2200. Yes your low hole would still be the same it would not effect that. The superliner had a mack 9 speed in it to start with which was a overdrive but the truck was gearbound on the freeway, doing the swap helped it on the highway, but it did have a 3406b 400 hp cat in it. I mention the 8LL because i thank your trans is what it is made from they just add a deep reduction box on it they both have a good 1 gear and the ratio going up in the gears are the same, with the big hole overdrive. In my opinion i would talk to a good tranny shop if i could find one and see if just putting a 13 speed back box on your transmission is the way to go, that way you keep you low hole instead of getting a RTO14613 and fliping it which would help you on the top end but you do loose the low hole when you flip it because the ratios in each gear are high after this the ratio between them stay the same so what you gain on top you loose on the bottom.

Oh yea and if you have bud wheels you can go with a 11r24.5 tire and it will help you on top end as well.

very good info thanks. so it looks like i can keep my existing trans and just add a back box to make it a 13spd with the same gearing that way i can get more out of it on hills? i dont do a whole lot of highway driving. i do mostly dump work but when i find myself on the highway or a main road i try to do 55mph or so but crusing at 60 or so with the rpms down lower would help

After researching more i have looked into the RTLOF 14713A and it seems to be the perfect fit for my setup. i get a first gear of 8.64 vs the 7.47 i currently have giving me a better low hole. low gear sacrifices .25 which it makes up in for 1st gear though so i like it. im thinking though if i get this trans with my already low top end 442s then low gears would be even shorter but almost the same in the top gears it shows with the abiltiy to split them on the high side. does this seem like a good setup? or do i gotta switch the rear ends too? i wish i would of known about all this stuff before choosing a truck ;(

• 3 years later...

Ok I just researched more and im even wondering if my transmission can be converted to a 13 speed with some sort of back box upgrade I call it in Fullerton Road Ranger to talk to a technical person but they didn't know if I could or not all they did was tell me what transmission they would recommend after researching more on my own online about people that have done swaps it seems that the only ones that have the letter C at the end are convertible what can you do with a B Series transmission is there a way to make this current transmission into a 13 speed by just adding some sort of kit.I have no idea where to begin to look

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...