Oil Leak:

Rob

I've got an oil leak in my V8 Mack engine that is coming from one of the "buttress" bolts through the side of the block to the number three main bearing cap. My question is can I remove the bolt, after cleaning apply sealer to the threads and or a gasket and retorque the bolt? Should I remove the oil pan, and remove the main cap bolts first? Never worked on this engine other than the governor and it doesn't leak oil anyplace else.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Like on an FE Ford, the cross bolts can be removed and re-installed without fuss as they are put in last anyway and don't affect main bolt torque.

Does the Mack have spacers? Or does the cap come right over to the side of block?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Like on an FE Ford, the cross bolts can be removed and re-installed without fuss as they are put in last anyway and don't affect main bolt torque.

Does the Mack have spacers? Or does the cap come right over to the side of block?

Hi Larry, thanks for the input. I do not know if there are spacers or not. The pan gasket appears to be fairly new, (under all the grease buildup) and I've not had it apart. It only leaks at the one bolt and I've done nothing with it yet.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Here is a shot of the bottom of my race motor. I usually put a dab of silicone on the washers before putting side bolts in. These motors use spacers to make up the space between block and cap. I just wondered as the spacer MIGHT fall out if you pull bolt out. It shouldn't but if it's a loose enough fit it might drop enough to not get bolt back in. When putting it together you torque mains, then install side bolts and pull down to 42lb/ft.

I've never seen the bottom of a V8 Mack so I was curious.

post-115-1186162295_thumb.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 2 weeks later...
There are no spacers on my 500 V-8. Caps go right up to the block. I do not know if the older V-8's are the same.

Thank you for your reply. HK Trucking had sent me a scan verifying that there were no spacers in this engine. The repair went flawless and no longer leaks.

Thanks again to all,

Rob