R686ST with hood scoop

ok so heres a question. what should the color and number be on the 300+? mine looks to have been rebuilt one time with a 237 block? cause the number on the timing cover says ENDTB675 but the metal stamped tag on the side behind the pump says ETAZ673T ?. never paid much attention as ive only been around 673's and 237's so i dont know what the block stamping number should be on the front. didnt know if they are all stamped as 675 blocks? the bell housin and block look to have been gold at one time and painted over with black and i know the engine was a fresh rebuilt before they scrapped the truck. usually rebuilders paint everything black or machinery gray.

Mine was a copper color.From the brochures,it looked to be the correct color for the '79 anyway.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

• 2 years later...

I was wondering does anybody no were New Zealand Macks came from I always assumed they were Aussie Macks but I was reading a heavy haulage book on Dales of NZ and saw one of there R models had a bonnet scoop anyway then I saw when I was looking at something else yesterday and came across another NZ R model Mack with a bonnet scoop so woop dee do you say funny thing is I have never seen a R model in Australia with a bonnet scoop so was wondering were did NZ get there Macks from or did Australia do a custom run for kiwi land ? anybody no ?

Paul

I was wondering does anybody no were New Zealand Macks came from I always assumed they were Aussie Macks but I was reading a heavy haulage book on Dales of NZ and saw one of there R models had a bonnet scoop anyway then I saw when I was looking at something else yesterday and came across another NZ R model Mack with a bonnet scoop so woop dee do you say funny thing is I have never seen a R model in Australia with a bonnet scoop so was wondering were did NZ get there Macks from or did Australia do a custom run for kiwi land ? anybody no ?

Paul

Good question Paul! I don't know for sure except for a pair of R700's built in either the U.S.A. or CANADA depending on which story you read! What I've read was they were "custom built" R.H.D. over there and exported to N.Z. for heavy haulage. I first came across one on Ebay, a long time ago, still got pics! Mick :D

:mack1:

ok here is a question while on topic of the tip turbines....Why was it that some 285's only had the air charge cooler and others had the air/water charge cooler? My truck is air only but have seen other 285s with the air and water set up?

I thought that the 285 was air only and the 300+ was both air and water?....

Al's right,the 300+ was copper colored until 1980, then they painted everything that shitty orange color for a short while.....

I bought a new R Model in 1980 with the 350HP that had the water/air cooler, tip turbine fan, painted orange. The truck was a hoss..! It had the RR 8spd with the deep reduction selector switch mounted in the center/top of the dash. I lost the truck 12/18/1988 to a sleezy thief. It was never recovered which led to the purchase of the Superliner I now own..!

"If it ain't got a motor, I ain't interested.!!"

OK all I thought I better add some pictures of these Kiwi R models that I was talking about the thing that I found unusual was that I always thought or should I say assumed that Kiwi Macks would have come from Mack Australia but having never seen any R models with bonnet scoops in Australia I thought I would ask the question which only Mick replied and not saying he is wrong but I cant imagine they would import into Kiwi land from the states when just across the ditch they make RHD Macks as big as you want and also I was under the impression from reading through posts here that only Aussie R models had the four headlights I could have all of this wrong and most likely have anyway hope you all enjoy the pictures

ok these first two pictures are from the book "Heavy Haulage by Dales" top read that book I have read the print off it my type off book more pictures than words :thumb:

bottom picture stolen from the road ranger blog I put a link up else were the other day Trev the blog man says its ok to use any of his pics as long as we give him credit done deal interesting Blog thingo to look at

scan0003_zpsb546f9a2.jpgscan0004_zpsdaba39c5.jpg1984R612RS_zps9852a228.jpg

• Like 2

OK all I thought I better add some pictures of these Kiwi R models that I was talking about the thing that I found unusual was that I always thought or should I say assumed that Kiwi Macks would have come from Mack Australia but having never seen any R models with bonnet scoops in Australia I thought I would ask the question which only Mick replied and not saying he is wrong but I cant imagine they would import into Kiwi land from the states when just across the ditch they make RHD Macks as big as you want and also I was under the impression from reading through posts here that only Aussie R models had the four headlights I could have all of this wrong and most likely have anyway hope you all enjoy the pictures

ok these first two pictures are from the book "Heavy Haulage by Dales" top read that book I have read the print off it my type off book more pictures than words :thumb:

bottom picture stolen from the road ranger blog I put a link up else were the other day Trev the blog man says its ok to use any of his pics as long as we give him credit done deal interesting Blog thingo to look at

scan0003_zpsb546f9a2.jpgscan0004_zpsdaba39c5.jpg1984R612RS_zps9852a228.jpg

Paul, I didn't mean every Mack was built in the USA, just two R700's a one off order! At least that's what I've read! Maybe some of our NZ mates might know the story. The R700's were if I remember correctly (hard to do these days :blush:) for the company in your first two pics, I'll have a look for pic. Mick :D

Paul there was few that came into the country with the scoop ,but they found that the small air filter for the tip turbine clogged up in no time in our outback conditions that's why we use the 16" Donaldson filters here in oz. same with the dual unit air filters that the yanks use on their coolies. a good friend of mine did his apprenticeship for company that owned the r700s ,he remembers they were sourced from the states because they were on 24" tyre /rim combo and they were a wide track, MTA couldn't /wouldn't supply them .when he comes back Monday from nz i'll ask him for more info steve

I was just wondering Mick because I had never seen or heard of the R models with a bonnet scoop I was just trying to educate my self most likely a waste of time these days :)

Paul

Knowledge is never a waste of time Paul, me old mate! I've got some pics of the two R700's I'm on about, just searching through my crap for more! As for your original question on this topic, I'm gonna go with N.Z. build simply because as like you I've never seen a Mack with a scoop here in OZ! Mick :lol:

Paul there was few that came into the country with the scoop ,but they found that the small air filter for the tip turbine clogged up in no time in our outback conditions that's why we use the 16" Donaldson filters here in oz. same with the dual unit air filters that the yanks use on their coolies. a good friend of mine did his apprenticeship for company that owned the r700s ,he remembers they were sourced from the states because they were on 24" tyre /rim combo and they were a wide track, MTA couldn't /wouldn't supply them .when he comes back Monday from nz i'll ask him for more info steve

There ya go, didn't see this before my last reply! Steve, I've read a couple of different stories about the two R700's but what you've said matches the first one so I reckon that's gonna be it, Mick :twothumbsup:

Thanks fellas I didnt no that the states of canada made RHD trucks I wouldnt have thought there would be any call for them but it shows how little we know about what went on back in the day

Steve it's amazing the conditions which we worked trucks under even as late as 70's and 80's things have improved a lot in the last 30 years or should I say roads have improved a lot it dosnt surprise me these scoops blocked back in the day here in Australia as I dont think anywhere else in the world had conditions like here

Mick in the book on Dales those R 700,s are in there good read that book you blokes will have to get some one to stick a copy under the chrissy tree for you

Paul

• 4 years later...
13 hours ago, david wild said:

The CLs we bought in Canada all came with hood scoops, also had 460 xt, the dealer installed them said they got more air, I think they worked, engine would get warm on long pulls out west. I would put  one on the CH in the yard if I could find one.

If I remember I think Alex had a new one for a R for sale not long ago.  

17 hours ago, david wild said:

The CLs we bought in Canada all came with hood scoops, also had 460 xt, the dealer installed them said they got more air, I think they worked, engine would get warm on long pulls out west. I would put  one on the CH in the yard if I could find one.

Where did you buy those in Canada. Cambridge Mack bought most of Tallman transports trucks at there sale. They had some with hood scoops or extra vents.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:02 AM, alex g said:

Where did you buy those in Canada. Cambridge Mack bought most of Tallman transports trucks at there sale. They had some with hood scoops or extra vents.

Hood scoops cut into CL hoods is very common in Western Canada. 

They use to do it to E9 powered units first, then carried onto E tech powered units. Macks engineering dept. Already figured out they could get enough air with what was provided from factory. These guys out west just "knew better".