R686ST with hood scoop

Man, that picture you just put up Vinny makes me want to acquire a certain Western RS700L daycab not to far from home. only thing is the guy that owns it is a complete ass and won't part with anything unless you give him 5 times what it's worth and my funds are a little bit low at the moment haha

Brian

1959 B61T

ok here is a question while on topic of the tip turbines....Why was it that some 285's only had the air charge cooler and others had the air/water charge cooler? My truck is air only but have seen other 285s with the air and water set up?

I thought that the 285 was air only and the 300+ was both air and water?

what does it take to convert a 285 to a 300+ Is it as simple as a charge cooler and pump setting change? im putting in the 12 speed soon and have a water/air cooler. It would be cool to convert it over to a 300+ if its not much trouble.

I had a 76 and a 77 R686 and both had the 2 pipes on the air cleaner. i have seen 73-74-75 that had the scoops. the 300+s that i have seen had the robert bosh pump, the 237 and 285 had the american bosh. Ron

I had a 76 and a 77 R686 and both had the 2 pipes on the air cleaner. i have seen 73-74-75 that had the scoops. the 300+s that i have seen had the robert bosh pump, the 237 and 285 had the american bosh. Ron

The 237 and 285 were Maxidyne engines and the 300+ was not.

ok so what engine was in the Moonfire Mack? they say it was a RL712LST? had chrome valve covers and the chrome hubs and circus painted rims. definately had a quadbox in it and Charles Napier pounded the shit out of it. unless that was just dubbed in for the movie.

712 was the designation for the 300+ which hadn't been introduced yet, but it looks like a 6. A 673 maybe??

Jim

think that red R model is one of Tackaberry's truck Vinny. think he had it out to Springfield and Macungie. i remember the stretched out camelbacks. i thought to moonfire truck probably had a endt673B or C in it. on another note, anyone know what happened to the Moonfire Mack? think it might have needed the quadbox in it after filming was done or at least take the plug out of the passenger side of the case and clean the teeth out of the rockbox. the FL700 in the movie also had a quadbox in it and had a 6 cylinder Mack with chrome valve covers

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

think that red R model is one of Tackaberry's truck Vinny. think he had it out to Springfield and Macungie. i remember the stretched out camelbacks. i thought to moonfire truck probably had a endt673B or C in it. on another note, anyone know what happened to the Moonfire Mack? think it might have needed the quadbox in it after filming was done or at least take the plug out of the passenger side of the case and clean the teeth out of the rockbox. the FL700 in the movie also had a quadbox in it and had a 6 cylinder Mack with chrome valve covers

Doug told me it was Tackaberry's buddy's truck. I thought it was a Tackaberry truck too.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

ok so heres a question. what should the color and number be on the 300+? mine looks to have been rebuilt one time with a 237 block? cause the number on the timing cover says ENDTB675 but the metal stamped tag on the side behind the pump says ETAZ673T ?. never paid much attention as ive only been around 673's and 237's so i dont know what the block stamping number should be on the front. didnt know if they are all stamped as 675 blocks? the bell housin and block look to have been gold at one time and painted over with black and i know the engine was a fresh rebuilt before they scrapped the truck. usually rebuilders paint everything black or machinery gray.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Doug told me it was Tackaberry's buddy's truck. I thought it was a Tackaberry truck too.

The red R model does belong to Steve Hudson who is a friend of Tackaberry's.

Super nice guy. Sometimes brings some of Tack's stuff to shows as well as his own.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

The red R model does belong to Steve Hudson who is a friend of Tackaberry's.

Super nice guy. Sometimes brings some of Tack's stuff to shows as well as his own.

Jim

This time there was an awesome Convoy. First was a Detroit powered Marmon, hauling a giant yellow REO on a trailer, then came the Dodge Big Horn (Papas dream truck) and then that R model. Was pretty cool.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

712 was the designation for the 300+ which hadn't been introduced yet, but it looks like a 6. A 673 maybe??

The Moonfire Mack was an RL-711LST. 250-horse 673 engine with a quad-box.

The cab over had a 300-hp ENDT 864 also with a quad-box.

I

remember all of this from my younger days due to the fact I ate up everything written in Mike Parkhurst's Overdrive back in the late 60's, early 70's and waited hungrily to see the movie.

I believe the specs are included in the December 1971 edition when the trucks were listed as being up for sale.

The Moonfire Mack was an RL-711LST. 250-horse 673 engine with a quad-box.

The cab over had a 300-hp ENDT 864 also with a quad-box.

I

remember all of this from my younger days due to the fact I ate up everything written in Mike Parkhurst's Overdrive back in the late 60's, early 70's and waited hungrily to see the movie.

I believe the specs are included in the December 1971 edition when the trucks were listed as being up for sale.

Thanks. The R is listed incorrectly in the IMCdb web site as a 712 which I believe wasn't introduced until around '75-'76.

There are some Overdrive scans online but not all pages are available. Nothing from 12/71 on the Moonfire trucks, but the R and the F were all over the covers back then.

http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truck_magazines/truck-and-trucking-/1971-overdrive-magazine/

Jim