Opinions of Fuller RT-9509 trans:

Rob

Found one of these cheap, (scrap value) that is known to be good. Has a #2 bell on it so wondering how it would go behind my A40 EN-377 engine? It was originally behind an 8V-71.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Here are some thoughts of mine (this won't take long).

The first I had heard of this tranny is when the "Big 3" truck engine manufacturers decided to follow Mack's lead and develop high torque rise engines in the mid 70's. I wonder if the engine it was behind was the "Fuel Squeezer" 8V-71TT? It seems that a traditional 8V-71 may struggle a bit with only 9 speeds but there were other bad decisions made in those days, such as mating a 6 speed Spicer with a DD 6V-92TT. I remember reading complaints in Overdrive magazine from drivers about that setup, mostly regarding too big a step between gears. The 9509 should have the same ratios as the low and direct gears of an RT/RTO-9513, basically a 13 speed without the ability to split the top four gears.

As far as putting it behind your old gasser-that's a bit out of my league.

Jim

It will be 1 to 1 in high, about what you could hope for in any gas set up. The ratios will be close to the same as a 14609. The big differences are the spur cut gearing, and smaller counter shaft bearings. They don't hold up well behind a big engine, without a bearing upgrade. Otherwise they are tough enough.

They came outb in 1965.

also what Bollwevil said.And you can put a 1 7/8 or 2" input shaft pull or push in it.Thr first one was a RT 909 the the 9509 which was only difference was one had a hollow shaft and the other one had a solid main shaft.

glenn akers