Bigdogtrucker

Loooong week at the show!

Had a great time,met a lot of nice people!Only bad part was waiting a few hours to get in on a 93 degree day...The old B did just fine in the heat,wife and daughter also had a good time.Only one C model there(didn't get mine there)and the guy works it on a regular basis!!!It has a 673 non turbo,manual steering and a 10 speed duplex.The owner has had the truck since 1983.Here's a few pics.

post-2598-0-40456400-1338660969_thumb.jp

post-2598-0-07043100-1338661001_thumb.jp

post-2598-0-43170300-1338661306_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Does the show going on whole a week?

Nice looking pictures!

Especially the last one.

Vlad

I went over this morning. The good news is that it was not dusty. It was a tad damp but the truck turn out was pretty good. It was nice to see another B-815 there. I learned that some of the subtle things I wondered about are indeed on this truck too so I assume they are correct. What was that massive blue Kenworth? Does anybody know anything about that beast? Glad I went to see the local stuff. Maybe next time I can bring my tuck along too.

Your truck looks great and it's good to hear the C model is still working. Thanks for posting.

What was that massive blue Kenworth? Does anybody know anything about that beast?

All I know is it was BIG

DSC05685.jpg

DSC05689.jpg

Went to get my truck and the rain stopped,thank god as my wipers aren't working right.The quick trip home was trouble free.Edited-Just talked to the people i bought the truck from.The son is 51,and father is 86.They were at the show today and saw the truck.Brought back lot's of memmories for them both!

post-2598-0-91297600-1338673251_thumb.jp

The fellow who owned that big blue KW says it was originally designed by Thiokol as an off-road missile hauling tractor, which makes sense. The numbers on the side panel behind the driver's door looked like Air Force ID numbering. Sure was an impressive monster, albeit with a surprisingly light looking driveshaft and U-joints. Massive rear ends, massive transmission, huge engine and a really weak looking driveshaft. Strange - but I'm sure there was a reason.

The same fellow also owned two other very unique trucks - one was a half-track ski vehicle that supposedly was a school bus in Canada during the winter season. Pretty interesting.

All in all, this was probably the best venue I have ever attended for one of these big ATHS shows. Very nice facility and a very nice turn-out of trucks.

Paul Van Scott

• Like 1

That Kenworth I believe is Daryll Gushees from New GLoucester Maine. Has a big collection of toys. Daryll frequently is on the ATHS forum , maybe you can get the story of the KW.

It has a V-12 Cummins. Daryll said 900 HP ? Joe D.

It's a Kw 953,a 963 or a 983. Originally made for Middle Eastern oil field work V 12 Cummins in most and the 953 had twin rads for cooling in 130 degree heat or better. The USAF used them to transport Minuteman missiles to desert silos at one time.

http://www.paccar.com/paccint/Kenworth/963_FamilyBrochure.pdf

Id put a dump bed on that blue beast and rock some more lease roads of illinois.... My chiropractor would be proud... :blush:

The same fellow also owned two other very unique trucks - one was a half-track ski vehicle that supposedly was a school bus in Canada during the winter season.

That would be his "Linn". Very cool piece. Saw it at Syracuse in '03.

post-10459-0-53657200-1338991220_thumb.jDaryl Gushee of Maine had several very interesting pieces at the show. He had two tracked vehicles there. the blue Bombideer bus and the 1935 Linn Snow plow.

He was next to me at the Kemp auction, very interesting and knowlegable gentleman. Paul

For the small drive shaft maybe it is because the traction is with planatary and mybe you do not need as big shaft

as when it is regular differentials . not sure but plausible . and yes the big Ken's are for oil field use .

For the small drive shaft maybe it is because the traction is with planatary and mybe you do not need as big shaft

as when it is regular differentials . not sure but plausible . and yes the big Ken's are for oil field use .

The Clarke Powershift used it it will vary converter stall speed under extreme load and split drive ratios before you will damage drive train parts. It was designed for the XM70 Abrams proto type with the turbine and is used in a lot of ultra heavy equipment.