BKrois

Connecticut Construction Trucks

Looks like we may be losing another Mack holdout. Just saw a brand new Volvo on 84 all done up for Herb Holden. 

49 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Well shouldn't be a surprise in Conn right?  Doesn't Gabrielli sell both Mack and Volvo??  Hate to say it, but the clock is ticking IMO.

Gabrielli sells Mack , Volvo Kenworth, Hino, Ford, Autocar and Isuzu. I know not all dealers in CT carry the full line.

Edited by 41chevy

When you are affiliated with large truck orders  they listen when you buy one new one and spend 40 k in parts and they treat you like shit and don't listen about problems and over charge on parts and services 

Five Volvos lettered for Holden? That would be beyond test vehicles for a small fleet.

Palumbo trucking in N .Branford was a die hard Peterbuilt fan bought 2 Volvos traded them in for 2 new Macks pretty sharp and RED.

Ran into a Herb Holden CL 700 low boy driver. He said all the new dump trucks are Volvo. They have been Mack for years. Not good news for Mack.

Another company to the dark side.  Saw a new T 880 for Manafort pulling a dump trailer. These used to be Granites. long time Mack user although they did have a T800 lowboy.

Mack not having a heavy haul option allows competetors to get a foot in the door

When I worked in Greenwich in the early 2000s, two companies Deluca & Sons and Riccardi Bros had great looking Macks. I am not sure if they are around or still have Macks.

Saw a Manafort T880 KW dump today in Portland CT to go with the T880 tractor I saw previously. :o not a bad looking truck really. Looks like they are dropping tan and brown color scheme and going all brown.

Time to reboot this thread. 

VMS Construction's triaxle in the yard in Vernon

Southington Highway Dept. pretreating with the RD. They also have a steelnose S/A and a Granite rolloff. 

IMG_20190204_105916843 (2).jpg

IMG_20190220_142442055_TOP (2).jpg

• Like 1

Ok, my small addition to the thread. Spotted this Granite in November 2018 not far from Bethlehem CT. Not ready to name the company, the guys provided pavement works. Sure not a state of the art picture but at least it's not Volvo or Pete.

IMG_20181120_154842.1.jpg

• Like 1

A Gateway tri axle Mack Granite passed me on 95. Used to be all Pete fleet.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, james j neiweem said:

Those 3 doses not make up the loss . USPS switch to Petes along with many others .

Edited by blackdog2

IIRC USPS is replacing straight trucks- the Navistar conventionals and the few Cargo cabovers bought back around '04 with new Pete conventionals and cabovers. The horde of '06 Mack tractors are still around, though USPS has been leasing some new trucks from Ryder to run in areas of California where emissions regulations are pushing the old Macks aside.

On 5/3/2019 at 1:22 PM, james j neiweem said:

Must have been the same truck I saw on 91 last week. Looked very new.