What a day:

Rob

Today at the shop I wanted to get the brakes off of my drop deck which was already staged in the shop. I thought this may be easy but once into the job it was discovered to be a wee bit difficult. I thought several times about calling Glenn for advice or put him on a plane to help me out. There was not a single thing on that came apart without the perverbial "heat and beat" treatment. It started when I removed the outer wheel bearing. I had to make a puller using bolts into the hubcab circle, bearing against the spindle to pull the drum as I couldn't pull it by hand. All eight anchor pins, and eight rollers, were stuck but fast. I destroyed one shoe core as the pin just would not come loose from it. The actual shoe thickness were about 50% but some had fractured linings. The drums are virgin and will be turned for runout. One hub will require new bearings as I noticed "fretting" to the tapered rollers. I don't think the brakes have actually worked on this trailer for at least 10, and possibly 15 years. There are actually no marks on the rollers, nor "S" cams where pressure to spread the shoes would be evident. I was able to get the slacks and clevises off with the help of my "Tiger Tool" pullers for this purpose. The cam bushings are nylon but absolutely dry as far as grease and stuck. Using a 2lb sledge and soaking the bushing area with "Blaster", I knocked the cams back and forth about 1/2" until they basically slid free of the bushings.

Remember me asking about internally stripped slack adjusters? Well, three of them suffer this phenomena. By hand, you can hold the body, and rotate the splines almost 1/4 around. Three of them were different types. Only two were a match to each other. The trailer obviously has been neglected.

I wanted to drop all the parts off at the vendor for the sublet work and parts today but was running so late I called to let them know I'd be a "no show". It is rescheduled for Monday morning. I'm going to install spring brakes on an axle also as the trailer now has none. With my R612, the trailer likes to push back if the wheels are not chocked, but the brakes were not working.This truck sets quite high with the fifth wheels and 11RX24.5 tires. I feel safer for both myself, equipment, and anybody else if the trailer has spring brakes also.

Tomorrow's project will be to cut the rub rail off both side as it is bent up badly, and remove the rusted pipe spool spacers. The deck treadways are 3/16ths treadplate which is also bent up, with some small holes rusted through. I will eventually replace the deck.

The final project for the trailer yet this next month will be to drop the front six feet of the neck on the ground and rebuild with new steel. I'll use the old neck for the pattern. It is rusted very badly and to the point I consider the trailer unsafe to be used as the webs of the neck beams are literally gone from rust and the fifth wheel plate is knife edge sharp.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Rob, sounds like you've had quite a day. Good luck with your trailer improvements and I'm sure you'll make it better than factory.

Well thanks Tim. I try to not half ass anything in repairs. I really like the trailer, just wish it had had a better life.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

DId you ever show us a picture of your trailer?
When I first got it in Feb, of 2011 I had posted photos of it. It is a single drop 42' with hydraulic ramps on the rear of the dovetail. I'll see if I can find the photos to refer back to. I didn't snap any today as I was filty both inside and out, (according to "Momma"). Rob

Some peoples idea of preventive maintenance is kicking the tires.

I know. This one really was a rag. The seller, (Joseph Equipment in New Hampshire) refunded a $1000.00 on the purchase price as he didn't see the rust was so bad in the neck. I do think them an honest seller. He offered to reverse the sale but wouldn't reimburse for freight so I kept it. In hindsight, I'm still glad I kept it as I looked a long time for something similar and they were over $10K additional. I can rebuild easily and be less than $10K in this one.

Rob

Ahhhh.......you were dealing with Brian. Always an adventure!
Yes, couldn't remember the name. Like I said, he was fair with me I felt. When I sent the photos of what I was talking about he readily admitted he really didn't look at the neck as the truck pulling it had full fenders and it was hard to see. Now I'm not one that expects something for nothing and he was willing to work with it. I could have taken it back to him, accepted a refund, shook hands and been friends. Things go wrong at times but it's how you right those wrongs is what counts. The trouble was I'd been looking for a trailer under $10K for about four years and couldn't find anything I could justify expense for. This one although older, had the low profile tires that are near new, pierced frame, and is very heavy built with hydraulic ramps. I usually go through brake and mechanical systems when I purchase something so the cost there is basically negated. The shoes looked good from the side, bit the hardware supporting them did not work and he never pulled the trailer.

I probably would not purchase another trailer sight unseen like I did this one, but it is coming along nicely, and I'm not upside down in it. When I get done in the next couple of months it should be nice.

Rob

When I first got it in Feb, of 2011 I had posted photos of it. It is a single drop 42' with hydraulic ramps on the rear of the dovetail. I'll see if I can find the photos to refer back to. I didn't snap any today as I was filty both inside and out, (according to "Momma"). Rob

When I'm filthy, I make sure and and wash my hands in the kitchen sink (and of course, dont clean them very well and leave a nice black streak on her dis towel!)! Aggravates the sh*t outta momma!

thanks, i 'member now...those hyd ramps look to be real labor savers!

I wanted a trailer heavy enough to load a truck onto while not connected to a tractor. The hydraulics are self contained.

Rob

Is that a Boone Trailer made in Palmer, MA?

Step deck with hydraulic ramps is a nice combo.

JIm

I don't know for certain. There is no nameplate on it anyplace and I've not looked at the title in quite some time. I'll dig it out at the shop tomorrow.

Rob

I admire you folks that have not only the skill but the paatience necessary to complete these jobs the right way and live to tell about it. I'm pretty good with theory, but something gets lost on the way to my hands and patience is not one of my stronger suits.

Do you always turn new drums?

Some peoples idea of preventive maintenance is kicking the tires.

I've seen worse. Some of my coworkers have night vision and can pre-trip a trailer in the dark without a flashlight.

Jim

I admire you folks that have not only the skill but the paatience necessary to complete these jobs the right way and live to tell about it. I'm pretty good with theory, but something gets lost on the way to my hands and patience is not one of my stronger suits.

Do you always turn new drums?

I've seen worse. Some of my coworkers have night vision and can pre-trip a trailer in the dark without a flashlight.

The drums are not new. I think they are original to the trailer. They do not appear, and do measure close to new size. I don't think they have ever been turned before and the brake shoes appear original also. They are the old style full round ends. Nothing quick release about any of it......

Rob

Is that a Boone Trailer made in Palmer, MA?

Step deck with hydraulic ramps is a nice combo.

JIm

Ran back out to the shop and looked. It is titled as a 1981 Tag.

Rob

Little of what got done today:

1: Brakes and hardware removedpost-78-0-83726100-1337486544_thumb.jpg

2: Nicely rusted anchor pinspost-78-0-17146200-1337486549_thumb.jpg

3: Three different types of slack adjusterspost-78-0-16948600-1337486553_thumb.jpg

4: More nicely rusted anchor pinspost-78-0-55092200-1337486557_thumb.jpg

5: Hard working "S: cams, (not)post-78-0-62588600-1337486561_thumb.jpg

6: Other side "S" camspost-78-0-81834500-1337486565_thumb.jpg

7: Another shot of the "S" camspost-78-0-43540900-1337486570_thumb.jpg

8: Anchor pin bore rustpost-78-0-19634500-1337486574_thumb.jpg

9: Pile of brake drums. All studs and nuts will be new alsopost-78-0-39002200-1337486578_thumb.jpg

I got all the shoes in a box but forgot to snap a picture of them They tucked nice and neat so may not take them out until Monday when I drop them off.

When it is back together and the welding is finished it goes to the blaster. It will either be picked up with the bridge crane and tipped on the side, or completely over and upside down to be blasted clean. This guy has done several cars, trucks, and parts for me though the years and knows what I want done and how it's supposed to look. I'll then paint it with the airless paint sprayer.

Rob

When I'm filthy, I make sure and and wash my hands in the kitchen sink (and of course, dont clean them very well and leave a nice black streak on her dis towel!)! Aggravates the sh*t outta momma!

And now you know why my testicles reside in a glass jar on the fireplace mantle.

Rob

The drums are not new. I think they are original to the trailer. They do not appear, and do measure close to new size. I don't think they have ever been turned before and the brake shoes appear original also. They are the old style full round ends. Nothing quick release about any of it......

Rob

Got it. I mistook virgin for new rather than uncut.

Jim

Electric house painter type? Never thought of using that. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Electric house painter type? Never thought of using that. Paul

If a guy is using industrial water based coatings that would work. I have a Graco "air assisted" airless sprayer. It busts the paint up at 3000psi but only uses air to run the pump, not atomize the paint. They work great for industrial painting where an automotive type finish is not necessary. They are exceptionally good at covering corners and such inside of obstructions. They also have very little overspray.

On another note, I hooked up my tractor to the trailer, connected the hoses allowing the trailer reservoir to charge, then pulled the trolley valve a little bit to see if the chambers would stroke. Lo and behold, they all work very well without any leakage. The stroke is probably 2.25" and they retract very easily when the pressure is removed. I guess those brake cams were so tight they would not let the shoes back off from the drums easily when the brakes were released. I then jumped on the mower and promptly mowed down some of "Momma's" flowers in here flower garden. Guess I should prolly tell her about they eh?

Rob

I'm guessing the shipper was damn lucky he didn't have to go through a DOT inspection on the trip from NH to your place. Having the trailer red flagged somewhere along the line would have really sucked.

Re-doing the infrastructure on an oldy but goody like that is always money and time well spent. Looks real sharp with the old Dog in front of it.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I'm guessing the shipper was damn lucky he didn't have to go through a DOT inspection on the trip from NH to your place. Having the trailer red flagged somewhere along the line would have really sucked.

Re-doing the infrastructure on an oldy but goody like that is always money and time well spent. Looks real sharp with the old Dog in front of it.

I was really surprised, (and not good) when it showed up. The driver who "shagged" it to my place told me it is one of the best pulling trailers he has worked with but it doesn't have any brakes. It was winter, (end of February) so I thought something was just iced up. The brake system was frozen alright which is the subject of this thread. I'm glad to finally have a bit of time to work on it. Been sitting a year plus so it's time for a little accomplishment.

I talked to the sandblaster this morning and he is going to get it in as soon as it's back together and rolling. We'll tape and cardboard the brake drums openings shut to keep sand out, roll the trailer onto it back, the strip it bare. It will then come back to my place for the neck replacement.

Forgot to mention earlier I'm also planning to replace the very good condition 8.25RX15 tires with 235RX17.5 tubless tires and rims. Think I have an outlet for the old tires and rims to a couple implement dealers running trailers with this obsolete tire size. These are close to new and should offset the new tires cost a bit.

I'm going to be ambitious with this project as 42' of trailer off center in the shop still takes up a lot of room!

Rob