Multi fuel milatry engines

MACK MAN

I have been my doomsday preparation,food,water,lots of guns,and now we think we need a old milatry truck.We want a 6x6,don t want to spend alot of cash,been looking at some that have the multi fuel in them,whats the deal with them,any good?.They tell me you can burn diesel,gas,old oil? do you need to drain the tank each time?I can get one with the 250 Cummins,but I would have to lay out about $5,000 more than the mulit fuel.

Thanks AL

I have been my doomsday preparation,food,water,lots of guns,and now we think we need a old milatry truck.We want a 6x6,don t want to spend alot of cash,been looking at some that have the multi fuel in them,whats the deal with them,any good?.They tell me you can burn diesel,gas,old oil? do you need to drain the tank each time?I can get one with the 250 Cummins,but I would have to lay out about $5,000 more than the mulit fuel.

Thanks AL

The White/Hercules/Continental engines are getting tough to get parts for except from folks that deal in that kind of stuff. The multifuel engines will run diesel fuel just fine.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm have been working on changing out my multifuel and putting in a mack 673 . To me it's no comparison in reliability . bob tail they are not to bad but add a trailer with 5000 gallons of water and it gut less .

We buy military surplus trucks and I try and stay away from those old multifuel ones. Those things are gutless. Everyone also always thinks they are tough and stout, but the old famous deuce and a half is pretty light duty for a tandem. You have to get a five ton or larger to do much with them. Even those non turbo cummins wont do much if you are used to a modern truck, but at least you can get parts for them.

If I wanted something to get the family out of danger with the roads all blocked with cars full of smelly dead folks cooking in them, I would get a dozer or a four wheel drive farm tractor - I have to think about these things, the Callaway nuclear plant is just a couple miles away from me.

I did some work for a neighbor and he showed me the bunker he built back in the 70's when the nuclear plant was being built. It had some goofy pipes on the top with corkscrew bends he welded into the pipe - he said that radiation won't travel around corners............Right

We use a lot of ex mil 6x6 as forest fire trucks here, for parts reliability and availability they are all generally up dated to Cummins 5.9 or 8 liter diesels, New Process 6 speeds and transfer cases. A few are Allison autos. These units spend 90% off road loaded with 5 to 6 crew, 750 gallons of water and fire retardant, 2 pumps and misc other gear. The combo is reliable and generally bullet proof. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hello!

There is a lot of info on military multifuels on the internet, try tpub.com and PS Magazine online first. The thing is those engines are Diesels, and they can be run on Diesel, jet fuel or even fuel for ships, but not gasoline. I'm pretty sure they would also run on plant oil or even animal fat after procesing (this is getting nasty!). If you are preparing for doomsday, mabe you should also move to some part of the world where the weather is good and there's nothing interesting to nuke? Good luck, have a nice day

Paweł

Ifn they nuke anywhere round here, I hope the top of my head is "ground zero". I dont wanna have to see the aftermath of any of that or starve to death, or for that matter, attempt to eat my neighbor. She doesnt look like she bathes regular anyway. Just say no to nukes,,,,randyp

In the 5 years I ran my multifuel I used used motor oil mixed with gasoline and diesel or just mixing used motor oil and diesel It liked the oil in both mixes . plain diesel seamed to have been kind of dry .

Ifn they nuke anywhere round here, I hope the top of my head is "ground zero". I dont wanna have to see the aftermath of any of that or starve to death, or for that matter, attempt to eat my neighbor. She doesnt look like she bathes regular anyway. Just say no to nukes,,,,randyp

Meat is meat. What difference does it make what critter it came from? :tease:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

We use a lot of ex mil 6x6 as forest fire trucks here, for parts reliability and availability they are all generally up dated to Cummins 5.9 or 8 liter diesels, New Process 6 speeds and transfer cases. A few are Allison autos. These units spend 90% off road loaded with 5 to 6 crew, 750 gallons of water and fire retardant, 2 pumps and misc other gear. The combo is reliable and generally bullet proof. Paul

sounds like that would make an awesome truck with the updates you spoke of. I have seen some of the 4x4 clubs have been buying duece and a halfs and cutting the rear axle off and shortening the frame which leaves them with a hell for stout pickup.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Cutting one axle offa that six by isn't as easy as it sounds - the axles themselves are good for that, as the shaft "goes through" each of them and the rears are interchangeable from what it looks like. But the suspension is a tandem, so you have to build a whole new rear suspension (it's even visible on the photo above). So - sound's like lots of work! But good luck anyhow!

Paweł

Meat is meat. What difference does it make what critter it came from? :tease:

Well,,all these country folks out here where im is, kinda bony, prolly tough and stringy. If the shit hits the fan, hafta go into town and find me a nice plump tender bank executive, or lawyer, or,,,no,,forget lawyers, prolly catch food poisoning offn one them rascals,,,,randyp

The compression was low so they will burn gasoline also. There was/is a big plate that said no aviation gas (110 octane). I really liked the old screamers even if they aren't all that powerful. As far as an end of the world vehicle goes I think any relaible mechanically injected diesel will do. They will all burn oil so every drain pan you pass is a 5qt gas station.

• Like 1

...They will all burn oil so every drain pan you pass is a 5qt gas station.

...which will HOPEFULLY get you far enough to find another 5 qt. gas station. :blush:

I've seen people go into the gas station with $10. They buy a pack of cigarrettes and the rest goes in their tank. What they put in their tank wouldn't even get me home from the gas station.....just seems like a waste of time pumping a gallon or two at a time.

My fiance has a couple horses....so if the apocalypse happens, at least we'll have them to ride to wherever it is we need to go. :twothumbsup:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

...which will HOPEFULLY get you far enough to find another 5 qt. gas station. :blush:

I've seen people go into the gas station with $10. They buy a pack of cigarrettes and the rest goes in their tank. What they put in their tank wouldn't even get me home from the gas station.....just seems like a waste of time pumping a gallon or two at a time.

My fiance has a couple horses....so if the apocalypse happens, at least we'll have them to ride to wherever it is we need to go. :twothumbsup:

Yup. Soon after the apocalypse happens you butcher one horse, and still have transportation. Save the hoofs and you have the main ingredient for musalage glue to build your new house with. Nobody goes hungry as the horse is a grazer, and you will have meat and only need water to survive.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yup. Soon after the apocalypse happens you butcher one horse, and still have transportation. Save the hoofs and you have the main ingredient for musalage glue to build your new house with. Nobody goes hungry as the horse is a grazer, and you will have meat and only need water to survive.

Rob

Won't be butchering any horses for meat around here...plenty of idiots to do away with first. Like I said before, meat is meat and a horse has more use to me alive than an idiot does.

Won't be butchering any horses for meat around here...plenty of idiots to do away with first. Like I said before, meat is meat and a horse has more use to me alive than an idiot does.

Idiots boil into oil that can be used in lamps for light when there is no moon at night.

Rob

Y'all still got to make Texas first, right?

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

The Russians put only gasoline engines in their trucks for a long time - they figgered they could be serviced by people that can not read - you know, a gas engine will run if it gets electricity and fuel - cleaning a carburetor is easy compared to taking an injection pump apart (putting it together, actually!). Plus, a gas engine could be made to run on alcohol - that starts a wholly new subject in the apocalypse subject, doesn't it? Have a nice day

Paweł

Y'all still got to make Texas first, right?

The apocalypse will just have to wait until I get her up here....or until I get my old 8N running so I can use that to get down there. Breaker point ignition, sips gas at a reasonable rate....and I could use the bucket to flip cars over to puncture & drain the gas tanks easier.