Frame shortening questions...

tkobes43

howdy guys! Sorry this is not mack related, id just thought id post cause you guys know it all!!!

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2010 International 4400 exd cab for a great deal. The only problem is, is that it has a 318 wheel base. Im going to use this truck to haul goosenecks along with semi trailers. How much can i expect to spend to get the frame shortened?

Thanks a lot guys,

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Depending on what the chassis looks like, you could do it yourself pretty cheap. Couple jack stands(or stack of 4x4's), a torch, and a good drill. Move up the suspension and whack off the extra. Shorten driveshaft to fit.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

True true!! The only problem with that is, finding the time, along with the space of having a 318 inch wheel base truck in my driveway with the tools. lol Do you have a guestimate on what a company would charge? Rough guess is perfectly ok.

Tom

howdy guys! Sorry this is not mack related, id just thought id post cause you guys know it all!!!

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2010 International 4400 exd cab for a great deal. The only problem is, is that it has a 318 wheel base. Im going to use this truck to haul goosenecks along with semi trailers. How much can i expect to spend to get the frame shortened?

Thanks a lot guys,

Tom

Tom,

What kind of rear suspension, air ride, or spring Hendrickson, Rayco? If it's Hendrickson spring, sometimes you could get away with just unbolting the frame spring flanges and moving the rear one up to the front frame holes. Then all you have to do is line up the front spring flange an drill

Hell, I added 5ft to my truck without a snowball idear on what I was doing!! Seems to work fine. Shortening is usually always easier, especially if you can just slide things up. If you move it up a set of holes, you'll lose about 4ft ballpark. That gets you into the 260 range. Could be done in a weekend with a few friends helping. Mark your air lines with tape and just shorten and hook them back up.

Sorry, I don't have a clue on what a shop would charge. You'll have few hundred for driveshaft work, depending on how they can shorten it. I could see 3-4 days turnaround, couple thousand dollars? Depends on what they can reuse or have to buy. Depends on shop rate? $80-100?? per hour.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I had one done (on a lot older truck) a few years ago and the shop charged me $1000.00 plus parts like air line fittings, wireing, etc. I watched them do a lot of it and that gave me the confidence to do it myself from then on - there is nothing magical required. The owner of the welding shop told me the other day the worst thing he did was let me in his shop, I took one look around at the quality of employee and all of a sudden I did not need him anymore!

Do you have any pictures of your 4400? I bought a bunch of those four door versions from a mobile home moving company that did not weather 2008. They sold like hotcakes for gooseneck pullers. They were all different wheel bases, but I just had a truck bed manufacturer make me beds to fit. We mounted fifth wheels on the back of some and just gooseneck balls on others. The long wheel base ones just had a longer bed space in front of the ball - guys ended up likeing them better - you could haul items on the bed and still pull a trailer - as long as you can make the turns you need to with the longer frame. They just were more versatile, you could use them like a tractor or a straight truck.

Good luck with your purchase - post a picture (even of a IHC) if you can.

• Like 1

Yep i got a few pics actually! Thats what I'm looking to do, Shorten the wheel base but still leave enough where it looks like i stretched it after i shortened it. I hate when the trailers are so close to the cabs. Id like to do a pogo stick right in the middle of the frame with a nice deck plate.

Tom

Tom,i used to have a friend with a frame/suspension shop that has since closed in South Jersey,he did the frame on my dads peterbilt,all inclusive (with the exception of paint/bodywork) for right around 2 grand,course you have to remember this has been several years ago too! but i think that would be right in the ballpark,depending on how much labor,and cost of labor factored in.......................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Damn thats a lot of $$$. Do you think just a regular vehicle shop in town would be able to do it?

Take it to the professionals...either a good welding shop or truck shop. If you find a "regular shop" as in an auto-body shop or little garage that doesn't do it everyday, {that doesn't look at you like you are nuts when you ask}, you'll probably find some shmuck that doesn't know what the hell they are doing and just looking to make a buck on you. {I know I used to work in those shops}

These other fellas on here are real handy and real confident....but with Zero previous experience and a lack of proper space to do the job "concrete, not grass or soft blacktop", heavy jackstands, lift, forklift, torch, capable welder, someone with the proper experience to "hold your hand" through it AND most importantly KNOWLEDGE......I'd hate to see you hurt yourself.

Nothing is cheap these days.....but quality workmanship is worth it in this case....Its the chassis and foundation of the truck.

Dont hurt yourself. Good luck Tommy

I'd do it for two grand if you want to bring it down here. One eight hour day at $125 per hour should cover it at a good shop. Look around for someone that installs dump bodies. If you moved the axle the length of one of your driveshaft sections you wouldn't even need any driveshaft work. Or you could leave it as is and turn it in to a school bus.

Thats a good idea, Maybe just move it up one of the sections of the drive shaft. I have to ask for a perfect side shot so i can see where the axle is now and where it would be moved up one section. Great idea. Thanks!!!

Mack pics coming in a few minutes

I'd do it for two grand if you want to bring it down here. One eight hour day at $125 per hour should cover it at a good shop. Look around for someone that installs dump bodies. If you moved the axle the length of one of your driveshaft sections you wouldn't even need any driveshaft work. Or you could leave it as is and turn it in to a school bus.

One eight hour day at $125, would be about a grand. I would do a grand if anyone is willing to do it for me and who has experience. Who lives close so New Jersey??? LOL

Tom