The Celli truck doesn't look bad from the side, maybe dressing up the hood with the standard B model chrome would help. I think the front would've looked better if they had tried to better duplicate the wells for the headlights.

I've seen pictures the Clariben hoods with the dual headlights on older Macks and those just don't look right.

Jim

The Celli truck doesn't look bad from the side, maybe dressing up the hood with the standard B model chrome would help. I think the front would've looked better if they had tried to better duplicate the wells for the headlights.

I've seen pictures the Clariben hoods with the dual headlights on older Macks and those just don't look right.

I hear ya,Jim.I always thought about that too.Probably would look better with the trim on it.I think Celli's thought at the time was to make them look a little more modern,so they used the scipts and front letters from the R model.Yes,the headlight areas are kind of funky looking,I agree.There was a guy around here that built a few glass hoods,that really copied the original lines of the B butterfly.They looked pretty good.He was going to Clariben a run for their money.Don't know what ever happened to him.I know where at least one hood is.I'll see if I can post some pics later.There were 2 B's at the '87 ATHS Convention in Schaumburg,Il (Chicago suburb) using this hood.Both trucks are still in the area.One belongs to a friend of mine.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

One of those with the glass B style nose wouldn't be medium Blue would it? I recall seeing one at the Winchester Va show I think. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

There was a guy around here that built a few glass hoods,that really copied the original lines of the B butterfly.They looked pretty good.He was going to Clariben a run for their money.Don't know what ever happened to him.

I have my suspicions. You didn't mess with them Clariben boys back in the day.

Jim

2 years before Celli moved I went over to their yard and talked with a guy. think his name was Jim or frank? Al... I know you know the guy im talkig about as you know him... He let me go through their used parts trailers and they had about 6 of those Clariben hoods all used and just sitting there waiting to be thrown away. I did not care for them so I passed. They also had the old 5 hand hole budds that I picked up and some NOS doors. It was a great find for old B model parts. I was going to grab the "northwest Mack" lettering off the building after they started to knock it down But I was a week to late. I think someone had already grabbed them???

Trent

One of those with the glass B style nose wouldn't be medium Blue would it? I recall seeing one at the Winchester Va show I think. Paul

Not that I know of,Paul.One of the 2 trucks has probably never been out of Illinois.The other one has but only 2 or 3 states away! 1 is met.brown,the other is green. Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

2 years before Celli moved I went over to their yard and talked with a guy. think his name was Jim or frank? Al... I know you know the guy im talkig about as you know him... He let me go through their used parts trailers and they had about 6 of those Clariben hoods all used and just sitting there waiting to be thrown away. I did not care for them so I passed. They also had the old 5 hand hole budds that I picked up and some NOS doors. It was a great find for old B model parts. I was going to grab the "northwest Mack" lettering off the building after they started to knock it down But I was a week to late. I think someone had already grabbed them???

Trent

You probably talked to Jim (service mgr.).He let me and Tom B. look through a container full of stuff.That day cab F-model N.O.S. shell was in there along with some of the hoods.Nothing real nice,but it was worth a look.Tom made an offer on the wrecker and Jim laughed at him.He sold me an air ride cut off for a decent price,I thought.Yeah, I bet those letters went pretty fast,Trent! :clock_logo:

Jim sounds right if I recall...The F model cab was sittin up on a container or something for years. you could see it from the street... Yea there was not alot of gold in the containers but there was alot of little things that were of good use... Speaking of old Chicago trucking companys...I wonder if Greco stil has those old R models on jack stands?I was there 6-7 years ago when they had the RS700Ls for sale. they had some other cool stuff that was lightly used think they had a V8 C model as well?

• Like 1

All this talk about Clariben hoods reminded me of some trucks I saw in 1999 behind a tank wash facility in Lafayette, IN. At the time, I didn't know quite what I was looking at, but knew enough that 13 years later you guys would want to see pictures. Only later did I learn about the Clariben hood and relate it to this truck in my photo:

post-2694-0-71279200-1330308533_thumb.jp post-2694-0-09730400-1330308584_thumb.jp

I have only ever seen reference to the Clariben being fitted to B models, but I believe this to be an LJ, looking at the cab and setback axle. Sort of reminds me of a KW; more attractive than the Clariben B's, in my opinion.

post-2694-0-71418200-1330308770_thumb.jp

Bonus C-609ST parked alongside.

post-2694-0-69503700-1330308886_thumb.jp

I know it is not a Mack, but this clean A-C 45 was at the same location.

None of the employees there had any info on the trucks, and I have never been back there to see if these trucks are still around.

Gregg

• Like 1

All this talk about Clariben hoods reminded me of some trucks I saw in 1999 behind a tank wash facility in Lafayette, IN. At the time, I didn't know quite what I was looking at, but knew enough that 13 years later you guys would want to see pictures. Only later did I learn about the Clariben hood and relate it to this truck in my photo:

post-2694-0-71279200-1330308533_thumb.jp post-2694-0-09730400-1330308584_thumb.jp

I have only ever seen reference to the Clariben being fitted to B models, but I believe this to be an LJ, looking at the cab and setback axle. Sort of reminds me of a KW; more attractive than the Clariben B's, in my opinion.

None of the employees there had any info on the trucks, and I have never been back there to see if these trucks are still around.

Gregg

I was just through Lafayette, IN yesterday morning. Wish this would have been posted before then as I had some time to stop.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Gregg

Nice pictures Gregg :twothumbsup: The Clariben hood brochure I have has many makes and models listed.Those big chrome grilles do look like a W900! That was an option,made by Clariben.I think the brochure said it was like $265.00 upgrade if you wanted it!Thanks for snapping the pictures and posting them. Al

Jim sounds right if I recall...The F model cab was sittin up on a container or something for years. you could see it from the street... Yea there was not alot of gold in the containers but there was alot of little things that were of good use... Speaking of old Chicago trucking companys...I wonder if Greco stil has those old R models on jack stands?I was there 6-7 years ago when they had the RS700Ls for sale. they had some other cool stuff that was lightly used think they had a V8 C model as well?

Those day cab F model shells were there,when I was 10,Trent! :bulldog3: They had gotten a deal on them and were converting old rusted out F sleeper cabs to day cabs.There was one particular unit that pulled a fuel tanker from the city out to Wauconda.Had the day cab on it,but the stack and breather tube were 30" inches behind the cab yet.Looked a little hokey! Tom just went back down to Greco's a couple of weeks ago.Everything is pretty much right where it was last time we were there! C-615 & all.

I can't say as I would be able to even find the place again, being so long ago, but I seem to recall it being on the main drag U.S. 52 / 231.

Gregg

I was on 231. Went all the way to Lafayetter and picked up 26.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I was just through Lafayette, IN yesterday morning. Wish this would have been posted before then as I had some time to stop.

Rob

Rob when i learned they were there i used to go by there quite a bit, but they are all gone now dont know what happend to them. i dout they got junk out, one of the guys in the wash said the guy that owned the tank wash was into old Macks. they have been gone about 3 years. Ron

I remember Celli when I was a kid back in Wheeling Illinois. They had 10 wheel dumps both B-42 gasers and B-61's. They had numerous B-61 tractor dumps. I moved out of Illinois before they bought the R models but would see them when I went back to Ill for a visit. One day after moving to Ct I saw a CTC cement trailer pulled by a dark green peterbilt. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a Mack. Is Gene in the picture a Celli. Did he own CTC. Amazing that a 90 year old shows up to work every day. Looks like the picture on the wall is a CH. Did Celli have CH's before being sold? I went to the Markedy web sight and I still saw green and grey visions or pinnacles with cement trailers. I always thought the green and grey with red pin striping was a good color combo. :bulldog3:

• Like 1

I remember Celli when I was a kid back in Wheeling Illinois. They had 10 wheel dumps both B-42 gasers and B-61's. They had numerous B-61 tractor dumps. I moved out of Illinois before they bought the R models but would see them when I went back to Ill for a visit. One day after moving to Ct I saw a CTC cement trailer pulled by a dark green peterbilt. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a Mack. Is Gene in the picture a Celli. Did he own CTC. Amazing that a 90 year old shows up to work every day. Looks like the picture on the wall is a CH. Did Celli have CH's before being sold? I went to the Markedy web sight and I still saw green and grey visions or pinnacles with cement trailers. I always thought the green and grey with red pin striping was a good color combo. :bulldog3:

Hey Jim,yeah I remember the 10 wheelers (or in Ill. we refer to them as 6 wheelers,it's a Chicago thing!).The B-42's had hyd brakes on them(not good in stop and go traffic).Yeah once and a while Mr. Eugene "Gene" Celli would by a brand X tractor, I think to prove a point to that manufacturer! Yes,that is Eugene in the picture, he owned Celli Trucking Co..Now the CTC emblem stands for Celli Truck Center.They are located on Mannheim Rd,just north of North Ave. in Melrose Park,now.Eminent Domain forced them from their near 50 year home in Schiller Park,Ill.(by O'Hare Int'l Airport).Gene told me he(and his father,Carlo) started using that color combo after WWII.A company that had gone out of business had the same colors and he liked them.he figured it they weren't using them ,he would! Yes he had several CH's.That one on the wall was an owner/operator,Sam Romano's truck.He had several o/o's leased on in the dump div.Most had Macks.Why wouldn't you?He had a staff of mechanics well versed in the Bulldog.An o/o could park his truck at Celli's yard at night,write up what was wrong with it.When he showed up in the a.m.,his truck would be ready for another days work!Most of Celli's CH were of the axle set forward type.

Hey Jim,yeah I remember the 10 wheelers (or in Ill. we refer to them as 6 wheelers,it's a Chicago thing!).The B-42's had hyd brakes on them(not good in stop and go traffic).Yeah once and a while Mr. Eugene "Gene" Celli would by a brand X tractor, I think to prove a point to that manufacturer! Yes,that is Eugene in the picture, he owned Celli Trucking Co..Now the CTC emblem stands for Celli Truck Center.They are located on Mannheim Rd,just north of North Ave. in Melrose Park,now.Eminent Domain forced them from their near 50 year home in Schiller Park,Ill.(by O'Hare Int'l Airport).Gene told me he(and his father,Carlo) started using that color combo after WWII.A company that had gone out of business had the same colors and he liked them.he figured it they weren't using them ,he would! Yes he had several CH's.That one on the wall was an owner/operator,Sam Romano's truck.He had several o/o's leased on in the dump div.Most had Macks.Why wouldn't you?He had a staff of mechanics well versed in the Bulldog.An o/o could park his truck at Celli's yard at night,write up what was wrong with it.When he showed up in the a.m.,his truck would be ready for another days work!Most of Celli's CH were of the axle set forward type.

I remember the Ohare expansion deal forcing several businesses to move out of the area. Most were pretty heavily compensated for the ground too. I also remember a large trucking outfit being in that mix, but didn't know the name. Certainly a small world we live in sometimes.

Who would have thought a private airstrip named "Apple Orchard Field", located out in the "sticks", would grow into something today referred to as "Chicago Ohare International Airport".

Rob

• Like 1

I remember the Ohare expansion deal forcing several businesses to move out of the area. Most were pretty heavily compensated for the ground too. I also remember a large trucking outfit being in that mix, but didn't know the name. Certainly a small world we live in sometimes.

Who would have thought a private airstrip named "Apple Orchard Field", located out in the "sticks", would grow into something today referred to as "Chicago Ohare International Airport".

Rob

My wife's grandfather used to fly out of there when it was named that. He started out working doing PR for barnstormer pilot Tex Rankin and eventually retired as head of marketing/publicity for United Airlines. I am told that he always still called O'hare "Orchard field", and he called Midway airport "Munie airport" for some reason. He died of too much scotch and too many cigarettes in the late fifties. I wish we could have known him.

My wife's grandfather used to fly out of there when it was named that. He started out working doing PR for barnstormer pilot Tex Rankin and eventually retired as head of marketing/publicity for United Airlines. I am told that he always still called O'hare "Orchard field", and he called Midway airport "Munie airport" for some reason. He died of too much scotch and too many cigarettes in the late fifties. I wish we could have known him.

To this day Ohare's callout name is "ORD".

I hate working on that field but it's a great bunch of guys to be around.

Rob

To this day Ohare's callout name is "ORD".

I hate working on that field but it's a great bunch of guys to be around.

Midway was a "municiple" airport for years until commisioned to relieve congestion into Ohare. Probably where the name "Munie" came from. I've never seen that in print anyplace.

Rob

This is way too much information - but I thought it was interesting - My wife's grandfather (Richard Rummel) was a poor boy from Lagrange high school on the south side of Chicago, but his marriage brought in some unexpected fundage:

"Mrs. Rummel Due For $125,000--Mrs. Richard Rummel of Chicago, wife of the publicity director for United Air Lines, was revealed in news dispatches Friday to be the only known living heir of the $125,000 estate left by Harry William Bewley, 54, Portland ex-policeman, whose body, with that of his wife was found Thursday in their apartment at 914 N.W. 20th Avenue.

Bewley and Mrs. Rummel were heirs in the will of Roswell Lamson Bewley, McMinnville banker who died four years ago. The banker was Harry Bewley's father and Mrs. Rummel's grandfather. Under the will, Mrs. Rummel received $500 and Bewley the remainder of the estate.

Richard Rummel formerly was a reporter for the Oregon Journal in Portland." [Oregonian Feb 24, 1945]

"Man, Wife Died In Apartment House Shooting--A 54-yer-old Oregon shipyard guard and his wife were found dead in their apartment at 914 NW 20th avenue shortly after 11 a.m. today, both with bullets through their heads.

City detectives were called to their second floor flat by Mrs Mabel Reyburn, apartment manager, who said she knocked at their door this morning because she had heard nothing of the couple since early Wednesday evening.

When she opened the door, she found Harry William Bewley wearing a dark overcoat, slumped half way on a chair and half way on the floor. A .32 special revolver was lying under him. His wife, Rose, wearing overcoat, gloves and a hat, was lying on the davenport. A scenic picture, torn from the wall, lay smashed on the floor.

Detectives learned that no one had heard shots and time of death could not immediately be determined by the coroner `because the heat from the furnace would keep the bodies warmer than normal'. Two bullets were gone from the gun, detectives said.

Inspector Leon V. Jenkins said that Bewley was formerly of McMinnville and a bank book on that city's bank found on his person bore out his statement. It showed a deposit of $1000 on February 17, and a previous deposit of $500.

Many empty beer and whiskey bottles were found in the kitchenette.

Police said evidence indicated that Bewley had shot Mrs. Bewley, who was reported to be his second wife, and then turned the gun on himself. They are continuing their investigation.

Autopsies will be performed, the cornoner said.

Although police personnel files were not available since the chief clerk's office was closed for Washington's birthday, it is believed that Bewley was with the force from 1911 to 1913, having left in 1914, reportedly with a good record. At the time he joined the force he was 21. Following his service with the city police he was employed as a car salesman and since the war had been employed at Oregon ship. While in the police force he was a member of the police band." [Oregon Journal, Feb 22, 1945 p.1]

"Police Ponder New Phone Tips In Two Deaths--Dectectives are investigating possible further developments in the apparent murder-suicide of ex-policeman Harry W. Bewley, 54, and his third wife, Rose Evelyn Bewley, found dead in their apartment Thursday, after receiving persistent calls Friday from a man identifying himself as Fay L. Allen, 57, of 627 SW 15th avenue, who insisted that he had information about the deaths of the two.

Following calls received from Allen by Detective Captain Keegan, the coroner and city detectives, the latter finally arranged for him to consult the district attorney at 3 p.m. and Detectives McMeeken and Nelson were on their way to pick him up, when they received a riot call from apartment No. 6 at 627 SW 15th avenue, and discovered that Allen loudly claiming that he `loved Rose', and that both the Bewleys had been murdered.

Allen, who was drunk, also declared that someone had tried to murder them before at McMinnville by giving them poisoned liquor and that Rose had been in the hospital there as a result of the incident.

Allan's landlady told detectives that a woman answering Rose Bewley's description had been visiting him at his apartment for the past two months and that Allan had lived in the apartment for about two months. Detectives lodged him on a drunkeness charge until he would be able to speak coherently."

Rob

Rob, this is just in the past 3-4 years or so! He had not been forced out due to O'Hare expansion,but more by politicians wanting established large property/low tax rate businesses "out of there" so that higher tax paying hotels,etc. could be built.He was not heavily compensated for his land.What he recieved for it most likely went to the lawyers.He just wanted to stay there.When they told him of their plan of revelopment,he said "fine,I'll redevelop the property to your specifications".They said,"No we already have a developer in mind". :icon_bs: To this day nothing bigger than a self-serve gas station sits on the property that once housed one of the biggest contruction material hauling fleets,Chicago will ever have had, at it's service! DAMN SHAME!!!!