Mack A-54 Help

its got a double reduction rear end in it.Ratio should be on a tag on right hand side.Did you find engine serial number as to whether its a 431 or 510

Where would I look for the engine serial number? And what is the configuration of the numbers? Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update on the truck. I have made some progress. I am waiting for my father-in-law to help me with getting the engine started. So, I decided to get to work on the inside of the cab. I pulled out what was left of the old seats and cleaned up what the rats had left behind.

I pulled the sheet metal that covers the fuel tank off to see what it is going to take to remove the tank. I disconnected the fuel line. The center bracket does not look easy to remove. The three bolts on the front have nuts on the back that seem almost impossible to get to. Also, the tank straps appear to be set over the frame. Any ideas on how to get the tank out?

Since I was kind of at a stand-still with the tank, I decided to clean the floor board and remove the floor plate. There is going to be a little bit of patch work to do. That is as far as I have gotten today. I went ahead and included a few extra pictures of the cab. The rockers are going to need to be replaced, as well as a hole in the driver's side floor board.

post-10741-0-96248000-1349663814_thumb.j

post-10741-0-41137900-1349663905_thumb.j

post-10741-0-57300300-1349664361_thumb.j

post-10741-0-32693600-1349664374_thumb.j

post-10741-0-76283500-1349664386_thumb.j

post-10741-0-27451100-1349664398_thumb.j

post-10741-0-24679800-1349664406_thumb.j

If you cannot get to the nuts check to make sure they are not "speed" nuts that are welded to the frame. If they are not my first move would be to use an impact gun to tightern the bolts in an effort to break them off. My experience is it is easier to break them off than it is to try to get them out if they are rusty or hard to get to. Tightening as opposed to loosening works far quicker to just break them off.

You can buy speed nuts or weld nuts to the frame to replace the nuts if you cannot reach them to hold them when the tank is replaced.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks "fxfymn". The nuts are not welded because they turn freely when the bolt is turned. I can get one finger back there to determine this. I will look a little closer when I have more time.

Quick update: I pulled the 12V generator off yesterday to clean it up a little. It had several dirt dobber nests inside. I just took the cap off so that I could get the larger chunks of dirt out. I blew the inside out with an air hose, polished the commutator with some 220 grit sandpaper and greased the commutator bearing. I did not want to get into tearing the whole thing apart. The bearings appeared to be in good shape and the brushes looked ok. So, I will run with it at this point. I pulled the generator bracket off so that I could clean it up as well. My father-in-law will be in town in a few days. I am hoping to get the engine started then!!

Here are some before and after pics of the generator and bracket. Quick question. I noticed that there are four bolts in the block that appear to have held something on at one time. Can anyone tell me what is supposed to go here?

post-10741-0-28476800-1349902611_thumb.j

post-10741-0-93241200-1349902619_thumb.j

post-10741-0-27775000-1349902625_thumb.j

post-10741-0-47440700-1349902631_thumb.j

post-10741-0-27936100-1349902640_thumb.j

post-10741-0-39576300-1349902645_thumb.j

A couple of days with a pressure washer and some degreasing fluid would be time well spent before you get into the engine. Having it clean makes it so much easier to get things done.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

uh! Ratrodded ? wtf? id kill for a dunnin A model and your gonna make it a ratrod??? I tried buyin the Red A54 Superdog has in a basket case many times, guy wouldn't sell it then took it apart and did. somehow Mike ended up with it. btw Mike, I found a picture of your truck the other day when it was ALL together

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

uh! Ratrodded ? wtf? id kill for a dunnin A model and your gonna make it a ratrod??? I tried buyin the Red A54 Superdog has in a basket case many times, guy wouldn't sell it then took it apart and did. somehow Mike ended up with it. btw Mike, I found a picture of your truck the other day when it was ALL together

email me or post it sometime

I always thought an A model with no hood and super singles on the back might look kind of like a huge roadster. lol

Ha ha! Driving an old A-model yard dog just out of high school,I thought the same thing,John! Just like a '32 Ford coupe or something,right?

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

There seems to be a lot of interest in the A-Models lately. For the longest time no one seemed interested in them like the N-Model. Maybe because neither was a high or long in production truck. I am happy to see interest in the A-Models as I have a A-51T with a stuck END 510 Diesel.Parts for that engine are hard to come by in my experience looking for them.I kind of wish it was a A-55 with the Cummins Diesel then it would be easy to find a 220-250. Joe D.

firemanjohn I have thought about the 6Bt but I do have a C-180 Cummins to put in there if I ever get off my lazy A$$.The C-180 is about the same size as the 510 Diesel.My A-51 has a bit of history as it was delivered new to the Autocar Factory in Penna.according to the information I received from the Mack Museum. Autocar wanted to make a similar truck I was told from the man who bought it from Autocar.Through the years the saying about A-Models was too light for heavy work and too heavy for light work.If you watched the Trucktoberfest Video the red A-Model has a 673 Mack and Tri-plex Trans tandem rears. It is very nice. Joe D.

I know its been done for a # of years as every show I go and its at I torture the owner with questions and picture taking. He is a nice guy and an Engineer but did most if not all the work himself.There was another A-51 with the 510 Diesel at Macungie a few years ago. It was the first 510 Diesel I ever heard. I think Mike Yarnall has one being rebuilt or is rebuilt already it will be nice to see and hear. Joe D.

I had an A-51T with the 510 and a duplex in it.Never took the time to see if it would run.Sold it at an auction.It was rough.But with enough $$$$ thrown at it,it would have been a cool truck.It sits in a barn in Iowa now.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA