Old Payloaders

Mike Blais

I was loaded by this old machine yesterday. It had a 6v detroit in it, more noise than power!

I havent seen a GM Terex loader being used in nearly 20 years. The local gravel/concrete plant used one for decades which I believe they bought new back around 1976. They ran International trucks with Detroit diesel power exlusively for many years. They now use Caterpillar loaders and I think they mostly run Cummins diesels in their trucks.

Stone industries in Jersey here will sometimes load you with the 988. He is usually feeding the asphalt drum plant. They have a newer one with the joystick controls and long loader arms on her.

This is the oldest one and it maybe getting replaced soon. I never ran one with joy sticks.

When I was a kid we had our 950 out a job and there was a 988. the 988 operator tried loading trucks like we did and ripped the side of the body off. Really do not know how or why but it buckled the hell out of it. I know we could out load a 966 bucket for bucket. that little 950 was a great loader.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You don't realize how big a 980 is until it is out of it's element. Blizzard of 96 I was working at IBM in Sterling Forest NY at night hauling snow and they brought in a 980 from Stone Industries from Ringwood NJ. That machine in those parking lots was gigantic but boy it would push snow. At night it would look like a spaceship in the trees. Kind of creepy working up there in the middle of the woods.

Cheers, Rob

Makes me a little nervous when they load you with the 988. The truck is like a matchbox car next to it. :)

Sometimes they would use a 988 to unload pulpwood at the paper mill in Covington instead of the FWD's. The operator couldn't see the forks so you had to guide him, and the one everybody called "cowboy" had been known to punch the forks right through the frame rails on a log trailer.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Sometimes they would use a 988 to unload pulpwood at the paper mill in Covington instead of the FWD's. The operator couldn't see the forks so you had to guide him, and the one everybody called "cowboy" had been known to punch the forks right through the frame rails on a log trailer.

It doesn't take much to do a lot of damage.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...