Old Payloaders

Mike Blais

I always like holding onto a "OH SHIT" wheel, especially the soft rubber kind you can squeeze like a tube of toothpaste when you get close to running over the bosses new truck, but I like skidder type steering when sitting sideways in the seat.

if you think the 992 is big look at a 994 or the bigest loader made a leturno (however you spell it) i would love to run one of those big ones but the 992 is the bigest ive ever run.

LeTourneau also makes/made huge machines for grabbing 2-3 log truck loads of wood at a time. They have 2 of them at Plum Creek mill in Columbia Falls. I am going to guess on size (they were waaaaay bigger than the 980H they have there) so here it goes, 50ft long, cab heigth of around 17 ft and probably 16 ft wide. They were diesel powered electrical system like that snow trained shown earlier in this post.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

photo_image.jpg

5592 & 5594 Log Stacker

Two & Four Wheel Drive

110,000 pounds (49,896 kgs) Operating Lift Capacity

24-foot (7.3152 m) Lift Height

(Highest of any comparable machines)acrobat_logo.jpgClick here for 55 Series brochure

chart.jpg

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

Your right Joe, Letourneau still makes the biggest payloader in the world.

• Overview
  • Specifications
  • Benefits
  • Configuration
  • Photos / Videos

loader_image.jpg

The largest rubber tired front-end wheel loader in the world, LeTourneau's 2300 hp (1715 kW) L-2350 offers a standard operating capacity of 160000 lb (72574 kg) and a standard 53 yd³ (40.52 m³) bucket. Its large loading height assures center-loading of haul trucks with payload ratings of 320 - 400+ ton (290-363+ tonne).acrobat_logo.jpgClick here for L-2350 brochure Engine 2300 hp (1715 kW) Payload Standard 160000 lb (72574 kg) High Lift 150000 lb (68039 kg) Bucket Capacity sized to material density Truck Match 320 - 400+ ton (290 - 363+ tonne)

photo_image.jpg

5592 & 5594 Log Stacker

Two & Four Wheel Drive

110,000 pounds (49,896 kgs) Operating Lift Capacity

24-foot (7.3152 m) Lift Height

(Highest of any comparable machines)acrobat_logo.jpgClick here for 55 Series brochure

chart.jpg

That log loader at the landing knew what he was doing - a fart on a windy day would not make it between those logs - that is how you rack up the board feet on a load!

WOw that 980K is nice , I bet that smile lasts along time. I haul out of the Poland pit once in a while , is Waterford open to the public for materials?

Yes the pit is open to the public. Exit one off of Rt. 93. If your heading North bound go left off the exit. 2.5 miles to Duck Pond Road and take a right. Go 3 miles to the pit.

Yes the pit is open to the public. Exit one off of Rt. 93. If your heading North bound go left off the exit. 2.5 miles to Duck Pond Road and take a right. Go 3 miles to the pit.

WOA WOA , I thought you meant the "Waterford Maine" Pike plant when i asked if they are open to public. haha.

• 4 weeks later...

i never could figure out why john deere never made a bigger loader than a 844 if they would of made a bigger one they could give cat a run for their money in the mining industry. if you put a 844 up aginst a 966 cat the deere will move more material in a shifts time.

i never could figure out why john deere never made a bigger loader than a 844 if they would of made a bigger one they could give cat a run for their money in the mining industry. if you put a 844 up aginst a 966 cat the deere will move more material in a shifts time.

I've always liked JD over Cat and I didn't realize that the biggest was an 844, speaking of which.post-426-0-76316800-1334791952_thumb.jpg

Another new one.

• 10 months later...

Progress. Engine and torque converter back in. Radiator recored. Rear planetaries, brakes, and steering rebuilt. The place does good work, but they are slow. I was hoping to get some paint on it, but it is way over budget now. Hopefully when I get it back home I can do it a little at a time myself.

post-2179-46867_thumb.jpg

Mike;

The paving and gravel outfit I worked for had a couple of those smaller ones with 4 cylinder Deetroits in 'em. Neither one of THEM had brakes either (Must be a chronic problem with 'em,like the old deuce and a half military trucks). Ours had "power steering",but it wasn't working most of the time,and it was all I could do to get it turned around without running over anything. It worked great as a bead breaker on the big truck tires;I'd hover the edge of the bucket about 3 feet above the wheel,jump down off the loader and keep adjusting the wheel location to line up when the hydraulics finally bled off enough for the bucket to break the bead loose. Wouldn't have worked that way if the hydraulics didn't leak like a sieve.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Yes no brakes seems to be common on these. I live on a hill so I have to have them. They had the rear axles all torn apart so they put in new cylinders and lines. Got a new master cylinder, had to get it from Mexico. $$$$. The front brakes we are are going to flush out the old fluid and hook them back up. The parking brake works on the front wheels and it's disconnected. That will wait for another time. None of the work would have been possible if I didn't have the original manuals.

Just like Mack, Michigan is owned by Volvo and the Michigan name is no longer used on equipment (as far as I know). My dad owned a Michigan 125A with a 3-71 Detroit for many years and the machine had the same tire size as many road graders (13.00 x 24.00 if I recall), and it didnt have working brakes. That 3-71 was the strangest sounding engine I have ever heard. Whenever he would drive it any distance, he would drive it backward as it was easier to handle being it was rear steer.

I have a 1953 Minneapolis-Moline RTI (R industrial tractor) with a Lull loader which had evidently belonged to a municipality at one time as it is painted orange. I intend to repaint it but cant decide on the MM yellow & red or the Omaha Orange.

According to the parts manual my loader is supposed to have 13.00 x 24 tires. It has 14.00 x 24 on it. I'm trying to find a couple of used ones. So far all I am finding are 14.9 x 24. I assume these are too wide. For paint, Michigan yellow is no longer available by the gallon. I found a company that custom mixes paint and puts it in spray cans. I had them send me a can of Mich yellow and tested it against Cat and JD yellow. It's almost the same as the JD, Cat was more like mustard.

This thread makes me remember all the loaders that have loaded my truck over the years, then those I have run, long list. No Letourneu loaders, no payloaders, mostly Cat, Komatsu, Deere, we got a new Deere 624J back in 2006 that was a pretty nice machine for its size, the only issue I had with it was that the front pins all got loose quick, a Cat 938 was about the same size and never had an issue. I think the oldest I have been on was an old Cat 966 I dont even think it had a series designation, open cab and loud as hell, then there were a few 966 B,C,F's 980 C,F,G's 988 B,F Deere 624,644, Komatsu WA150,200,300. I think I have been on more loaders than anything and not gotten much time on any of em comparatively. I have run several Excavators I think I have spent the most time on a Cat 330C with a long stick and a 60" bucket loading trucks, and dozers Id say most time was on a 700 Deere. I still want to get on some really big loaders one of these days, we'll see how that works out now that Im out of the construction stuff and workin on the Railroad, always wanted to run a Cat 992.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"