359 Peterbilt Frame Rails:

Rob

I have a job coming into the shop and the truck needs re railed. Anybody have a set of rails at least 14' in length from front to back? They can be bare, or have crossmembers either way.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You old fart!! This is for MACK :clock_logo: trucks.

Try the penisbilt forum

This is a collision job and the money is green. I fix them all but only own the best.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Go to the grocery story and get a couple boxes of popsicles.It's a little known fact that popsicle sticks have the same tensile strength as Peterbilt frame rails.

I like Popsicles! That will be a great fix, cheap too! Why didn't I think of it?? Must be losing my mind.

The crudest form of recycling I can think of.

Rob

Rob, I have a 1994 Pete 379 extended hood I'm parting out. This had a63" sleeper, not sure of wheelbase,will measure tomorrow.It has a single frame, no damage or accident. It has Air track suspension. I just reframed a 2010 388 Pete with blanks from Paccar, believe me these are total blanks, not a hole or anything. All the Macks I've done had the rails drilled for the ftont spring hangers and cab mounts, not these Peterbilt rails.thanks,Steve

Rob, I have a 1994 Pete 379 extended hood I'm parting out. This had a63" sleeper, not sure of wheelbase,will measure tomorrow.It has a single frame, no damage or accident. It has Air track suspension. I just reframed a 2010 388 Pete with blanks from Paccar, believe me these are total blanks, not a hole or anything. All the Macks I've done had the rails drilled for the ftont spring hangers and cab mounts, not these Peterbilt rails.thanks,Steve

These are 10" rails and are only 3/16ths thick. Very light in my opinion but the truck is clean for the year, (mid 1980's). Was ran into by a car when bobtailing and bent up pretty good. I do not need any rear suspension as he has another to be incorporated.

Thanks

Rob

Rob,I'll check and compare these rails with a 359 tomorrow. One of our o/o's has a 1984 359 with a steel frame. I'll compare this to my 379 rails and see if they are close. I'll let you know,Steve

Thanks a bunch.

Rob

Rob ,I checked out the frame rails this afternoon. The 359 has 1/4" rails 10 3/8" high. My 379 has 5/16" by 10 1/2" rails.The 379 rails are about 25 feet from front to back, about a 240" wheelbase. The 359 has a steering box mounted to the rear of front spring, 379 is at front of frame. Looks like nothing would really match in the front as far as that goes. Probably better off finding 359 rails, lots less work. Thanks,Steve

Rob ,I checked out the frame rails this afternoon. The 359 has 1/4" rails 10 3/8" high. My 379 has 5/16" by 10 1/2" rails.The 379 rails are about 25 feet from front to back, about a 240" wheelbase. The 359 has a steering box mounted to the rear of front spring, 379 is at front of frame. Looks like nothing would really match in the front as far as that goes. Probably better off finding 359 rails, lots less work. Thanks,Steve

Thanks for taking the time Steve, really appreciate it. I talked to the owner and he says to go with new rails from PG Adams if yours didn't work out. He says may "make it a little longer" but no idea what he is thinking. The truck is a day cab and had a small sleeper at one time. I don't know too much about these things.......

Rob

Hell stretch him out to 300" Wb. chop the top, lower the suspension. There you go. I think he would keel over. Idk if he is around 240" or so probably set up around 260 to 270" That will help the ride out but he'll hate turning

It is right at 210 right now. It had a small bunk at one time but has been a day cab for years. I'm thinking it's been in the family since new.

Rob

Rob, who is PG Adams? Is that the place in Vermont that makes frame rails? Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve, yes, that is them. I had them make a set of rails for a Mack one time and they were excellent in quality. They could not bend the outward "splay" into them, so I grafted the rear section to the existing front. Never seen the truck again so don't know how it held up long term.

Rob

Rob, You can probably buy this truck for less than new rails...........

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item27c247916d

Would rails run up near $2000.00 now? It's been about eight years since I've railed a truck and steel prices weren't where the are now so I don't know.

Rob

Give PG Adams a call. They can give you a rough estimate over the phone. And also the shipping.

I talked to him about an hour ago suggesting as Randy said, "240" and the reply was "If you like it, I will". So I'll get a quote tomorrow morning and send it along.

Rob

Rob,I have the invoice in front of me from Hunter Pete. These rails for the 388 I just did were 3243.77 each for a total of 6487.54. These are 5/16 or metric equiv..Quite pricey for total blanks. Just something for a guide when you call PG Adams.

Thanks, Steve

Thank you Steve. Really appreciate it. I will be calling them later today.

I spoke with them about a year ago to redo "Project R-12" and I"m thinking the rails in 10" were about $65.00 per foot for bare in 5/16ths, M80 grade. These on that truck are wafer thin from the rust but I need crossmembers also, so I'll just get a cutoff there. Don't remember, but think that included delivery.

Rob