Injector Puller

are there diffrent pullers for the 2V engines or are all the same. I see some ads for pullers that will work with cat, detroit, mack etc... I just want one that will work with my Engine.?

I just use two "rolling head" prybars under the side fittings very close to the injector body. I've never had any problems on Mack engines.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If you use a bolt down puller like I have (has the flat bar with the main puller in the middle and also 2 other bolts to the studs of the nozzle)....MAKE SURE you have the injector freed up enough to move back and forth or turn in the head a little before attempting to pull it out or you will break the middle part of it...not good..lol. We always used a prybay to work it around a little and loosen it up some before using the puller.

If you use a bolt down puller like I have (has the flat bar with the main puller in the middle and also 2 other bolts to the studs of the nozzle)....MAKE SURE you have the injector freed up enough to move back and forth or turn in the head a little before attempting to pull it out or you will break the middle part of it...not good..lol. We always used a prybay to work it around a little and loosen it up some before using the puller.

I built a puller using a 3lb slide hammer with a nut that fastened to the high pressure fitting. It worked well with a little effort and solvent dumped along the sides of the injector body. I did pull one injector body in half but that was because I really had to get physical as it was stuck but good. I then used an internal pipe wrench in the broken injector body still stuck inside the head and once it would turn in the bore was readily extracted.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

are there diffrent pullers for the 2V engines or are all the same. I see some ads for pullers that will work with cat, detroit, mack etc... I just want one that will work with my Engine.?

I was lucky enought to come across one of the original old style Mack injector pullers at a swapmeet in Indy last year, the guy had a $25 price on it, the part number on the paper work has this part# S-572. the price when new was $ 139.77 i bet you couldnt buy it for that now. Ron

• 8 months later...
I built a puller using a 3lb slide hammer with a nut that fastened to the high pressure fitting. It worked well with a little effort and solvent dumped along the sides of the injector body. I did pull one injector body in half but that was because I really had to get physical as it was stuck but good. I then used an internal pipe wrench in the broken injector body still stuck inside the head and once it would turn in the bore was readily extracted.

Rob

That seems to be an effective way of gettin them out Rob. I had one recently where i pulled all 6 injectors in half. The heads were off and I ended up pressing them out with a hydraulic press. They were the worst Ive seen, 3 of the injector tubes pressed out with the injectors

That seems to be an effective way of gettin them out Rob. I had one recently where i pulled all 6 injectors in half. The heads were off and I ended up pressing them out with a hydraulic press. They were the worst Ive seen, 3 of the injector tubes pressed out with the injectors

Hi Skip, what did the cooling passages look like in the head? I'll bet there was very limited service to this area.

Rob

Many years ago when I first started working at a mack dealer I had to pull a injector on a ole 2valve head E-6, I tried the pry bars and no good, then squirted PB Blaster (very good stuff if you havent tried it) down the side of the injector and tried the pry bars again and still no luck. I found an old injector line and cut the nut off of it and welded a hardened large washer to it, then screwed it on the injector and attached a chain to the washer and hooked it to our overhead lift and pulled up with the lift and used a air hammer to finally break it loose and out it came. I have seen guys do this and have the front tires off the ground but that was to dangerous for me. Trust me they can very hard to get out.

Hi Skip, what did the cooling passages look like in the head? I'll bet there was very limited service to this area.

Rob

It looked like the engine had been sitting in a dam. There were no dust seals on the top of the injectors. The truck had been used as a runabout at a saw mill and between the intake, water manifold and the injectors and their recesses was just baked on saw dust and wood chips. I havent seen many bad ones but that has to take the cake :mack1: