Has anyone here ever used a spray can to paint things on a truck or a cab?

Talk about needing a paint job! We should donate a paint brush and a couple fo gallons of paint to this guy! Don't see how he can have this ugly mutt out in public!

I dont know whether to call it bandit or 'Mater....I think I would need a tetnus shot just to get close to it!...Should be the poster child for the anti "Keep our highways beautiful" campaign...

post-6773-0-66221200-1325254267_thumb.jppost-6773-0-46728900-1325254246_thumb.jp

I'd have no problem whatsoever running that truck. I couldn't care less what a truck LOOKS like....an ugly truck makes just as much to haul freight as a pretty one. My only concerns when looking at a truck are the engine, transmission, drive axles, tires, suspension, and frame rails.....can they handle the job I'm going to be asking the truck to do.

FWIW, I painted my '86 Ranger with rattle cans back when I was in college.....

post-1673-0-44903200-1325259929_thumb.jp

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

You will be surprised what a $100.00 generic spray gun will do for you. You will also have it for the next job too. A 3hp Sears compressor is marginal to paint a car with but will do the job. I'd go with a five horse unit if you plan to run any air tools, and can stand the expense.

If you have a Harbor Freight in the area you can buy a cheapo gravity fed HVLP gun for around $30.00. The fan is small, but it will beat the hell out of a spray can. They also sell filter/funnels for next to nothing.

Search around for painting help online if you haven't tried it before. Great chance to learn on someone else's rig.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Leversole -

I love that truck!! Paint or no paint, I would be proud to have it just like it is. It's as straight a B73/75 as I have ever seen.

My point earlier, although taken poorly, was simply that we don't know who owns the green B-Mack. And it may be the best paint he could afford to put on the truck. If it were mine, and I were proud enough to take it to a show, and a bunch of know-it-alls publically ran it down, I would be offended.

Insulting people is not we are all about. Joking about our own trucks between us is one thing - talking about other people's trucks in a negative way is quite a different thing.

If you all decide that this how we should behave - you can count me out of here.

Paul Van Scott

dont seen any fender entensions. isnt that a B615 not a B75? jw. either way i love the Kentucky radiator as we call em up north . would love a B75/ tried to buy one last year, single axle, 673 turbo with triplex singlke axle tractor. offered the guy $2000, he wanted $5500. it was well worth 2000 as it needed a cab but nowhere near 5500. went by there recently where it sat along side a steel nosed Dm and a few big Cat scrapers. looks like he scrapped everything. all that was left was a pile of tires. he probably got $1800 tops for junk. some people amaze me. matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Leversole -

I love that truck!! Paint or no paint, I would be proud to have it just like it is. It's as straight a B73/75 as I have ever seen.

My point earlier, although taken poorly, was simply that we don't know who owns the green B-Mack. And it may be the best paint he could afford to put on the truck. If it were mine, and I were proud enough to take it to a show, and a bunch of know-it-alls publically ran it down, I would be offended.

Insulting people is not we are all about. Joking about our own trucks between us is one thing - talking about other people's trucks in a negative way is quite a different thing.

If you all decide that this how we should behave - you can count me out of here.

Paul Van Scott

I still do not see where anybody ran that truck down. The question posed was not sarcastic, malicious, geared toward negativity, or any of the like. Although the question could, and maybe should have been worded differently, it was sincere. My thoughts are it was a gathering of information to help a fellow hobbiest along with his repaint/restoration. This subject was mentioned in the beginning of the thread. In my understanding, that is what fellowship is about. I think it is why we come here. This antique truck collecting/showing, etc. is fellowship no matter how it's sliced. I even read an apology in the explanation once another participant expressed displeasure with the posting.

I, as a site moderator will not kill a post simply because someone does not like the content. I will however maintain an unbiased stance on posting. That includes welcoming both sides of any "gentlemanly" argument. If the subject goes to attacking someone's personal character, or something they did to someone else whether it was personal experience or not, I will interact up to banning a participant. As an example; should you purchase from another participant, then decide you do not feel treated fairly, it is not a place to express your displeasure about the sale here. This I consider a private matter. I would however have no hesitation to use the feedback forum to leave a negative reputation point that could be followed up upon privately. By all means I urge participants to use the feedback forum; that's what it is for.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

hotrod mag has ran several articals on spray bomb paint jobs an even a roll on method...an god not show wining,but good results can be obtained...95% of a great paint job is in good prep an body work,..other 5% is luck!! what i boils down to is,...same amount of work for cheap paint that wont last or protect to save few bucks,..add up supples both ways,...doubt its 200 bucks deference...

Pleaseeeeeeee, Paulllllllll don't leave us. I'm missing you already. I did not mean to offend anybody on this site. Pleaseeeee Forgive me just this time.

Sobbbbbb, Sniff, Sniff, Boo Who, Sniff

Guess i'll go back to my room now. Now Rob is going to hurt my feelings when he modulates this.

mike

Well we all know I have no pride so I think I could be proud to own that. We should prolly go ahead and arrange the freight to my place. LOL.

Rob

That is a great looking truck! And i'm closer than Rob, i'll catch a ride with the next driver going to Milton Steel and drive it back here and store it for you for free.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Think I'm gonna need to modulate my ass on up that way to get my new truck with the vibration.

Rob

I worked out a trade for the mixer. Leversole is going to start driving south and i'm heading north in the mixer. We're gonna leave at the same time and when we meet, probably somewhere around Culpeper, Va. we're just gonna swap vehicles.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Here Here! Why is it that we all bemoan every rig that heads to the scrapper and than we poke at someone who made the effort to save a rig?

Besides, one absolute maxim about buying a rig is to NEVER believe that a picture of the rig is what it actually looks like. I have looked at a lot of rigs that were beautiful in the picture and turned out to not be worth the cost of the trip to go look at them in person.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Here Here! Why is it that we all bemoan every rig that heads to the scrapper and than we poke at someone who made the effort to save a rig?

Besides, one absolute maxim about buying a rig is to NEVER believe that a picture of the rig is what it actually looks like. I have looked at a lot of rigs that were beautiful in the picture and turned out to not be worth the cost of the trip to go look at them in person.

I think Leversole's rig looks pretty good in pictures myself. Hell, I was all geared up to be proud to own it. Maybe it doesn't look so good in person and other dog got screwed by trading the mixer? LOL.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I worked out a trade for the mixer. Leversole is going to start driving south and i'm heading north in the mixer. We're gonna leave at the same time and when we meet, probably somewhere around Culpeper, Va. we're just gonna swap vehicles.

You better load the mixer with DEICE juice! (or Tennesee Whiskey)!

Talk about needing a paint job! We should donate a paint brush and a couple fo gallons of paint to this guy! Don't see how he can have this ugly mutt out in public!

I dont know whether to call it bandit or 'Mater....I think I would need a tetnus shot just to get close to it!...Should be the poster child for the anti "Keep our highways beautiful" campaign...

post-6773-0-66221200-1325254267_thumb.jppost-6773-0-46728900-1325254246_thumb.jp

Her theme song...sing along now..."I'm just an old chunk of coal....but I'm gonna be a diamond some day"!!

• 1 month later...

For whatever it is worth, I was introduced to spray can paint from Imperial Supply in Green Bay. The body man who told me to try it was right. I use it for small parts and individual panels.I was told it had more pigments that others. I had tried BPS by Valspar which comes from Tractor Supply but did not work as well. Paint guns are best but when you are doing a small job you may not want to have to take the time to clean the gun. I have had good luck in touching up trailers as well. Damage in transit is easily fixed. The 99 cent Walmart stuff just will not work. Good for patio furniture and such. Also, I carry a can in my tractor so I can keep my trailers clean looking.which helps the DOT man off my back. Part of it is how you prepare the surface and then how you lay the paint on. Too much sags and too little looks like a spray can. Blending the overlaps is not as easy as with a gun but you can do it with practice.

Do not knock the brush. In the old days a good painter could lay down a paint job with a brush and it would be as smooth as glass. Those kind of paints are illegal today and hardly anybody has those skills anyway. I still use a brush for varnish on wood decks and floorboards. You have to warm the product and use a HIGH quality brush. The technique for flowing the product so that there are no air bubbles or visable brush marks takes time and practice. Well worth the effort.