No Air Psi?

88R686st

hey guys. today I went to wash my truck 1980 mack. I started let it idle for about 15 minutes before i moved it. and it built air psi no problem so i moved truck left it running steamed it off got in to park it and realised the psi gauge was about 80. moved truck air psi went down but never came back up. so i drained tanks and all that came out was some alchol that i had put in there last week. truck doesnt have an air dryer but we allways drain tanks and put the air line anti freeze in there. also the commpresor is about 2 years old. i dont think the commpressor is coming on i need some help. i was thinking maybe its the governer? any help would be great because they are talking about a big snow storm comming this week and the truck needs to plow. thanx for all your help. :bulldog1:

88 R686st

80 R685

93 Ford L8000

02 Ford F550xl

06 Ford F550xlt

06 Ford F350 lariat

It doesn't really sound like a bad governor. The unloader port of the compressor needs pressure to turn the compressor "off". So if you have no air in the system at all, the compressor should start to charge the tanks. Maybe the governor is indeed frozen and the air is trapped in the unloader line holding the unloader valve open preventing the compressor from charging the tanks. Unhook the line between the governor and the compressor and see if the air pressure builds (also see if there was indeed air trapped in the unloader line), or unbolt the governor from the compressor. Be warned that this will not cut the compressor out so you will have to shut the engine down before you over pressurize the system.

If you unhook the unloader line and you still aren't getting any pressure also unhook the sender to the tanks and see if air is shooting out which would indicate a clogged line or bad check valve on the tank. if you get no air with both lines unhooked, you have a bad compressor.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

i fixed it yesterday. it was th unloader valves in the compressor. i pulled them out cleaned them up and greased them. she is good as new. thanx for the help.

88 R686st

80 R685

93 Ford L8000

02 Ford F550xl

06 Ford F550xlt

06 Ford F350 lariat

Be warned that this will not cut the compressor out so you will have to shut the engine down before you over pressurize the system.

Thad, I believe my tanks have a pressure relief valve, which should alleviate this problem. I do not know what pressure this is set to.

I do agree with you however, that we should be ready to shut the engine down, just in case backups do not work.

Regards, Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck