Oil In Air Lines

graham1948

How much oil is too much oil to be getting into the air tanks on a B model. Recently on a 2000mile trip I noticed I was getting oil into my air tank. About half a cup on the first tank from the compressor, just a spray into the second tank and nothing in the final tank. Is this normal. Some guys tell me this is normal and I should just get into the habit of bleeding the tanks everytime I pull over, some guys tell me to have the compressor overhauled, but if it is not necessary I would rather not do it. Any advice would be appreciated. Graham

Guest Bollweevil

While a compressor replacement might seem to be expensive, You cannot afford to just let it go. Eventually oil will make it into the brake valves, and into the brake chambers. A little oil will soften and ruin brake pancakes, It will also capture water and hold it in the system. Next thing you know, you will be on the side of the road with the brakes froze up, or a pancake blown. Make it a practice to check the one way check valve between the compressor and supply tank. Cold weather brings more condensation into the air supply, and at engine shutdown, a bad check valve will allow any build up of water oil mix to be blown back into the compressor. If you have had to add air line deicer, it just adds volume to the liquid in the tank. An air compressor can't compress liquid. Then you're back where you started. Take the time to check it , good luck. James

You could have a bad ring or head seal in your compressor. They can and will pass oil, but how fast does the oil build up? If you drain your tanks every day and notice allot of oil then you have a problem. Might I also suggest a filter between the compressor and tank to try and catch oil before it makes it into the tanks.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Bloody hell...that's what I thought. Today I took the starter off and reconditioned it, getting the compressor off is a bit more difficult, jammed right up against the steering box. But if it has to be done, it has to be done. Looks like I'll be under the old girl again tomorrow, pity it's not a 23 year old blonde. Thanks for your help. Regards Graham

Forgot to mention that First Gear was right on the money last week we did have oil coming out the air horns. Never mind, I keep telling my wife, it's only money, tresuary is printing more of it every day. Graham

My B used to make oil milkshakes everytime I took it out. The valves on the dash would seep oil down the front! Once I got it rebuilt I can't get more than a drip out of the tank(probably residual left from all them years it was bad).

Like mentioned, it will get into seals and start causing more greif so it's money well spent.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I'm pulling the compressor off on Friday to overhaul it. At the same time I am going to try to track down a few other oil leaks etc. New sump gasket for a start. A friend of mine with a B61 has a noise at the front of the engine that sounds like it is coming from the harmonic balancer. It has only just started and it is like a knock of some sort. Someone told him the harmonic balancer has fluid in it and if the truck has been standing the fluid goes hard. Is this so, and if so how is it fixed? Graham

When you pull the compressor, check the water lines to be sure the compressor is getting circulation. If the compressor air intake is plumbed to intake side of the turbo, you should update it by either plumbing to intake manifold or installing a filter kit on the compressor.

• 2 months later...

When you pull the compressor, check the water lines to be sure the compressor is getting circulation. If the compressor air intake is plumbed to intake side of the turbo, you should update it by either plumbing to intake manifold or installing a filter kit on the compressor.

Not only will it soften rubber pancakes,but it will also soften old style rubber air lines making things dangerous not to mention an out of service sticker from your friendly DOT man.Believe me its a lot cheaper to change your compressor.You might want to pull a pancake or an air line going to the chamber to see how bad the contamination is.If it isn't too bad you can flush the system with brake system alchohol.If you pull a pancake from a maxi can make sure you have the service side and not the spring brake side,that spring could really ruin your day.Oh yeah,motor oil can also ruin the rubbers in air valves(eg. quick release valve).Good luck,I hope your system isn,t that contaminated.TOMBSTONE

We replaced the compressor with a new one and since then we have covered about 3000 miles without incident. It took about 500 miles to get all the junk out of the lines and they are now beautifully clean. Thanks for your help. Regards Graham