6 Speed

kevin mccune

Sure have Kevin I have 2 laying in the driveway that have seen better days..lol. The last one got so much wear on the countershaft bearings it started breaking teeth on the gears. I could tell some of the stuff I done to that thing but it would make me look bad an nobody would believe me anyways..lol. But I will say I ran it an entire shift squalling like a siren in 2002...it might have had a quart of oil in it. I filled it that evening after work and ended up running that tranny until early 05. They are an amazing piece. I dont think theres a gear in it with all its teeth intact and it hauled right up till I downed it to change it out. It held together long enough to carry me thru some very rough times.

The other one was torn out by a rookie driver on a steep bank.....the only weak spot I have seen in them is 1st gear. You get one on a really steep bank and 2nd bogs out and you snatch 1st real quick and wheelie it...theres a good chance its gonna be a 5 speed afterwards..lol. Keep in mind this is probably grossing 110000-130000...so that lick would probably split the case on a Fuller..lol.

Basically stupidity or stupidity is the only way to hurt one. I honestly think they'd run a month on swamp water for oil.

Nothing like a Mack...

One thing that I've seen happen a number of times on the TRXL 107 or 1071 is that a tooth will come off one of the reverse idler gears, causing a banging noise when in reverse.

It's usually caused by a driver trying to jam the compound in reverse while the truck is still moving, or without using the clutch brake.

Other than that, I agree they're indestructible.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"