Is Volvo Good Or Bad For Mack Trucks?

February Poll  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Is Volvo's ownership a good thing for Mack Trucks?

• Yes...Volvo will help Mack Trucks Continue to grow!
    • No...Volvo will ruin the Mack nameplate and destroy the brand!

Speaking of Renault, I heard that Volvo is painting the MP engine black and putting it in Renault trucks. My boss man was at some Mack/Volvo meeting and saw the same enine painted red, green and black for all 3 truck Brands.

Yeah, they look kind of weird that way too. Search the internet for SISU. I think they use both Caterpillar and Renault (volvo) engines in their trucks. The valve covers are shaped a little different than what we have here. I think they are starting to use unpainted engines in the Mack/volvo training classes, probably to keep from offending us overly sensitive Mack guys!

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Yeah, they look kind of weird that way too. Search the internet for SISU. I think they use both Caterpillar and Renault (volvo) engines in their trucks. The valve covers are shaped a little different than what we have here. I think they are starting to use unpainted engines in the Mack/volvo training classes, probably to keep from offending us overly sensitive Mack guys!

I can't seem to find the website I had seen before, I think I have a picture of the engine at work.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

yes it`s a renault engine.

the 11litres engine is build in france by renault.

the 13litres is build in sweden.

i don`t know if vulva uses the 11 litre engine in their trucks.

the engines are the same but only the electronicks are differend.

renault has his own electronicks on their engines.

mack4ever. (leon)

my boss wished he kept our 78 r 86 r and 01 rd the 04 and 05 granites run nice but too much plastic and electrical stuff to go wrong.i agree stuff is not made like the r models were .not to last but wear out and buy another .here in the chicago area i see lots of r and superliners runnin every day and im down with electrical issues or pushing coolant .mack of joliet changed the waterpump after we changed the overflow tank from plastic to the alum oneand it still pushrd coolant until i changed the cap on the tank!dont get me started on our mack shop here .chicago mack was our place to go but this shop is closer but anyways im off track.i think volvo with take the money run em into the ground and we ll lose a damn good construction truck but thats my opinion.sure camelback is rough ridin but its good off roadthe 78 had a2 sticl with i think it was the 237it was a small motor but you could get rollinnot a fast ride but it was always ready to go.lets hope for the best for mack

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Renault, I heard that Volvo is painting the MP engine black and putting it in Renault trucks. My boss man was at some Mack/Volvo meeting and saw the same enine painted red, green and black for all 3 truck Brands.

Also green for Volvo-Penta,Volvo busses and Volvo construction equipment.

UD trucks is using the D11 for a while.Color??????????

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

no comment,,dont see the connection,,lol..bob

You say no comment becuase the truth hurts with you.:)lol

Also I was watching American Trucker were the UPS driver said the engine in his mack truck was a VOLVO! :)lol

My Mack dealership been selling alot of Macks this year. I think this will be there biggest year yet. Also I see Mack dealers are not really stocking the Titan. It sounds to me that the Titan truck will be an "on order truck only" . Mack did give some very big disconts on the left over 1yo new Titans. Our dealership had three Titans two sold after one year sitting on the lot and the third one was a dealer transfer to another dealer and to date they have not stocked Titans since.

Terry E Davis of Johnson City NY

• 2 weeks later...

well thats terrific,glad to hear it,,i dont like anything about volvo,,,i was stuck in one for 5 years,and i hated it,,they have no looks whatsoever,,and everthing falls off them,the front ends was always wobbling or pulling to the right,,electric problems.every 2 weeks was something wrong with it,,too much glass,sun beats in at ya,hard to clean windows,nothing to grab onto,log book teeters,on that bubble steering wheel,and keep hitting air horn,when doing log,,back window too high,day cab cant see when hooking into box,nothing to hold onto,when backing,cant reach lunchbox,passenger seat too far.then three railer chains beat the hell outta shocks.too close.to tires,,even mechanics tell me thier hard to work on,no place to step,,wiring not colorcoated,and ill bet they are.then volvo likes to tell you,ya baby your truck is first in line here,,but they tell everone that..gimme a mack anyday,woohoo.lol..bob

• Like 2

Really sad to read this topic.

I have been educated through reading this and reading this has allowed me to realise why certain things in Europe are the way they are, regarding Volvo, Renault and in the US....Mack.

Seems the Europeans are having a go at messing up your trucks.....I look at recent Kenworths, Frightliners etc. and I see a lot of European influences, this is not good, as Euro trucks are nowhere near as strong as US trucks.

The majority of Euro trucks are not designed to leave tarmac and when they do, even to pull up on a grass verge, they get stuck! It truly is dire what has happened over here.

Driver input has been taken away and the majority of trucks are automatic, this again creates problems that weren`t there before.

Seems the whole world is preoccupied with allowing computers to operate machinary, unfortunately, once you put these machines into the environment of nature, they very quickly fail or refuse to work. This is because they are designed in perfect conditions, we all know that nature seldom allows perfection.

I am going to look at a 78` F700 tomorrow, with a veiw to buy and preserve, after reading this thread, it has made me all the more determined to buy it.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Volvo is good for mack and mack is here to stay thanks to volvo. Hope this put all the rumors on this board to rest with all the mack diehard poeple on this board.

Terry

What a crock pot full of :icon_bs:

Volv o is making it harder day by day to get parts for the OLDER Macks So they can putthat damn volvo drive train on a dog . ya see alot more older dogs running the road than ya do a POS VOLVO !!!!!!!! ESP IN THE ROCK,SAND & DIRT PITS Round here in the Memphis area !!!!

BOUT THE ONLY VOLVO CONSTRUCTION TRUCKS IN THE MEMPHIS AREA ARE OWNED BY THE CITY OF MEMPHIS & THEY ARE BEING PHASED OUT DUE THEY STAY IN THE SHOP SO DAMN MUCH !!!! MY COUSIN IS A MECHANIC FOR THE CITY OF MEMPHIS I KNOW HIS BOSS (THE HEAD SHOP FOREMAN)

& HE EVEN AGREES VOLVO CANT GET THE SERVICE OUT OF THE VHD VOLVO OR GO WHERE THE CITY RD MACKS GOES!!! THE RD MACKS ARE STAYING THE VHD VOLVO DUMPS ,ROLLOFFS & TRACTORS ARE BEING PHASED OUT !!!!! DOES THAT TELL YA HOW DAMN GOOD A VOLVO IS ????????????????

Know several drivers for the city in the heavy equipment divison & they perfer the old macks over the volvo vhd !!!!!!!!

THEY ARE AS GOOD FOR MACK AS A BULLET IS TO MY HEAD !!!!

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

• 2 months later...

Your living in fantasy land by your comments its time to get back to the real life .

What a crock pot full of :icon_bs:

Volv o is making it harder day by day to get parts for the OLDER Macks So they can putthat damn volvo drive train on a dog . ya see alot more older dogs running the road than ya do a POS VOLVO !!!!!!!! ESP IN THE ROCK,SAND & DIRT PITS Round here in the Memphis area !!!!

BOUT THE ONLY VOLVO CONSTRUCTION TRUCKS IN THE MEMPHIS AREA ARE OWNED BY THE CITY OF MEMPHIS & THEY ARE BEING PHASED OUT DUE THEY STAY IN THE SHOP SO DAMN MUCH !!!! MY COUSIN IS A MECHANIC FOR THE CITY OF MEMPHIS I KNOW HIS BOSS (THE HEAD SHOP FOREMAN)

& HE EVEN AGREES VOLVO CANT GET THE SERVICE OUT OF THE VHD VOLVO OR GO WHERE THE CITY RD MACKS GOES!!! THE RD MACKS ARE STAYING THE VHD VOLVO DUMPS ,ROLLOFFS & TRACTORS ARE BEING PHASED OUT !!!!! DOES THAT TELL YA HOW DAMN GOOD A VOLVO IS ????????????????

Know several drivers for the city in the heavy equipment divison & they perfer the old macks over the volvo vhd !!!!!!!!

THEY ARE AS GOOD FOR MACK AS A BULLET IS TO MY HEAD !!!!

heres my two cents. mack is way better off now than they were 10 yrs ago. the new macks with the mp engines especially mp8 are way better than the ac and ai engines they replaced. yes mack still has some things id like to see them do like make a lower titan model with bigger sleepers and call it a superliner like in australia but really thats all they need in there lineup to have the best line of trucks available. also maybe a smaller medium duty truck to compete with peterbilt medium trucks.but there is no doubt in my mind they are better now than in the recent past

• 4 weeks later...

also maybe a smaller medium duty truck to compete with peterbilt medium trucks.but there is no doubt in my mind they are better now than in the recent past

Any medium duty we would ever release would either be based off a Volvo medium duty or a UD. It is like that with all bands though Paccar, Daimler... The Mack Freedom was a Renault.

Any medium duty we would ever release would either be based off a Volvo medium duty or a UD. It is like that with all bands though Paccar, Daimler... The Mack Freedom was a Renault.

I thought the Metroliner was already in that category. Standard Mack cab with a 105" BBC and Cummins ISL engine under the hood. We don't need Volvo or UD trucks. If you look at the US market cab overs are not popular, and that is all Volvo or UD could offer. I like em but many others don't. Hino looked at the market and saw that a conventional design was the way to go. And they were very successful with that design too. Since Paccar brought the DAF LF over I have only seen a scarce few, my local KW/Mack dealer (Gabrielli) dealer had about 4 or 5 on their lot and they sat and sat and sat. Who wants a European truck with European parts that are difficult and expensive to get in the US? Bottom line is the Metroliner is not foreign and can easily be built at Macungie, so whats the delay?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 3 weeks later...

Volvo doesn't care at all about what the Mack name represents to us. Within the thought process of the Volvo Swedes, the Mack name might as well not exist. The only reason the Mack name is still around at all, on paper, is because Volvo frankly would fall on their face in North American if they tried to merge the brand 100% under Volvo. But behind the scenes, there is no Mack Trucks anymore (ask any dealer - they'll tell you). Truck and component production is all under the Volvo name. The alleged Mack headquarters is located now within Volvo's North American headquarters in Greensboro, North Carolina.

The reality is, the United States only has two heavy truckmakers left, that being Paccar and Navistar. The Germans own Freightliner/Western Star and the Swedes own Mack. If you want to support American companies and keep U.S. money in the U.S., you might want to think about that.

Volvo engines, transmissions and chassis? Low-end build quality (not the Mack truck of 15 years ago). New Volvo global part numbers on Mack parts that have no meaning (Mack numbers brilliantly told Mack parts people for decades what the part was). I could go on and on.

At least Renault understood the value of the Mack brand when they had it and nourished the company back to greatness. Volvo, on the other hand, has gutted the company down to nothing (they sell a few Mack transmissions and Mack rears from time to time). Volvo remains clueless that Mack Trucks is the most unique truck brand in America (to know one or more arrogant Volvo Swede and experience their demeanor is to understand why).

Over the decades that Mack engineers were designing legendary world class drivetrains, Volvo's components did not even compare. If Mack Trucks still existed and had been allowed to continue with component, cab and chassis design, the "pedigreed" Mack product would be superior to Volvo (ask any customer with a Volvo VHD).

Volvo’s track record in the US market is humiliating. Volvo has been in the US market for some 38 years (they unsuccessfully introduced the F86US in 1974). The fact that Volvo has realistically accomplished so little in almost 4 decades speaks volumes about the company’s inability to understand the US market.

Edited by kscarbel