Is Volvo Good Or Bad For Mack Trucks?

February Poll  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Is Volvo's ownership a good thing for Mack Trucks?

• Yes...Volvo will help Mack Trucks Continue to grow!
    • No...Volvo will ruin the Mack nameplate and destroy the brand!

I have some questions regarding this subject :

- Did Renault help/hurt Mack when they owned them ? :idunno:

- Would Mack have sunk if it werent for Volvo ? :idunno:

I'm not sure on tha renault question however I know that they helped Mack get a 700hp E-9 into a french army tank as well as a tank transporter.

2 NO NOT ONLY NO but HELL no through out the ninties Mack gained market share every year, because the trucks were MACK tough. I'm not sure what caused all the engine problems with the E-7 engines after the E.G.R. system was introduced but the e-tech 427 in my vision has given me very very good service and currently has over 755000 miles on her. :mack1:

post-2321-1209181629_thumb.jpg

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

• 2 weeks later...
Herb...and taken it a step farther and targeted them for eradication....

Amen :twothumbsup:

If VOLVO was was Johnson Grass on 1 of the Soybean fields we farmed back 20 yrs ago they would had been killed off w/ Round UP :loldude:

Maybe then Autocar & White Motor Company would still be strong as an Ox as well as Champion (graders) & Clark Michigan & Akerman too just to name a few w/o the the diease of Volvo hitting them like the black plage .

I miss the sound of an 35 ,45 ,55 & 175 Michigan loader w/ a Detroit or Cummins in it loading trucks :(

later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

ANY THING THAT DONT WORK FOR VOLVO THEY PUT IT ON THE MACK THERE IS A LOCAL COMPANY CLOSE TO ME THAT HAS RUN MACKS FOR 30 YEARS VERY LARGE FLEET VOLVO CAME IN AND SAID THEY WOULD THEM 3 VOLVOS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE MACK SO THEY ORDERED 300 THAT TIME KNOW HAVE WHOLE FLEET OF JUNK THAT VOLVO CANT EVEN FIX BUT NO VOLVO ISNT TRYING TO HURT MACK THERE HERE TO HELP

Well after seeig the all MACK + VOLVO dilema. Only thing I have to say is that in some sort of way VOLVO helped the MACK product line to evolutionize. MACK has now competitive trucks in respect of desing, aerodinamycs and comfort. In the ENGINE drama... Is a MACK or a VOLVO ????? I have to say that the DIESEL ENGINE for both brands, althougth identical (TWINS ????) they work and perform very far from each other. Lots of MACK MP-7 and MP-8 running prety good,while VOLVO D Series are having some 'issues"

Only thing VOLVO has to left untouched are the MACK Gearbox, Suspension,Axles and Rear End. Maybe VOLVO put a little Re-Design on the GRANITE Series wich is evolving every few years and that is OK with me. MACK will get stronger only if customers kept being faithfull to the product and when you know your boss is going to the MACK dealer, please take the time to go with him, because the VOLVORIZED employees at the MACK dealer will ask your bos for cheap components (like MERITOR) on the truck to be spec'd

Our local MACK DEALER MA CARIBBEAN INC at least ask for all MACK DRIVE TRAIN.

We have to let the VOLVO /MACK thing continue on only if both brands do not take actions in the way each other has to be.

I love all MACK PRODUCT LINE. Now we have a TITAN to compete with the other Big Trucks, Now we have that luxurious RAWHIDE interior to compete with other trucks. Now we have 6 cylinder engines that can compete in the HORSE POWER WARS and be fuel efficient and all that for your hate or love is in part thanks to VOLVO.

I'm not sure on tha renault question however I know that they helped Mack get a 700hp E-9 into a french army tank as well as a tank transporter.

2 NO NOT ONLY NO but HELL no through out the ninties Mack gained market share every year, because the trucks were MACK tough. I'm not sure what caused all the engine problems with the E-7 engines after the E.G.R. system was introduced but the e-tech 427 in my vision has given me very very good service and currently has over 755000 miles on her. :mack1:

The RENAULT /MACK aliance was one that worked very well.

Take the time to think about if MACK TRUCKS could have survived today's ENVIROMENTAL policies with their aged E7 engine line-up and all the R /RB and DM models that were getting to old for the times.

Volvo take the task to take the MACK product line on to a new ERA. Sure there has been some issues and problems and maybe the people at MACK let the VOLVO people take all control of what a MACK truck should be.

My only wish is that VOLVO just let MACK TRUCKS be all MACK BREED and only help with Engines /Chassis and Cabs. The other components have to be MACK.

The RENAULT /MACK aliance was one that worked very well.

It may have worked well in the US and Europe, but failed dismally in Australia. Examples are the Qantum, powered by the EA7-470 (same as the E7) with Eaton box and meritor diffs on Hendrickson HAS suspension. European cab and chassis, along with obligatory Euro-snot plumbing and 24volt electrics. Except the engine which kept ALL it's 12 volt electrics. Are we getting the picture here, bad, nasty hybrid. The other major catastrophe was the Magnum,(block of flats as we call 'em). Again French cab and chassis wrapped neatly around a Cummins Signature, Eaton box and all the rest as per previous effort.

They were such a dismal failure, they are no longer sold here!

P.S. Anyone want to buy a 1999 model Qantum, engine just had 2nd in chassis rebuild 30,000km ago, complete with factory fitted air leaks, cracking cab, cracked windscreen. All shockers replaced in last 18 months, all cab air bags replaced in last 2 years, most air valves rebuilt/replaced in last 2 years, new uni joints in last 3 months, L/H fuel tank has been welded at least 8 times, still leaks as per design spec., guaranteed no rust (plastic don't rust you see), new hydraulic lines on cab jack system 2 weeks ago, new cab ram last year (it bent), new gear linkage tube ( it bent too). Open to offers. :P See my picture gallery for scary pictures.

For some reason The MACK-VOLVO aliance has not taken a huge place in changing the MACK TRUCK concept here in Puerto Rico. When I went to ur local MACK DEALER M.A CARIBBEAN INC, I saw few of the new MACK TRUCKS on display and everyone of it has MACK components such as gearbox, suspension,axles and rear ends. Because VOLVO TRUCKS are rarely sold here (Only if you import them from outside dealers) I think that is the main reason our MACKS have been less "VOLVORIZED"

Just see that pictures I posted here about that MACK GRANITE Dump Truck. When I saw it at the show I said here comes a truck that is ruined by VOLVO, butr to my surprise that 2008 MACK GRANITE still has a MACK gearbox, suspension, axles and all that good MACK stuff!!!!!

• 3 months later...

I can only hope Mack honor their warranties better than Volvo. Our FH16 had a new engine in March as per Volvo recall (see my previous post), and since then has been back to Volvo 3 times for different things. Last week the starter jammed on, so they came out and replaced it, and sent a bill. They also mentioned the water pump was leaking. When questioned about warranty they said no, truck is over a year old. When reminded that the engine was new in March, as in an out of the crate brand new engine, same reply, no warranty! The boss then questioned them about a second hand truck he had just signed for with a new 520 (yep brand new crate engine), and got told the same thing, no warranty as truck is second hand. He then took great delight in telling them to rip up the sales contract and stick their truck where the sun don't shine!!!

• 3 months later...

I wish Volvo had treated Mack the way Ford treated Volvo cars when it bought Volvo. Ford did borrow and share some some chassis/platforms and technology from Volvo but it not change its identity . Volvo cars still make great reliable cars and it is difficult or impossible to see a Ford connection from a customer's point of view. I am in the auto business that is why I have observed this. It would be great if the Volvos were just borrowing Mack technology and not taking the Mackness out of Mack. I think a Mack/Scania merger would have been a better fit and Scanias seem like tough trucks too. In todays market it is hard for auto compaines to survive without some type of alliance because research and development of technology is so expensive especially when they have to meet regulations such as emissions.

Edited by dmmack76

• 4 months later...

I grew up in macks these are not macks. Grandad had two old Michigan loaders volvo destroyed Clark Michigan thats what they do they are a cancer they assimilate the good and replace it with garbage. They are not capable of any good designs of there own so they buy everyone elses. There could be improvements made on the old macks nobody says all change is bad but how long can you go with morphing one brand into another that knowone likes before you do the Clark Michigan magic trick and it dissapears. Where I live macks in the construction industry are by far the prefered brand there are virtually no volvo's. I know some guys who bought some "vhd's" with big milage, reliability and preformance promises "wa wa wa" none of the above, he got rid of all of them! This isn't a third world country people work hard for what they have and expect what the have to work hard for them. If I spend $xxx,xxx.00 on a piece of equiptment I expect it to be the best it can be not the cheapest or the flimsiest. As for the service dept. with the "your mack is homorphodite" attitude there is probably no place and no one thing in this country that they could lay a finger on that a MACK TRUCK wasn't a part of building, hauling, moving or whatever else you can think of.......So remember when you see the old "DM" or the "R" or every once and a while the "B" that is not just a truck or a piece of iron its coal to the power plant, rock to the ready mix, blacktop to the highway, a ride with grandpa on a warm summer day black smoke rolling, its history.

Maybe we should have shipped all the pressing for Mack to India to continue production so you could continue to live in the past.

The Mack brand needed a change.. it needed to follow the way of Harley Davidson to rejuvinate its brand image. If it doesnt the brand would only be good for museum pieces and shows and collectors. There is a great Mack past and that will never change, but maybe you should think of a great Mack future. Maybe you would have prefered to be alligned with Daimler like most of the other brands and maybe have gone the way of Sterling?

There are a lot of interesting comments on this forum both technical and topical, and a forum is about free speech and now you have my 2 cents worth.

Maybe we should have shipped all the pressing for Mack to India to continue production so you could continue to live in the past.

Mack's past was much better than the present, since the V*lv* takeover.

The Mack brand needed a change.. it needed to follow the way of Harley Davidson to rejuvinate its brand image. If it doesnt the brand would only be good for museum pieces and shows and collectors. There is a great Mack past and that will never change, but maybe you should think of a great Mack future.

There is no Mack future since the V*lv* takeover.

Maybe you would have prefered to be alligned with Daimler like most of the other brands and maybe have gone the way of Sterling?
Mack will indeed be "going the way of Sterling" as a result of the V*lv* assimilation.
There are a lot of interesting comments on this forum both technical and topical, and a forum is about free speech and now you have my 2 cents worth.

Free speech is good. Now I've reiterated my point of view too.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

The Mack brand needed a change.. it needed to follow the way of Harley Davidson to rejuvinate its brand image. If it doesnt the brand would only be good for museum pieces and shows and collectors. There is a great Mack past and that will never change, but maybe you should think of a great Mack future. Maybe you would have prefered to be alligned with Daimler like most of the other brands and maybe have gone the way of Sterling?

The Mack brand needed a change.. what a load of s*^t have you had a look at kenworth? they have been making the same thing for how long? obviously it has been working and consistent, something that people rely apon day in day out, you obviously have not looked very wide, or dont know the market very well.

In Australia there are more kenworths than macks on the road, city to city B doubles , there are more Kenwoths hauling road trains than mack, there are more kenworths hauling timber from the bush than mack's. there are more kenworths operating in the most demanding enviromental conditions than mack, Kenworths are hauling 400 tonne coal trans, 200 tonne plus hauling salt from the salt flats etc....

These areas outlined above were the domain of MACK's, the R and the superliner were rock solid, dependable, reliable, stable. people knew what they were getting

So why is this so? with the introduction of the CH, Australia made the CLR with the mack v8 bigger bonnet and higher cab height for beter ventilation & air flow.

people were soon not very happy with them and started looking around.

so people switched to kenworth, kenworh had been very solid for a very long time, consistent, robust, reliable and have stuck server since,

late 90's mack produced the Titan, to compete with the Kenworths and westernstar, the Titan went back to the Superliner roots, and what operators wanted that hauled road trains, and heavy loads in extream conditions

Mack Australia in the early 00"s introduced the trident for double road trains, and in also introduced the french cab over which was a flop. yet kenworth are still being consistent, same boring old model line up etc

Now Mack Australia have reintroduced the superliner to compete with kenworth for the T650 and the Titan for the T908 & C08, they have to claw back everyone that did buy macks and have gone to some thing else.

Mind you i am not in the game only an observer so if Mack did need to "rejuvinate its brand image" it has taken a very long & expensive way of going about it. Yet still boring old kenwoth have just been doing the same boring old thing of being consistent producing a quality product.

so thats my 5 cents worth oz dont have 1 & 2's any more :)

• 1 month later...
Your talking about History and problems that occured before the Volvo association,

And its this History I have in mind when I say re-invent, The New breed product will be a stable long term development platform for the future..

I HATE TO TELL YOU THIS BUT I WORK THIS VOLVO JUNK ALL THE TIME AND THERE IS NOTHING STABLE ABOUT IT ANY THING THAT DONT WORK ON THE VOLVO PLATFORM THEY PUT IT IN THE MACK

Its nice to be the focus of all problems... AND THERE IS NO NEED TO YELL Next we will be the reason behind the current financial crisis..

If you dont like working on Volvo junk all the time why do keep doing it???

Its simple, wind back the clock, get rid of the new emissions regs and go back to the old polluters..

Then go back to worse fuel consumption, less GCW,

Its just not going to happen.. move forward and work with what you have.. and have some faith that not everyone has given up on the Mack brand.

As much as I see the majority here think the Mack and Volvo is a bad match, what were the alternatives and based on current economic times what might have happened.. The Auto industry in the USA looks mighty shaky..

again Have faith...

Its nice to be the focus of all problems... AND THERE IS NO NEED TO YELL Next we will be the reason behind the current financial crisis..

If you dont like working on Volvo junk all the time why do keep doing it???

Its simple, wind back the clock, get rid of the new emissions regs and go back to the old polluters..

Then go back to worse fuel consumption, less GCW,

Its just not going to happen.. move forward and work with what you have.. and have some faith that not everyone has given up on the Mack brand.

As much as I see the majority here think the Mack and Volvo is a bad match, what were the alternatives and based on current economic times what might have happened.. The Auto industry in the USA looks mighty shaky..

again Have faith...

HOSS ITS LIKE THIS WORST FUEL CONSUMPTION WE HAVE A 97 CH WITH A 427 THAT GETS OVER 7 MPG I KNOW THERE IS NO GOING BACK BUT WHEN YOU COMPARE A TRUCK WITH 2 MILLION MILES ON IT AND A NEW TRUCK AND THE NEW DONT MAKE IT 200 MILES WITH OUT A BREAKDOWN AND THE OLD ONE ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CHECK THE OIL IM SORRY BUT THE WAY I SEE IT THE ONLY THING A NEW TRUCK HAS TO OFER IS MORE MONEY FOR AL GORE AND I WILL NEVER GIVE UP ON MACK MACK IS MY FAMLY HISTORY SO FAR NEW ISNT BETTER AND IF YOU SAY IT IS ITS BECAUSE YOU DESIGHN THEM AND NOT FIX THEM NEIL MESSERLEY