Quad Shifting

HeyCharger

Hi Guys. Now that I've traded in my Duplex for a Quad, I've been reading all I can re shifting.

One area that I cannot find any details on is, which lever comes first.

ie I would presume on up-shifting you shift the compound and then the main gear, and on down-shifting, you would shift the main gear first and then the compound.

Am I right? :idunno:

Comments please. Regards, Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

:mack1: HI Rod talked to you on the phone the other day. Always change the main first, main 3 splits main ect . When comming down 3 splits main 3 splits main ect. When in 4th just go to 5th Don't use the compound in 5th . When you get used to it you can use 2 hands and do tricks . Takes a lot of practice. Done 6 years in one Regards Mc OZ

Rod, just follow my little video. Rowing a Quad is not much different then a triplex or Duplex. Just a couple more splits than you are used to with your Duplex.

A quad is basically run like a Triplex only cause you usually don't split with Lo/Lo beyond 1st gear. So when you get to 2nd, split 3 times and go to 3rd, etc.

Downshifting: when you get compound down to LO, then upshift it to OD then dowshift main. Run compound down to LO, then upshift to OD then dowshift main again.

Is it a double OD or single OD quad?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Hi FT and Mc Oz. It is a TRQ-7210, which I believe is a single OD and I think it is also called a 14 speed. Could be wrong though. Thanks, Rod.

ps. Yes, that is an excellent training video. All I need to do now, is mount the laptop on the dash so I can follow your lead. LOL.

Proud owner of;

It is a TRQ-7210

A TRQ 7210 is double overdrive. 5th on the main is overdrive, and hi split on the compound is overdrive too.

I don't have a ratio sheet for a 7210 here in front of me, but I recall the 7210 has slightly more overdrive on 5th than the TRQ7220, and slightly less overdrive on 5th than the TRQ720.

I've driven B models with the TRQ 7210, and it shifts the same as a TRQ7220.

Where I worked back in the 70's there were 2 identical B61 dump trucks, one had a TRQ7220, and the other had a TRQ7210. The one with the TRQ7210 would go a little faster @ 2100 rpm's in 5th hi, due to the slightly more overdrive, other than that no difference.

Herb

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

If I had two cameras, and some decent video editing equipment I'd like to make another video showing both inside and OUT(pipes/smoke/noise).

I like the DVD, but I wish I could fast forward to the driving part but it's not set up that way. You have to watch all the hub-bub THEN watch the driving. I have all his VHS tapes from earlier on and they are nice cause you can fast forward to the good stuff.

Larry

• 1 month later...

Found another classic from the past forum;

Mark,

I'm a Mack 2-sticker too, so jes lissen to me. All ya gots to do is, git in the truck, crank it up, let it warm up a bit and make some air. Then if it's got spring-brakes, release'em, grab the sticks one at a time and stick'em in a slot 'bout close as you ken git um to your right knee. No throttle, jes ease out on the clutch. Whoa, don't let out no more, 'cause you got it in RE-verse. Now, pull the right stick (frum now on, that's the "main") straight back. Now you're in lo-lo-lo.So, ease off on the clutch, give it the throttle and go, put the pedal to the floor and hold it thar, lissenin to that Thermodyne growl. Then pretty quickly let off the throttle, grab the left stick (frum now on that's the compound), stir it around some, punch the pedal back to the floor,........repeat......repeat.......now the "main" and the "compound" at the same time.....then back to the main.....repeat.....repeat, then both at the same time again....You got it? Every now and then, in the middle of a shift, preferably while stirring both sticks, you look up and wave at another trucker you're meeting, also checking your mirrors pretty often, watching oil and water gauges to see that everything's in order, listen to the CB, give road reports to whoever's lisen'in. Atter awhile, you'll be in top cog and you jes keep the hammer down till you get where you're going or the first truck-stop, whichever. If it's a truck-stop, go in and flirt with Suzy, eat sum coffee with a fork, fight a while, being sure to kick sum butts, and git back at it. Now we truckin'. All it takes is guts to start doin' it, then soon all that 'sperience will make you a perfesshunal.

Stan

Proud owner of;

:SMOKIE-LFT: Just to beat that poor ol' dead horse one more lick:

My '45 EH has the straight 5 speed with a 3 speed brownie in it;It'll shift pretty near the same as in the video,right? Only less a few gears?

Speed :SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Ya, pretty much split each main with brownie. Or leave it alone in direct, then just use OD after you're in 5th? Whatever the situation needs, or uses.

I usually skip along when I don't need them all.

Larry

Ya, pretty much split each main with brownie. Or leave it alone in direct, then just use OD after you're in 5th? Whatever the situation needs, or uses.

I usually skip along when I don't need them all.

:SMOKIE-LFT:

That's pretty much how I see it-unless I have some weight on,the only real reason for me to run it through all the gears is just for practice,which I plan to get a lot of on the way home. I imagine once I'm comfortable with the boxes I'll start using mostly 3rd low,4th low,5th low,then direct,then over. 5 gears. :P I think I read the main box is synchro'ed in third through fifth. (Wonder if there's any synchro's left in there?) Of course I've also read the gear spread in :mack1: Trucks is even enough that synchronizers are less important than in other brands.

Thanks for the reply;I'm learning so much from all of you on this forum. :thumb:

BTW-went through my finances today,and due to some unexpected expenses,this trip is gonna be pretty thin-sliced. I'll get it done but will have to skip a few luxuries I'd hoped to get done. No big deal-I'll do that stuff when I get it home.

:SMOKIE-RT:

Speed

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

I think I read the main box is synchro'ed in third through fifth. (Wonder if there's any synchro's left in there?) Of course I've also read the gear spread in Trucks is even enough that synchronizers are less important than in other brands.

There are no synchronizers in that transmission.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

There are no synchronizers in that transmission.

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Yep,HK-you're right. I was just reading the info on transmissions again and the info I saw was on the optional monoshift. I wrongly assumed the straight 5 speed would have the same basic features. Not that it'll make a big difference to me,but thanks for catching that. :clap:

:SMOKIE-RT:

Speed

Rod, I agree with that old clip from Stan. I've just arrived home from another 500 klm trip and I find I shift the quad best when I don't think about it. When I'm concentrating and trying to impress someone I stuff it up all the time. I've just pick the old girl up after having a new throwout bearing as well as new clutch and pressure plates and I must say she is very different to drive even though I only use the clutch for stopping and starting. I don't know why she is so much better to change now, but it is. If I could only get rid of the annoying tinny rattle that is coming from the compound gear lever I be a happy guy. Oh that, and getting her to go faster than 48 mph. Do anyone have a clue as to what might be causing this tinny rattle, if I put my hand on it with the slightest pressure in the absolutely correct position (about middle of the gate) the rattle goes away. Is there a felt or nylon washer or packing that supports the gear lever. The main box lever does not rattle at all. Regards Graham

I tried both those methods and they worked until I had the gearbox out last week. Now she is all back together I have a slightly different rattle. Sounds like metal on metal and when I put the bungy rubber on it this time it makes no difference. It's not loud but it shouldn't be there. It drives me even crazier than I am. Graham

Sounds like my Triplex. Not always, but sometimes it gets a rattl'n noise that if I rest my hand on a shifter it goes away. Harmonics, I suppose? If the moon and sun are in perfect phase it's quiet.....but that ain't very often LOL! I got the rubber heater hose on mine also, but it don't do much.

It might have something to do with the 1.9 million miles that's on it too? LOL!! (or something close to it)

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Freighttrain,your video is great,I saved it on my computer and watch it again from time to time,but speaking of the "Trucks With Two Sticks" video,which is also great,Long Road Productions also has an ATHS series of videos,with no instruction,just old trucks- looking at them,talking about them,then hitting the road for a drive.They have volumes one thru seven I think,there may be another out by now,but whatever truck in particular you like,they probably have it on one of them.The website is on the 'TWO STICKS" DVD,that's where I discovered the antique truck series.I checked it out because I loaned my original "Trucks With Two Sticks" DVD to another driver,and when I got it back it looked like he had used it to scrape rust off of the inside of the frame rails of a 1982 Pitts log trailer,so I ordered A new one.Go figure-some people have no respect! Dr.Bill Comcowich's W-71 is on one of them,either volume IV or VI,they both have A W-71 on them.I have volumes 1,4,and .6 and watch them often-I love the sounds of the old 6-71 GMC,and I'm waiting for A V-8 Mack.

Edited by other dog

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.