Oil Filter Line

LITrucker

Hi everybody,

got a couple of questions I hope someone can answer. I have a 70 R model with a 673e engine I want to put a spin on filter set-up for the oil although I was informed that there are a few different hole configurations on the block mount part I'm going with the hope that by the grace of God the mount that I'm getting out of a junkyard will fit. First Q,there is a 1/4 or 3/8 line comming off of the old "spakle bucket" filter housing that goes to a fitting on the bottom of the block just above the pan rail,does this need to be pressurized or is it a drain back line? Also if the junkyard part doesn't fit ,is there an aftermarket housing or adapter that would work? any help would be appreciated Thanks Bill

:mack1: Hi. Re the oil filter. Don't know about the E motor, did it on my C motor.You got to get short shaft water pump housing & oil cooler and the pedestall & the spin on filter housing and also you must get the right gasket for the bottom housing as there is different gaskets for differen't applications. eg piston cooling ect. I changed my C motor over to get rid of the lubrefiner filter sitting on top of the motor. If you get the set up from a late 237 it should do it. You can't just put the pedestall & spin-on housing on as the pipes on the oil cooler don't match up. Might be right on the E motor though. The hole in the block is just a drain just put in a plug. Mc OZ.

McOZ,

Thanks for the info. I'm getting the entire set-up,filter housing,cooler,etc. from a 70's dm. My engine doesn't have a cooler so I had to go for it.I'll see about the water pump when I try to fit it together.Would I need to get the gasket for the old bottom plate or for the spin-on? Thanks for the help. Bill

:mack1: Re the oil filter set up. Just looked up the book and the E motor looks like it don't have an oil cooler. sorry abt the misleading. Just get the filter set up and make shure you get the right gasket. Haven't seen a E motor here in OZ. Regards Mark

I had that big oil filter on mine, you can take the parts from a 237-300 like Mc OZ said, make sure you get the right gasket, i put the wrong one in mine and the oil pressure didnt come up right away, with the spin on filters the oil pressure comes up alot faster. Ron

:mack1: LITrucker. Re the gasket . DONT QUOTE ME but the gasket you might need may be 590GB1298 as you are going from a by pass filter to a ESI 2 filters or ESI plus 3 filters. Also you may have to pull the sump off and check the pressure relief valve (on the oil pump). You may have 226GB121 cap. You will have to change the cap and spring to 226GB147 or 226GB122. It will prob be the 121 cap to limit the oil press for the by pass. You may have to change it to increase oil pressure to the filters. I know it goes round in circles as we found out years ago but some things cant be just bolted on,you have to change things in order to get the right oil pressure. Hope it don't confuse you. The water pump. Early ones pre-ESI were long shaft. Later were ESI short shaft. You might have to change ( the housing only) Regards Mark

McOz,

Thanks. Man, you're a wealth of information. I appreciate it. I've been a mechanic for 30 yrs and a rig mechanic for 12 of those ,mostly straight up repair work and maintanence but, I'm getting into uncharted lands trying to fix up my old Mack so feel free to be as technical as you want. I know I'm not through asking questions. I hope the junky and the Mack dealer are as helpful.Thanks again Bill