18spd Mack

Pedro

If you are trying to downshift, you shouldn't be using a Jake - you want to raise the RPM's, not lower them. Use the clutch to slip it out of the overdrive, raise the RPM's about 400 and if you hold the gear lightly against the direct gear, it will just slip in - clutch or no clutch. You can go from 3rd direct to 2nd over the same way - slip both sticks out, hold them with slight pressure against the target gears, raise the RPM's and both sticks will slip in (called split shifting). I have only driven the quad box in a B Mack, so my RPM range might be off for a Duplex. But the quad transmission would go from 1st under to 4th over shifting on RPM's only-no clutch.

Are you talking about just downshifting the splitter? Or do you mean going up to the next whole gear and down with the splitter (example 5 low to 6 high). If this is what you mean I was having problems too. I was trying to shift the splitter like a 2 speed rear end. I found an operation manual somewhere on the net and it said you are supposed to flip the splitter as the stick passes through neutral, not after you get into the next gear as with a 2 speed. Seems to work great this way.

Are you "pedro" from the ECLC site?

ok lets say that im going up on the gears and im in 6th gear before i go to 7th gear i hit the switch for the over drive and a half gear would jump in, then if i wanted to down shift the over drive i would hit the switch rev the motor a bit and it should go in, (and it does go in ) but it scrachs a bit, i have no problems up shifting, like i said before another guy i know with a 13spd does the same thing , im staring to think this is normal in these trans.

Yes this is Pedro form eclc

Whats the right way to down shift with the half gears (spliter) everytime i down shift the gear scratchs , i tried with the jake, with out jake and it scracths everytime, everyone i talk to tells me its normal but i had a kw with a 18spd fuller it never did that

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p239/ro...rontshot3-1.jpg

I can tell you from experience that the Fuller 13's & 18's are a lot easier shifting than the Mack 13's & 18's, (T2130 & T2180).

Once I got used to the T2130 or 2180, it was easy, just like anything else, but initially to compare the Fuller with the Mack trans., the Mack shifts harder.

The splitter on the 2130 & 2180 is less forgiving than on the Fullers, but it can be shifted without grinding.

One word of caution about the Mack T2130 & T2180 - ALWAYS pre select when making a range shift.

The Hi - Lo range shift setup in those transmissions (and the T2090 also) is the weak link and must not be abused.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

this is what i mean, this time it scratch a bit more because i wanted to show u guys what i ment because if i let the speed drop a little more the noise is a lot less but still there.

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p239/ro...rent=scrach.flv

You must simultaneously increase the RPM's when you flip the button down.

Don't flip the button down & wait a second to increase RPM's.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

th_shifting.jpg

going up the gears

You must simultaneously increase the RPM's when you flip the button down.

Don't flip the button down & wait a second to increase RPM's.

i tryed that already and its a little better but the grind is still there, its loud in the movie cause i wanted to show what i was talking about

The mack gearboxes I have driven that were air shift (6-7-9-12 speeds) many had a hard grind with the splitter button, harder than any fuller I have driven. Not shure why its so hard. With fullers I can flip the splitter button (foot not on the gas pedal) and it wont shift unless I tap the pedal to give the gear box some "slack" with macks if you flip that switch you need to be ready to match rpms to the gear selection. I thik the fullers have a more gentle shift? I have heard some fullers grind that hard but not often?

////I like the videos you put up. Noticed you had chrome bezels on your gauges. I do to. MY question is.....Are thoe pete style chrome vents and if so do they fit good. I used the pete style gauge bezels and some of them did not fit right. Thanks, Brad///

yes they r pete vents and they fit right on. the bezels on the other hand need to be worked on to fit(grind to fit)

///hey green dump were you working on the union paving job on 33 in neptune? and dumping concrete at manzo's in matawan?///

Yes that was me, i hate the concrete it beats the hell out of the truck

///never shifted gear on a 18, is that tranny similar to a 12 speed?///

First off i think the 12spd is the best trans ever put in a mack drove one for a while and loved it, the 18spd is like the 12 but with high and low

///i drive 1 every day and have found by just giveing the clutch a quick tap half way down while spliting down will solve this and you will be able to split down with out a peep///

I will try that but i must say i hate using the cluch i think im getting to lazy.

You may want to check with Mack. There have been some updates required for that trans. Not too long ago I did one for a customer that had a similar problem with a 18 speed in a CL700. There were changes to the range shift clutch pack and the air cyl. Mack will need your vin number and maybe the 11KBA number from the trans.

Chuck