What Is A Fuller "super 10"?

Rob

I've heard the term but have never seen one. What is different from a standard 10 speed?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

My RL797L has a TRDL 107 trans you split every gear. I really like this trans. Didn't know Fuller made a copy to the Mack style which I assume it is.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

i drove one in a pete,i didnt like it,but it had the electric gas pedal shut off,that only gave you like 1700 rpm,s so if you were on a slight grade,and shifting up from a traffic light,buy the time you let the gas off the truck would slow down too fast and wouldnt click into hi,,it was a pain in the ass,,would have been ok with a little more throttle,,,who the hell designs this rediculous stuff..bob

My RL797L has a TRDL 107 trans you split every gear. I really like this trans. Didn't know Fuller made a copy to the Mack style which I assume it is.

Rob

dont think they lasted long,,dont hear much about them,seems they were around from like late 80,s to early ninty,s.bob

i drove one in a pete,i didnt like it,but it had the electric gas pedal shut off,that only gave you like 1700 rpm,s so if you were on a slight grade,and shifting up from a traffic light,buy the time you let the gas off the truck would slow down too fast and wouldnt click into hi,,it was a pain in the ass,,would have been ok with a little more throttle,,,who the hell designs this rediculous stuff..bob

a worthless piece of junk

Maybe they thought it was faster than a camel.

Rob

I totally agree, I hated them too. First gear wasn't low enough, and they shifted way too slow, you had to wait on it. I drove a couple of Internationals that had them. We found that when taking off like you're talking about if you moved the button, then took the stick out of gear and put it back in they shifted ok, but that's still a pain in the ass.

It's about the same as having a 5 speed and 2 speed axle.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Here is what eaton said when they designed it. The driver will only have to move the stick half the times that a straight 10 will be shifted. There was no need in this trans but if you would shift it in neutral ever time it was a smooth trans. In stead most drivers did as eaton ask and that was shift the splitter while in gear. But the best way was to slid into neutral and then split it was so smooth.I have been in alot of them and when they first came out. The second gear had a update and it had a wider gear installed.They were ok for a 2100 rpm engine.The real reason i think was they could with a 60S engine make a top 2 out of them. The engine ecm would if programed to do so, shift the top two gears back and forth by the ecm. No matter were you gas petdal was it would shift and set the gas pedtal back were it need be by its self.Down shift and up shift for 9 and 10 gear.Most guys did not like that and had that deleted in the ecm.

glenn akers

I totally agree, I hated them too. First gear wasn't low enough, and they shifted way too slow, you had to wait on it. I drove a couple of Internationals that had them. We found that when taking off like you're talking about if you moved the button, then took the stick out of gear and put it back in they shifted ok, but that's still a pain in the ass.

It's about the same as having a 5 speed and 2 speed axle.

oh ya,,,those 2 speed axles were also a nightmare,,half the time they wouldnt go in,,oh by the way welcome back bill,,do you get any extra time off?

oh ya,,,those 2 speed axles were also a nightmare,,half the time they wouldnt go in,,oh by the way welcome back bill,,do you get any extra time off?

I always like an air shift two speed rear. They were fast and sure. An electric I didn't like quite so well cause they were sloppy.

Rob

Here is what eaton said when they designed it. The driver will only have to move the stick half the times that a straight 10 will be shifted. There was no need in this trans but if you would shift it in neutral ever time it was a smooth trans. In stead most drivers did as eaton ask and that was shift the splitter while in gear. But the best way was to slid into neutral and then split it was so smooth.I have been in alot of them and when they first came out. The second gear had a update and it had a wider gear installed.They were ok for a 2100 rpm engine.The real reason i think was they could with a 60S engine make a top 2 out of them. The engine ecm would if programed to do so, shift the top two gears back and forth by the ecm. No matter were you gas petdal was it would shift and set the gas pedtal back were it need be by its self.Down shift and up shift for 9 and 10 gear.Most guys did not like that and had that deleted in the ecm.

well i think the bottom line is once a guy gets used to a straight fuller ten,,they are like walking backwards,,thier kind of fun,but have to pay attention at all times,,soon as start daydreaming,or talkin on the cb,automaticly start grinding gears

A guy who ran bullracks with me had one in his KW and I remember when he wanted the HP turned up to 525 they told him the transmission wasnt rated for that much power. Dont know where it was set at before he had the hp turned up. Seemed like a pointless tranny to put in a truck with a high hp engine to me.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

A guy who ran bullracks with me had one in his KW and I remember when he wanted the HP turned up to 525 they told him the transmission wasnt rated for that much power. Dont know where it was set at before he had the hp turned up. Seemed like a pointless tranny to put in a truck with a high hp engine to me.

They are like all other trans some models are for smaller torque and others for higher torque. The most common one was RTLO16710. Its good for most all 470 DD and larger cats.Go for 1650 ft/lbs

glenn akers

Rob, Shifts like a Mack UniShift From the 50's an early 60's

BULLHUSK

That was a good smooth transmission if taken care of. One of my B models had one but it's long gone. Still have the cylinder and linkage for it someplace. I purchased/acquired the truck minus the trans and installed a double over triplex.

Rob

well i think the bottom line is once a guy gets used to a straight fuller ten,,they are like walking backwards,,thier kind of fun,but have to pay attention at all times,,soon as start daydreaming,or talkin on the cb,automaticly start grinding gears

I always considered a 10 speed roadranger the easiest and simplest transmission out there. A driver that's too lazy to shift one oughta be doing something else anyway, just my opinion.

Kinda sounds like "we're gonna make this super 10 for drivers that are too lazy to shift a regular 10 speed-maybe they can find the energy to flip a button"

They are like all other trans some models are for smaller torque and others for higher torque. The most common one was RTLO16710. Its good for most all 470 DD and larger cats.Go for 1650 ft/lbs

The IH's I drove both had N14 460 Cummins engines turned up to 500 hp. Don't remember the torque rating, but it was probably 1550.

I always considered a 10 speed roadranger the easiest and simplest transmission out there. A driver that's too lazy to shift one oughta be doing something else anyway, just my opinion.

Kinda sounds like "we're gonna make this super 10 for drivers that are too lazy to shift a regular 10 speed-maybe they can find the energy to flip a button"

It was a another selling point to fleets by eaton.

glenn akers

That was a good smooth transmission if taken care of. One of my B models had one but it's long gone. Still have the cylinder and linkage for it someplace. I purchased/acquired the truck minus the trans and installed a double over triplex.

Rob

oh man,,,i forgot about that thing,,,, had one in an f model,,it was also a piece a shit,air shift,it would hang up in nuetral,especialy when it was cold,i even tryed rebuilding the clylinder,still did it,lol boat,,anchor baby...bob