Somebody Is Having Worse Day Than You!

Barry

Ouch!

2005 Granite...looks like it dropped a valve and hell broke loose! The rod punched a hole through both sides of the block!

Good news is...the owner still has warranty coverage!

post-2-1167421813_thumb.jpg

post-2-1167421841_thumb.jpg

post-2-1167421873_thumb.jpg

post-2-1167421896_thumb.jpg

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Not sure yet...we haven't even taken the valve covers off. Customer needs the truck fast so the main priority is getting the remaned basic engine put together and dropped in. We'll disect the core later.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

We had a '93 CH 613 with a 400 do that back in '98. It was coming of the highway into town on a downhill off-ramp. So I'm thinking it was an engine overspeed caused by an early downshift. We hooked on to it right away & got it to the yard before the air pressure ran down. Then used another truck's wet kick to dump the end-dump, dropped the trailer, and pulled it out of the way.

Had to get a used donor motor out of Texas. The independant mechanic we had do the work said that it was the cleanest engine swap he'd ever done. He was used to working on WAY older stuff...mostly Jimmy diesels - in farm trucks. he was plenty familiar with Mack's, as he had worked for years for an oilfeild trucking company, but this was his first experience with an electronis engine....piece of cake, he said. Took him 3 days...but he was all by himself, I figure, he did damn good. He swapped out the turbo and feul pump, cause we knoew what we had there.

Just got done with a FORD L-9000 with a hole on both sides of the block also, and the bolts backed out of the rod cap. Very nasty mess! :wacko:

:o

Different ballgame,but my Dad broke a smallblock Chevy so bad it broke the manifolds and cracked the carb base. All the mechanic could save off it was the air filter and the fuel pump. It was in a 1969 four wheel drive and let go at about 95 miles per hour coming home from Salt Lake City one night. (Nevada had an open speed limit back then,and he typically drove at that speed on open road.) Dad said the engine suddenly just went quiet and the truck coasted down to a stop. He thought it had broken the input shaft,and out of curiosity tried to start the engine again. the starter spun,but nothing turned. (Actually it was turning the flywheel and about the last 3 inches of the crank.) Coincidentally,that night the mobile phone's repeater site lost power,too,so when he tried to call for a wrecker,the phone wouldn't work either. He was wondering how these two things could be related. Wierd night. :idunno: You guys have him beat cost-wise though! Glad I didn't have to pay these repair bills!! :D

Speed

:bmod_trac:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

When I was still towing, a customer sent me to do a tractor swap. I dropped and hooked and the driver told me the truck made a big "bang" and quit running. Then I seen a hole in the hood from the inside out, so curiosity got the best of me and I tipped the hood and was able to look thru the block from right side to left at #1. Don't know what caused it, but the #1 pistion in that Cummins exploded and blew a fist size hole in each side of the block and a smaller hole below the large one on the right side. There was a total of 4 holes in the hood where shrapnel from the engine blew thru it. Glad it wasn't #6 or some of it might have gone thru the drivers leg (truck was an IHC S series).

I bought my motorhome because the engine locked up on the owner and he had called me to tow him. He said he had just rebuilt the 400 (Chevy) and this was the 1st trip. He decided he didn't want to take it home so I bought it for 500.00 (and gave him is tow bill back). When my friend, Shawn, and I pulled the engine, the freeze plug next to #8 was missing, we pulled the pan and found #8 rod in #7 hole with #7. Shawn grabbed his 3/8 drive impact and could not break the rod bolts loose, it took a 1/2 drive impact to break the entire inside of the engine loose. Perhaps they used a faulty torque wrench????? We built a 383 stroker for the camper with about 380hp and around 425 lbs/ft torque and it still gets about 9mpg at 65mph with the TH400. I have a 4speed for it, but I am still considering a 2 speed overdrive for it instead. That would give me 6 gears if I need them and maybe get mpg up around 13 or so.