Interesting New Trucks

The Super-Liner concept above being developed by Brockway would have been introduced in 1978. However due to labor unrest and other issues, Mack elected to close Brockway in the summer of 1977. With the economy down at the time, a small truckmaker like Brockway struggled. Also, greater government regulation resulted in challenging higher R&D costs for Brockway (i.e. FMVSS121 anti-lock brakes).

Brockway was the definitive east coast truck. They built a heavy truck. The Super-Liner concept was an attempt to enter the lighter west-coast market, but a quick look at this prototype's heavy front spoke wheels shows this was no more a west coast truck than the Diamond Reo Raider.

Mack took over the Super-Liner design concept and evolved it into a true lightweight west coast truck.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like the stainless filler panels on the Titan but in the photo they look like they need a little better alignment under the cab? I think I can see a gap at the rear? Is this panel not attached to the cab and rigid frame mounted?

Rob

I was lucky enough to have a good look at this Titan sleeper at the plant open house 2012. The stainless panels are attached to the bottom of the sleeper and are huge. The sleeper is ridgid mounted to the cab and is on the same air ride suspension. It seemed like a decent effort was made to make due with what they had. Hopefully there will be more fit and finish improvments down the road. It was evident that they are using the same sleeper for the Granite as the are the Titan thus the need for the huge panels. Its a shame. there is a huge open gap on the back side of the bunk. The gap between the frame rails and the bottom of the sleeper is over a foot. It would have been nice to see that wasted space turned into a storage compartment. With all the emission toys being mounted on the frame rails and backs of cabs, storage space on heavy hauling trucks is become hard to find. I find it funny that years ago we spoke to a gentleman from Mack Canada marketing years ago about mounting sleepers on the Titans from factory. Only to be told there isnt enough of a market for them. Guess Western Star, Kenworth and the others have been doing it wrong all these years. Hope they start offering some bigger sleepers soon. You know, strech the under cab framing and drill some more holes in the frame further back....."real" engineering issues. Good to see Mack listening to their bread and butter.

Iraq 30 ton wrecker.

post-334-0-49081200-1311470668_thumb.jpg

now you know that the US paid for those trucks, sent them to TN to get wrecker bodies then gave them to IQ when I was there they had internationals and we were supposed to get international maxxpro mrap wreckers, thy never came they went to Afghanistan instead so we were stuck with the old shit.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 4 weeks later...

All these are quite interesting trucks. I think all these trucks will give lots of benefits like cost less, you can afford to upgrade, eliminate unnecessary extras, will have less depreciation, lower operating costs and the registration sales tax.

• 3 weeks later...

JB Hunt bought 70 CXU's. Roof fairing will be installed after delivery, These are the first Mack's I've ever seen them have, most are International or Freightliners.

post-334-0-11128500-1358733920_thumb.jpg

Coca Cola also bought some CXU's. I'll have to see if I can find any pictures.

• Like 1

Seems like the CXU is keeping everything afloat. It 's good competition for Shacker and Navistar. Now they need to upgrade the CHU to Superliner and add (MP-10 and Cummns) to compete with Paccar. Navistar was on the ropes and moved quickly to Cummins. Need to upgrade the Granite to compete with the T-800. If we got a coalition of Watts Mackers together I think we could run Mack better than Volvo although we could use their deep pockets. Modernize the MB. Modify the MB to include a front discharge mixer. Expand the application of the class seven Mack. Hello its not selling. Put a big sleeper on the Titan. Change the the Titan hood to a Superliner or Tridant. :twothumbsup:

Why does the granite need to be upgraded to compete with the t800? I know around here the big reason for going to the t800 from the Mack was more interior room and comfort than an R and more power than a Granite. Now with the MP8 you can get a 505hp Granite and its in a 13 liter not a ISX15 Cummins so it weighs about 400lbs less and the interior is plenty roomy now with the +3 Granite cab. I think they drove off so many customers with the earlier issues people are scared to come back but if they do they'll be back for good, the MP8 runs quite a bit better than the Aset engines and the set forward Granite rides a lot better than an old R.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Superdog. I agree with you with the Granite VS T 800. However here in Ct it seems that Mack just can't

make much headway into Paccar domination. Gateway/Tilcon/O&G/Rawson/American/Suzio. I guess we will see what happens when the Paccars get to the end of there life cycle. I am sure they will not have second lives the way the old Macks had.

Superdog. I agree with you with the Granite VS T 800. However here in Ct it seems that Mack just can't make much headway into Paccar domination. Gateway/Tilcon/O&G/Rawson/American/Suzio. I guess we will see what happens when the Paccars get to the end of there life cycle. I am sure they will not have second lives the way the old Macks had.

I think a lot of it in CT also has to do with our dealer here since a lot of people go to Mass to get there parts. Aslo, Gateway never really had a lot of Macks but mostly Peterbuilts they only had a R700, DM800 and they still run a R-model to pull their lowboy

Matt

Superdog. I agree with you with the Granite VS T 800. However here in Ct it seems that Mack just can'tmake much headway into Paccar domination. Gateway/Tilcon/O&G/Rawson/American/Suzio. I guess we will see what happens when the Paccars get to the end of there life cycle. I am sure they will not have second lives the way the old Macks had.

I understand the same thing is happening here, companies that went to KW, PETE, Freight liner are reluctant to go back. It is happening now that Mack has some new trucks in the field, several companies that made a switch are making some Mack purchases and those that have in the last couple years are making more Mack orders since they have tried out the newer trucks. I think a lot of people kinda felt let down when the Aset engines came out and didn't run for shit, so they are slowly doing research and trying the waters but not making any commitments.

Please let me know when this year's Pitt Ohio order starts coming down the line. I have my fingers crossed that I'll be staring at a bulldog's butt this summer.

We're currently building an order of 85 CXU's for Pitt Ohio.

What is the theory behind a tri drive? Why not just a tri axle with a lift? Wish business was better so we could pick up a tri axle Titan rawhide with a 605 in it. Would be sweet as hell!

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

"Old Macks never die, just get new generations of drivers"