86x, 998, E9

ThaddeusW

Ok trying to sort out the V8's. First off the 86x series were the first of the V8's starting with the 864. If I got this down the 864 was offered in a 250hp or there abouts non turbo and a twin turbo model at up to 325 HP and it was hooked to a triplex/quad box. What year was it introduced (60's?) Was the dynatard introduced with this engine or the 865/866?

The 865 was a turboed V8 that produced 325hp and was a wide torque band so it was hooked to a 5/6 speed. The 866 was similar to the 865 but it produced 375hp (any of them aftercooled?) Also what years did they come out?

Now the 998cid was the new v8 that came toward the end of the 70's or early 80's and was the predecessor to the E9 correct? It was air-air aftercooled and had a horse power range of 400-440/450. was the 998 the same as the E9? Or, is the E9 the 1000cid that was the successor to the 998? Also the E9's lowest horspower was 440 and went to 500 or did it go from 400-500? I know down under they cranked it up to 610hp and 2050ft/lbs.

Thanks for the help.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 1 year later...

The first v8 i think came out in 63 and then the twinturbo was maybe 66 but the Tulsa dealer got one of the first two or maybe they got the first two that was to be had and sold one of then local and dont remember about the other one. That was a big horse in its time.

glenn akers