What Happened To Pelletier's Titans?

Go to solution Solved by 2010 Titan,

I do have a couple pics of her. I have to figure out how to get them on here. When I demoed the truck the moose bumper was still on. Cat took it off and replaced it with a stock bumper without a tow hook, not good in the woods... unfortunately I am probably going to remove the Pelletier headboard as well. I love it, but it is very heavy. This is by far the most rugged truck I have ever driven, that is still comfortable to drive! It is extremely quite, the powerleash brake is incredible, even with the hendrickson suspension it still rides good. They seem to have made a lot of improvement in air ride cab technology.

• Like 1

As I said before, this truck certainly was worked hard by pelletiers. Yes it has a patch on the oil pan, I spotted it the other day. If it hasn't been rolled, it's been damn close... but none of that scared me, it was built to run hard. Even after 105,000 miles of torment on the golden road, she is still tight. The emissions equipment scares me more than the work she has done.

• Like 1

I did my best to get some background on this Titan. I called Pelletier's fabrication shop and they gave me Jeff's cell phone number. He was very helpful, we had a good conversation and after that we bought it. They had traded the Titan in to Milton Cat for a Cat truck. Milton Cat brought it from the Brewer shop to the Contoocook shop for us. After a day or so of demo and speaking to Jeff, we bought it. Price was right. I think the low gears scared a lot of people off. However I have been working with my salesman from Mcdevitt Mack (who has been awesome! Even though we didn't buy it from them! ) to figure out what would be a good ratio for our application. 4:10 appears to be right, so we will exchange them. :)

• Like 1

They run a bunch of older Macks still, my take from it all was Mack did not make a good heavy truck so they looked elsewhere for newer equipment and Western Star makes custom spec trucks, Mack got out of that for awhile and when the made the Titans was to get back into that market, can you get a titian yet with a sleeper?

Check out right around 1:55 there is an older Dog running behind the Western Star, also 2:19, 2:50, I like 4:22 (that's funny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_u_rA4WLR4

Don't blame the Pelletiers for going with Western Stars, that finger should go to Mack

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

They run a bunch of older Macks still, my take from it all was Mack did not make a good heavy truck so they looked elsewhere for newer equipment and Western Star makes custom spec trucks, Mack got out of that for awhile and when the made the Titans was to get back into that market, can you get a titian yet with a sleeper?

Check out right around 1:55 there is an older Dog running behind the Western Star, also 2:19, 2:50, I like 4:22 (that's funny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_u_rA4WLR4

Don't blame the Pelletiers for going with Western Stars, that finger should go to Mack

Been saying this for a long time. Mack is there own worst enemy when it comes to custom stuff. I was told take it or leave it. So I went to Kw and bought the Pete. Spec'd more to what I want.

MP10-555M Maxidyne?

Putting the legendary Maxidyne name on a Swedish Volvo D16 is quite a stretch. Unless the engine was designed by Mack Trucks engineers, it isn't a Maxidyne.

The high-torque rise Maxidyne engine of course revolutionized the truck industry by allowing the use of a 5-speed transmission for on-highway operation (6-speed for vocational). But today, Volvo doesn't even produce a 5-speed Maxitorque transmission.

Anyone else notice the dumbing-down of the Mack website? No more truck and component spec sheets. Specifications, why would the customer want to know? This is the Volvo way my friends, putting out as little information as possible.

MP10-555M Maxidyne?

Putting the legendary Maxidyne name on a Swedish Volvo D16 is quite a stretch. Unless the engine was designed by Mack Trucks engineers, it isn't a Maxidyne.

The high-torque rise Maxidyne engine of course revolutionized the truck industry by allowing the use of a 5-speed transmission for on-highway operation (6-speed for vocational). But today, Volvo doesn't even produce a 5-speed Maxitorque transmission.

Anyone else notice the dumbing-down of the Mack website? No more truck and component spec sheets. Specifications, why would the customer want to know? This is the Volvo way my friends, putting out as little information as possible.

:clap:

Matt

I agree mack is their own worst enemy, i know a guy who ran a ch otr and went to spec and buy a new mack. Went in and wanted like 3.70's on 40's they said no problim any rear set up you want, 18spd, they said no problim any trans you want, he wanted a cummins they said no mp is all thats available. He said but its the same frame as a volvo and it comes with a cummins correct. Thay said yes volvo's come with cummins but mackdoes not. So he thanked the salesmen, left and went and bought a paccar. Makes no sence why custom ordered trucks are outta the question? I can understand if someone wanted one truck that was speced out very odd but to narrow the trucks options to a very short list, is a great way to lose sales and drive customers away

I agree mack is their own worst enemy, i know a guy who ran a ch otr and went to spec and buy a new mack. Went in and wanted like 3.70's on 40's they said no problim any rear set up you want, 18spd, they said no problim any trans you want, he wanted a cummins they said no mp is all thats available. He said but its the same frame as a volvo and it comes with a cummins correct. Thay said yes volvo's come with cummins but mackdoes not. So he thanked the salesmen, left and went and bought a paccar. Makes no sence why custom ordered trucks are outta the question? I can understand if someone wanted one truck that was speced out very odd but to narrow the trucks options to a very short list, is a great way to lose sales and drive customers away

Indeed, in the days of Mack Trucks, vendor power was available to meet the demands of all customers.

Ninety percent of Ryder's Macks were powered by Cummins engines (Give the man what he wants). Air Products placed a large order for Silver 6V-92s.

Vendor engines included Allis-Chalmers, Buda, Caterpillar, Chrysler, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Hall-Scott, Hercules, LeRoi, Scania (formerly Scania-Vabis) and Waukesha.

Specs are still there, just not in "sheet" form. It's in a tab and sub-tab form. Seems to contain the same info they used to put on the sheets from what I can tell.

Specs are still there, just not in "sheet" form. It's in a tab and sub-tab form. Seems to contain the same info they used to put on the sheets from what I can tell.

No, not really. Those familiar with the former Mack spec sheets can tell you that the minimalist information now shown on the website is far from what the industry standard spec sheets had. This minimalist information direction is signature Volvo.

I now have the #91. It's in NH hauling logs and chips. She is a freight train! She was definitely worked hard by Pelletiers, but still in good shape. As far as I know, the other one was #94 and was wrecked. She has 5:38 rears and I am changing to 4:10. In my opinion Mack did a really good job building the Titan.

thats great, we have 2 titans and just ordered the third one last week. im pleased to say this one i will be driving. they are awesome trucks. im glad you like your ex pelletier truck. mine is being built in january 2014 i will not get to drive it until april or may as putting together a new log truck in january in vermont would not work to good . i am very excited :)

MP10-555M Maxidyne?

im not the one that put the maxidyne label on it. also i dont think the 5 spd maxitorque would sell very well anymore back in the day it was a good transmission but this isnt 1970 anymore .

No, not really. Those familiar with the former Mack spec sheets can tell you that the minimalist information now shown on the website is far from what the industry standard spec sheets had. This minimalist information direction is signature Volvo.

Ahh ok. I'm only familiar with the ones that were on there from the previous website design, so I only had those to compare too.

I hear you. But thinking of on-road LTL operators, and the falling availability of skilled truckdrivers, the application for the bullet-proof Maxidyne-Maxitorque 5-speed concept remains bright.

Mack actually built a few Pinnacle demo trucks around 2008/2009 with the Maxitourqe 6 speed for companies to test out, as I remember reading the articles about them. I guess the promoting didn't help as shortly after that the 6 speed was dropped from the line. It must have been their last stitch effort to see if anyone was still interested in that type of trans.

Ahh ok. I'm only familiar with the ones that were on there from the previous website design, so I only had those to compare too.

Mack actually built a few Pinnacle demo trucks around 2008/2009 with the Maxitourqe 6 speed for companies to test out, as I remember reading the articles about them. I guess the promoting didn't help as shortly after that the 6 speed was dropped from the line. It must have been their last stitch effort to see if anyone was still interested in that type of trans.

Instead of improving on it and offering a 400hp maxidyne / maxitorque 6 speed combo they push their non servicable mechanical marvel M-drive. Just as in the late 60's and 70's it is beyond a lot of fleet drivers to shift a range shifted transmission properly. A modern straight 6 speed Maxitorque behind a real Maxidyne has a valid place in todays market if it was marketed correctly.

When was the last time you saw a Mack city tractor? Another market segment they have walked away from?

You have an extremely good point and one that I brought up previously when mentioning the Australian Metro-Liner tractor.

Given the popularity of short-nosed day cab tractors for regional LTL and local delivery, it’s a mystery why the Mack Metro-Liner tractor isn’t offered in America. We see the equivalent short hood Volvo VNM daycab on a daily basis. Is the reason because Volvo Group doesn’t want their Mack brand to steal market share from the one Volvo model that has any meaningful sales numbers?

While the Pinnacle has a 117.3” (2,979mm) BBC, the Metro-Liner has a 105.1” (2,670mm) BBC, superior to the Volvo VNM’s 113” (2,870mm) BBC for enhanced maneuverability in around town delivery and on the job site.

Both trucks use the Volvo VN series frame (rebadged as Mack “Advantage”). However, while the 113” BBC Volvo VNM daycab is available with the Volvo D11 (MP7) and D13 (MP8), the 105” BBC Metro-Liner is only offered with the Cummins ISL. Essentially sharing the same frame, certainly the Metro-Liner could also be fitted with the Volvo D11 as the VNM is.

Volvo made a haphazard attempt at selling the vocational version of the Metro-Liner in America years ago, but it was such a poorly planned execution that most people don’t know. With the success of “baby 8s” in the vocational market and the need for such a truck to meet municipal bids (the mismatched Granite medium heavy-duty isn’t selling), one once again wonders why the Metro-Liner hasn’t been launched into the U.S. market and promoted with the same vigor as the Pinnacle and Granite.

Because that would be the smart thing to do and would make sence. Just like after volvo aquired autocar you stopped seeing the classic dc/dk style trucks and just the volvo with a-car badges

VOLVO SUCKS!!! Every time I see one of these new CO A-Cars it just pisssssssses me off!! Say what ya want but at least the Germans let F-Liner and W-Star live on!! Not like the Sweeds'Our vay is da better vay' And you are right! The first thing they did was take the DK an DC out! When I was at Mack a couple a weeks ago the salesman was tryinto tell me thet the new Mack motor was a joint eng. build between them and us! Well it sure don't look that way to me? But maybe I'm wrong and if I am then I stand to be corrected!

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

VOLVO SUCKS!!! Every time I see one of these new CO A-Cars it just pisssssssses me off!! Say what ya want but at least the Germans let F-Liner and W-Star live on!! Not like the Sweeds'Our vay is da better vay' And you are right! The first thing they did was take the DK an DC out! When I was at Mack a couple a weeks ago the salesman was tryinto tell me thet the new Mack motor was a joint eng. build between them and us! Well it sure don't look that way to me? But maybe I'm wrong and if I am then I stand to be corrected!

BULLHUSK

The company that build Autocar Xpeditors (in Hagerstown, Indiana), Autocar LLC, is owned by a private investment and holding company outside Chicago (Highland Park) called GVW Group that is headed by South African.

It's an embarassment to the Autocar name to be on the grille of a White Xpeditor.

Interestingly, GVW was able to convince Bendix to produce the White Xpeditor cabs for them (in Huntington, Indiana). Bendix had never produced truck cabs before. I believe Orrville has been the cab supplier.

When Volvo wanted to buy Mack, the US government wouldn't allow Volvo to own both the Mack MR and the White Xpeditor, and have a monopoly on the US refuse market. Volvo then agreed to sell the Xpeditor model to GVW Group (Grand Vehicle Works Holdings LLC).

Fleet Owner / July 26, 2001

Volvo agrees to sell Xpeditor

To comply with a deal it entered into with the U.S. Dept. of Justice when it acquired Renault VI and Mack Trucks Inc. in December 2000, Volvo Trucks North America Inc. said today it will sell its Xpeditor truck product line to Grand Vehicle Works Holdings LLC.

The agreement involves the assembly and sale of low cab-over-engine (LCOE) heavy-duty Class 8 trucks and unique aftermarket parts. As part of the deal, Volvo will license the Autocar truck brand name to Autocar LLC, a newly formed subsidiary of Grand Vehicle Works Holdings, which will use it to market the LCOE products. The trucks included in the deal are the Xpeditor models WX and WXLL.

In addition to the license for the Autocar brand name, the terms of the agreement include model-specific designs, tooling and other assets, including component tooling located at supplier facilities. Upon completion of the sales transaction, there will be an up to 24-month transition period during which Volvo will continue to assemble LCOEs for Grand Vehicle Works Holdings on a contract basis.

The Class 8 LCOE segment represents less than 3% of the total heavy truck market in North America, and 8% of Volvo Trucks North America's sales. This divestiture will not materially impact the volume or production capabilities of Volvo's New River Valley, VA truck assembly facility. According to the OEM, no layoffs will result directly from the closing of the transaction.

• 1 month later...

I hear you. But thinking of on-road LTL operators, and the falling availability of skilled truckdrivers, the application for the bullet-proof Maxidyne-Maxitorque 5-speed concept remains bright.

I agree. There are still quite a few ltl Macks here in central NY. Teals, R+L, and Duie Pyle come to mind. NEMF too. As for the rest Internationals with DT-Allison seems to be the new norm in ltl.