I Think I Might Be Having Egr Issues

Sorry to dig up a older thread but, Would excessive soot in the cooler cause it to crack? Im having this coolant pressure problem and I'm leaning towards all the crap that's built up in the cooler building up pressure and put a crack into the case which is now pressurizing the coolant.

Hi there. Has your vehicle been updated with the new cooling system package that Mack has come out with?

They updated the thermostat housing along with the thermostats and coolant piping. The thermostats are 180 and 185 degf. They also went with a one peice 16lbs coolant revovery bottle made of aluminium. Back in 2004 they had alot of issues with the plastic then steel tanks leaking. Also you may have a water pump causing this issue. The static seal behind the weep hole may be drawing in air. Take off the water pump and put it inside a pail of water so its completely submerged. Get a rubber tipped blower and blow a small amount of air into the weep hole. If you see air bubbles in the pail of water, then you have a bad water pump. An internal crack in the egr cooler can cause the coolant to be presurized. Also if your engine has overheated for any reason there lies a possibility that you may have damaged the egr cooler. As long as the egr cooler has good coolant flow the cooler should be o/k. A cooler blocked with soot should only give you egr fault codes. Hopefully a simple rad cap may be your problem.

Regards

vmac2

• 7 years later...

Hi I 2008 mack mp8 with 650000 having  problems with  regen issues  have no fault codes active for engine . Have new vgt actuator new egr valve  check  7th injector  is flow test found  at 8lpm checked the diff pressure  sensor  check port found ok . Check the intake manifold  pressure  sensor found  ok boost pressure sensor  found  ok. I perform regen on process the engine  is start to surging at 12000 rpm the exhaust  temp 1 is 300 temp 2 250 temp 3 220 any idea  what this wrong