coming out of utah east on hwy 80, not to heavy about 70,000

noticed i was down on power.

oil temp 225

boost around 23 psi, sometimes 25

hills i usually pull 40 mph in 10th gear, im pulling 30 mph in 8th

no matter how hard i tried, i could not get oil temp to come down

taking my time, trying to get to ky.

stayed in big springs,ne.

next 375 miles were flat and i was saving fuel, so i didnt notice anything wrong.

stopped rite at mo.state line, truck was ideling so rough i was thinking tow.

i was thinking camshaft????? then it cleared up a little.

i took off south on hwy 29 rollercoaster, run up to 68 mph and hit cruse, it was pulling like it should

oil temp 200

boost 33 psi

with the cruse off or on it ran perfectly.......????????????!!!!!!!!!!pullin like it was pissed off

coming out of utah east on hwy 80, not to heavy about 70,000

noticed i was down on power.

oil temp 225

boost around 23 psi, sometimes 25

hills i usually pull 40 mph in 10th gear, im pulling 30 mph in 8th

no matter how hard i tried, i could not get oil temp to come down

taking my time, trying to get to ky.

stayed in big springs,ne.

next 375 miles were flat and i was saving fuel, so i didnt notice anything wrong.

stopped rite at mo.state line, truck was ideling so rough i was thinking tow.

i was thinking camshaft????? then it cleared up a little.

i took off south on hwy 29 rollercoaster, run up to 68 mph and hit cruse, it was pulling like it should

oil temp 200

boost 33 psi

with the cruse off or on it ran perfectly.......????????????!!!!!!!!!!pullin like it was pissed off

Chuck!

Did it throw any codes?

If not the egr valve can cause stuff like that with no codes

Also the VGT can stick !Usually with a code thou.

Try lubing the little lever on the turbo with some Penetrating oil see if that helps!

Next time your by the shop have 68 stroke out the turbo to make sure its calibrated or holding it's calibration.

i don't know if idling afects the egr system????????

im to stubbern to haul cheap freight so it is not uncommon for the truck to idle 4 or 5 days some times 8 or 10 days.

it gets 3.8 hrs. per gallon. and everyone i know with a APU burn just as much fuel and they are always broken.

they spend thousands every year trying to keep their apu running half the time..

i was having a/c issues last fall schraeder valve leaking, i let it go till a few weeks ago.

i notice now the fan runs continuios wen the a/c is on.

it hurts the boost 5 to 7 psi. i never noticed it before????

with a/c turned off everything is fine???????????????

high oil temp????? i just cleand the screen 10,000 miles ago.small leaks(hose clamps) and a hose. hve resuled in a complete coolant change 4 times in the last 100,000 miles.

if mackpro reads this i need shocks for steer axle, ride hight valve drives, egr. cooler cleaned.

what do you think about a egr emergencey kit???????

a U shaped pipe to bypass the coolant, and a block plate for the egr????????? maybe get me in without a tow?????????

i was having a/c issues last fall schraeder valve leaking, i let it go till a few weeks ago.

high oil temp????? i just cleand the screen 10,000 miles ago.small leaks(hose clamps) and a hose. hve resuled in a complete coolant change 4 times in the last 100,000 miles.

if mackpro reads this i need shocks for steer axle, ride hight valve drives, egr. cooler cleaned.

a U shaped pipe to bypass the coolant, and a block plate for the egr????????? maybe get me in without a tow?????????

We just cork off the egr cooler lines in a pinch no need to recirculate.

We had some of the parts rest will be here in the AM. As long as its not blowing coolant out, leave the EGR coolant hoses hooked up. I wonder if you just unplug the EGR valve connector if it would derate the engine? Come to think of it I never tried it!

We just cork off the egr cooler lines in a pinch no need to recirculate.

so if i carry plugs to cork off the lines, would i still need to block the egr?????????????

it is not uncommon for me to be 1,200 miles away from a mack shop.

i was thinking for the cost of coolant, mabe save the mass flow tube and get me in....

We had some of the parts rest will be here in the AM. As long as its not blowing coolant out, leave the EGR coolant hoses hooked up. I wonder if you just unplug the EGR valve connector if it would derate the engine? Come to think of it I never tried it!

Idk if this will work or not but when I drove a Coronado with a detroit the egr screwed up and the charge air had a hole in it. go figure maiden voyage. Bobtail ran great. somehow or another I don't remember what happened but I ran it wide open for about a min or so and the check engine light would start to flicker then come on. when it stayed solid it ran great. ran good enough to get the truck back and let fliner fix it. Now mind you the truck was in gear. Everytime I had to shut it off when I would start it I had to run the hell out of it 3 to 5 mins then the light would come on and off we'd go

Mack says restricting coolant flow through the EGR cooler will cause it to overheat and crack (assuming the EGR valve isn't blocked off too), haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure.

Not to get off topic, but has anyone heard from JerryB?

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Mack says restricting coolant flow through the EGR cooler will cause it to overheat and crack (assuming the EGR valve isn't blocked off too), haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure.

Not to get off topic, but has anyone heard from JerryB?

i talked to him rite before christmas. he said he had to go in for gaul blader surgery.

about a month ago i called his cell phone, it belongs to someone else now.

called home phone left message, never got a return...

hope hes okay........

Your EGR block off plate is ready if you want to try it.

i was thinkin, if i carried the plate and plugs for coolant, if the egr cooler cracks while im out west i could bypass and make it in.

im thinking worst case senareo, tow 5 grand,egr cooler 3 grand, mas flow tube 13 hunert, then it taking 3 weeks to get the parts and get it done. then limping back to mackpro for completion.

i don't want no valva peckerheads in reno messin with my mack.

Toughbook not included but will let it go for 4K and thats with our lovely Mack Preimum Tech Tool/VCADS installed and you know how good that is!

Yup you'll have to knock grand of of the price with that program on there It devalues the real estate .

Hey, I have a 06 CHN613 also, Im thinking I need to clean out my egr cooler. Im having some boost issues and thats the only thing I havent checked yet. I replaced it about a yr and half ago, but the truck idles alot (lots of freight in NYC) Whats the best way to clean it out, and is there a way to get the rest of the carbon out of the rest of the system? Do I need to remove the egr or anything? Mack just wants to replace parts,not repair. I seem to have a problem every other day..Same as bigen, Ill be about 70,000 driving on flat surface and get about 35lbs of boost for a little while, then suddenly drops right down to 20-25 lbs and sounds like restriction,or a leak (tested for leaks and found none). Then all of a sudden ill get boost back and itll pull like a raped ape. The other thing I noticed was the other day I was pulling some decent hills,and i was boosting at and holding about 40lbs but got nervous and lifted so it would drop down to 35. Im at my wits end with this truck...I cant find any decent mechanics in my area (nyc) that have any idea of how to work on this truck including the dealers. I run betweeen ME and WV. I cant figure this out,and the truck has officially bankrupt me with everything Ive spent so far chaseing this problem. What ever you guys can suggest would be GREATLY APRECIATED! I can turn a wrench,but im not a mechanic. If I cant figure it out......

2006 Mack CHN613 FOR SALE,331,000 MILES. E7,eaton 10spd,new air bags,new shocks all around,new virgin drives and new steers. New intercooler,new clutch,new clutch fan,new belts,new front and rear drums and shoes,new coolant hoses.egr cooler replaced a year ago,Just pm serviced today,(every 10k)new cab mounts,new tourq arms,new u joints,new u bolts on the rears,tranny and both rears just serviced with synthetic fluid,Leather interior,sirius sat radio,pc miler navigation,kenwood cd player,h.i.d lights,power everything. Original owner.Receipts for everything! $45,000

Hey, I have a 06 CHN613 also, Im thinking I need to clean out my egr cooler. Im having some boost issues and thats the only thing I havent checked yet. I replaced it about a yr and half ago, but the truck idles alot (lots of freight in NYC) Whats the best way to clean it out, and is there a way to get the rest of the carbon out of the rest of the system? Do I need to remove the egr or anything? Mack just wants to replace parts,not repair. I seem to have a problem every other day..Same as bigen, Ill be about 70,000 driving on flat surface and get about 35lbs of boost for a little while, then suddenly drops right down to 20-25 lbs and sounds like restriction,or a leak (tested for leaks and found none). Then all of a sudden ill get boost back and itll pull like a raped ape. The other thing I noticed was the other day I was pulling some decent hills,and i was boosting at and holding about 40lbs but got nervous and lifted so it would drop down to 35. Im at my wits end with this truck...I cant find any decent mechanics in my area (nyc) that have any idea of how to work on this truck including the dealers. I run betweeen ME and WV. I cant figure this out,and the truck has officially bankrupt me with everything Ive spent so far chaseing this problem. What ever you guys can suggest would be GREATLY APRECIATED! I can turn a wrench,but im not a mechanic. If I cant figure it out......

2006 Mack CHN613 FOR SALE,331,000 MILES. E7,eaton 10spd,new air bags,new shocks all around,new virgin drives and new steers. New intercooler,new clutch,new clutch fan,new belts,new front and rear drums and shoes,new coolant hoses.egr cooler replaced a year ago,Just pm serviced today,(every 10k)new cab mounts,new tourq arms,new u joints,new u bolts on the rears,tranny and both rears just serviced with synthetic fluid,Leather interior,sirius sat radio,pc miler navigation,kenwood cd player,h.i.d lights,power everything. Original owner.Receipts for everything! $45,000

im no mechenic either, but i would guess a sticking open egr valve????????????

if you pull the in and the out tubes on the egr cooler, ou can blow it out with compressed air.

maybe mackpro will post a pic of his blow gun????????

might be from idleing so much, mine looked like ten gallons of soot came out of the cooler, it acts like new truck now.

i have never had more than 32psi. of boost??????????

to bad you cant grab a load to get you to west KY. after first time there my troubles stopped

im no mechenic either, but i would guess a sticking open egr valve????????????

if you pull the in and the out tubes on the egr cooler, ou can blow it out with compressed air.

maybe mackpro will post a pic of his blow gun????????

might be from idleing so much, mine looked like ten gallons of soot came out of the cooler, it acts like new truck now.

i have never had more than 32psi. of boost??????????

to bad you cant grab a load to get you to west KY. after first time there my troubles stopped

Bigen saw how easy (but dirty) it is to blow out a EGR cooler on a ASET engine. Mack recommends to remove the cooler and fill it up with mineral sprits overnight and then steam clean it out. But I have had good luck with blowing them out with a long tipped blowgun. Park the truck out side and remove the "Hot pipe" coming from the EGR valve going to the EGR cooler. Them pull back the EGr cooler to Mass flow hose and blow back and forth with the blowgun. I angle the tip down as to blow down through the cores (its built like a radiator)

post-1740-0-92389100-1302367936_thumb.jp

post-1740-0-18065700-1302367954_thumb.jp

:banana: OK....So after a week of running basically NO boost and just loosing my mind I went to my friends shop and pulled the egr cooler out. I picked up some ZEP cleaner and soaked it for about an hr,drained it (looked like tar) I did that about 5 or 6 times,then sat it in the part cleaner and just let it circulate for about 30-40 mins. After that I sat it upside down,let it drain all the soot out and soaked it once more.(im not sure if that was exsesive but didnt want to chance it) After all the cleaner came out clear, I hit it with the air gun till it was all dry,put a new turbo filter in and lubed up vgt? arm,fired it up...INSTANT CHANGE in the idle and I could hear the turbo spool when I bumped the gas in neutral. I took it for a ride bob tailing for about 30 miles and was boosting great. Hitting and holding 35lbs and sounds great. I have a trailer to pick up monday so I will post how it works out ....Thank you everyone for your suggestions !!! :thumb::thumb::thumb::banana:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to dig up a older thread but, Would excessive soot in the cooler cause it to crack? Im having this coolant pressure problem and I'm leaning towards all the crap that's built up in the cooler building up pressure and put a crack into the case which is now pressurizing the coolant.