The extra gap you see under the cab and the sleeper is because the titans heavy duty dual air cleaner system is located under the cab rather than under the hood. It raises the cab up higher which from the titan i test drove at our local dealer gives a pretty commanding view of the road. I liked looking down at all the little trucks i passed!

As far as the chassis being some sort of stolen cob job stepchild of volvo i have to disagree with that one. last i checked the titan has heavier duty double and triple frame options and heavier crossmembers volvo never had, along with mack only front and rear axles and mack transmissions. Totally unique Mackfront end and cab makes this about as uniquely MACK as anything else. Look at the Australia titan if you want to really see where it came from.

I hear you that a bigger sleeper, and axle and hood options might be nice but dont forget what the titan really is. I dont see it like an over the raod tractor at all with a big sleeper. A titan doesnt compete with a lonestar or most OTR petes. Its meant to be a heavy or severe service specialty hauler or an off road logger or heavy dump where a small sleeper does the trick for most customers, or no sleeper is needed at all. I wouldnt think a couple inch hood length difference would sell more trucks.

IMHO i think a well optioned Titan looks about as good as anything out there and you can get other wheel types if you order them I think. I hope I dont sound preachy but i guess I'm just showing my colors that I love MACKS and am a Titan fan!!!

I agree with this 100%

Terry E Davis

You say you want all this stuff on the Titan or else if it dont fit you needs you will not buy a Titan. My question to you is what are you running now? And the truck your running now does it has all the stuff you want on the Titan on the truck you running now?????????????Also what other trucks you looking at beside the Titan? Becuase I agree with the other guy in saying the Mack Titan is a Heavy Construction Truck and really not made for a long haul OTR tractor. I am 90% sure yoiu will have to go else were for a truck that you want to your spec . Also how much money you willing to spend on a new truck to your specs? Becuase I think it will be over $200,000 american money for what you want. May upwards of 250 grand. FYI The Titan is I think the most exspensive truck on the market now as we speak.

Terry E Davis of Johnson City

What I have now I bought when I just got started and it tentatively fit my needs but has been modified.this is a factory 4 axle not a stretched road conversion also it is double framed. The factory steer has long since been removed. And replaced with a 23k steer. Also gone thru the factory to get re certified. The bunk sucks but When I started it was just me and the dog. The 46 rears are holding up pretty good.the 2 speed gear ratio is great. But got a lead on doing tower sections and I think they will be to light, And don't want to tear something up. It does have the 18 series drive line. Motor wise I have no complaints. Trans wise I would like a few more gears. I do have an 18 but would like a 4 speed aux behind it to get real low or cruise at low rpms empty. I know what I want in a truck and next one is going to be spec'd that way if I can get one new. I am not going to get a redone star car the shaker redid. It would either be a 357,389, Or a wide hood T800. I know Titans aren't cheap. Then again what truck is. I do alot of oil field,jobsites,and Mines. my road time is 90 to 95 % but when I go off road I go places the road guys are scared of, Without fear of OMG you want me where or this truck does not go off road. If I wanted that I would pull a box. I originally wanted a Mack, they had there own priorities on what they wanted to sell. Also had a problem with people wanting to deal.Bought what I had to to start out. But it had the motor,Trans,and rears I wanted. My biggest thing is the sleeper size. I need a workhorse not a beauty queen, And if Mack can't or won't build it someone will. Don't take this as knocking Mack I grew up around them and been around them for a long time. But had to do what I had to do when I started out

I would take a 70. This 63" sucks. I know they are not factory. but what I have seen is to small. Hell the 86" on a kw done up right has all kinds of room. Even the 74 or what ever Western Stars have. More then Likely whatever I get is going to be a day cab with a big bunk put on the back. Or a order a 70 or something that is gutted and put the same size back on from Ict or Ari with a shower,and just more living room.

I would take a 70. This 63" sucks. I know they are not factory. but what I have seen is to small. Hell the 86" on a kw done up right has all kinds of room. Even the 74 or what ever Western Stars have. More then Likely whatever I get is going to be a day cab with a big bunk put on the back. Or a order a 70 or something that is gutted and put the same size back on from Ict or Ari with a shower,and just more living room.

A popular truck and has most of the options you want would be a KW T800W with a 86 hi top sleeper. We spec a new 07 KW T800W cat 625,18 spd 23 front,52 rears with a 2sp rear. tag axle,70 ton 5th wheel,86" hi top sleeper with alot a non factory extras with a cost of 180,000 new in 2007. Still hopeing you will go with a Titan:)

Terry E Davis

• Like 1

A popular truck and has most of the options you want would be a KW T800W with a 86 hi top sleeper. We spec a new 07 KW T800W cat 625,18 spd 23 front,52 rears with a 2sp rear. tag axle,70 ton 5th wheel,86" hi top sleeper with alot a non factory extras with a cost of 180,000 new in 2007. Still hopeing you will go with a Titan:)

Terry E Davis

I don't know exactly how big the 5th wheel on mine is But I know it has the 2 locks on it. with all kinds of slide.

The customer knows better what he or she needs than any Volvo engineer!

There are more than a few customers who need a heavy haulage rig for 100 ton loads with a big sleeper for when they get stuck on a job 50 miles from a motel room in the Dakotahs. And how about Canada where you need the MP10 engine for there 62.5 ton metric weight limits but need something short enough with a comfy sleeper to pull a 20 meter B train in their 25 meter length limits? Mack needs a Pinnacle length BBC Titan for that market. And how about the 80k GVW hauler who just wants a prestigious high hp truck? Heck, he's a paying customer, so Volvo needs to quit sneering at him and let him have a Titan with a big sleeper and lots of chrome. Heck, build him a Titan with an MP8 if he wants one... There were plenty of Superliners built with sixes instead of the mighty Mack V8, and it didn't hurt Mack's bottom line a bit!

• Like 2

There are more than a few customers who need a heavy haulage rig for 100 ton loads with a big sleeper for when they get stuck on a job 50 miles from a motel room in the Dakotahs. And how about Canada where you need the MP10 engine for there 62.5 ton metric weight limits but need something short enough with a comfy sleeper to pull a 20 meter B train in their 25 meter length limits? Mack needs a Pinnacle length BBC Titan for that market. And how about the 80k GVW hauler who just wants a prestigious high hp truck? Heck, he's a paying customer, so Volvo needs to quit sneering at him and let him have a Titan with a big sleeper and lots of chrome. Heck, build him a Titan with an MP8 if he wants one... There were plenty of Superliners built with sixes instead of the mighty Mack V8, and it didn't hurt Mack's bottom line a bit!

lmao................it hurt em in austrailia......i cant understand why in the states they dont option a big bunk we can get 68's here, dont matter tho volvo are doing a good job of killing mack off over here .........junk utter junk, new titans with malvo motors , my 7.3 powerstroke'd f truck can out pull these pieces of shit!

The sleeper on the back of the Titan is a Granite hours of service sleeper.

Thanks 3P,, for the pictures

I think you could get away with a 28" or 30" sleeper,, to meet D.O.T Sleeper rule

If it didn't make straight trucks so long,,,,,more trucking company's would be using them to

get around the 11 hour rule.

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

The extra gap you see under the cab and the sleeper is because the titans heavy duty dual air cleaner system is located under the cab rather than under the hood. It raises the cab up higher which from the titan i test drove at our local dealer gives a pretty commanding view of the road. I liked looking down at all the little trucks i passed!

I understand the gap,,,,,,but not having the factory rocker panel and no compartment door,, like all other Mack sleeper trucks do,, make it look odd.

I also understand looking down on trucks as you pass but on rural road,, that them lower truck run everyday ,,then comes you 10" higher smacking tree limbs

As far as the chassis being some sort of stolen cob job stepchild of volvo i have to disagree with that one. last i checked the titan has heavier duty double and triple frame options and heavier crossmembers volvo never had, along with mack only front and rear axles and mack transmissions. Totally unique Mackfront end and cab makes this about as uniquely MACK as anything else. Look at the Australia titan if you want to really see where it came from.

I hear you that a bigger sleeper, and axle and hood options might be nice but dont forget what the titan really is. I dont see it like an over the raod tractor at all with a big sleeper. A titan doesnt compete with a lonestar or most OTR petes. Its meant to be a heavy or severe service specialty hauler or an off road logger or heavy dump where a small sleeper does the trick for most customers, or no sleeper is needed at all. I wouldnt think a couple inch hood length difference would sell more trucks.

IMHO i think a well optioned Titan looks about as good as anything out there and you can get other wheel types if you order them I think. I hope I dont sound preachy but i guess I'm just showing my colors that I love MACKS and am a Titan fan!!!

i have a rawhide i run coast to coast,i am in no mack land as much as anyone, i am a mack lover all the way, the styling engineers dropped the ball on the titan, it looks like a cob job.

• 3 weeks later...

The Titan is a great model but I don't see how they thought it was a great fit for the lineup. They have the pinnacle, Terrapro and Granite; all medium power trucks. Then jump right to a massive vocational beast, the Titan but it has no sleeper. There is a huge gap in my opinion. Where is the in-betweener?

The Vison.... oops Pinnacle axle forward is a great truck, what is stopping them from adding a few inches to the hood and dropping an MP10 into it? Volvo's VN has a D16 option and its only a few inches longer than the Vision (PAF...whatever). Why are the Pinnacles cubby-holed into highway duty? 14.6k front max and 46k rear max. Bullshit if you ask me, you used to be able to spec a CH with heavy axles.

And how are the CH sales doing (PAB)? Why not take the CH and turn it into the Superliner. The CH replaced the Superliner much to everyones disappointment. Its a nice looking truck but it to me, Mack dropped the ball. Why would you take such an iconic truck and turn it into a plastic cookie cutter fleet truck? Plenty of superliners were shipped with E6's and some wanted the big power and ran E9's, CAT's and Cummins along with heavy spec options. That was a perfect truck, not too much and not too little. It was just right and had sleeper options.

The Mack lineup has a hole in it, there is no big power for over the road and no heavy spec options for over the road either. Go to Kenworth, Peterbilt and Westernstar, hell even Freightliner and you can get a heavy spec with a sleeper. Pathetic.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/aug/01/truck-hauling-radioactive-generator-blocking-traff/

"The truck is 399 feet long and has 192 tires. The 30-year-old steam generator weighs 380 tons and was on an 832-mile journey to another power plant in Clive, Utah, where it was to be stored."

You have to look in the photo gallery in the link but that 380+ ton load is being pulled by none other then a Mack Titan. Oh yeah.

The Titan is a great model but I don't see how they thought it was a great fit for the lineup. They have the pinnacle, Terrapro and Granite; all medium power trucks. Then jump right to a massive vocational beast, the Titan but it has no sleeper. There is a huge gap in my opinion. Where is the in-betweener?

The Vison.... oops Pinnacle axle forward is a great truck, what is stopping them from adding a few inches to the hood and dropping an MP10 into it? Volvo's VN has a D16 option and its only a few inches longer than the Vision (PAF...whatever). Why are the Pinnacles cubby-holed into highway duty? 14.6k front max and 46k rear max. Bullshit if you ask me, you used to be able to spec a CH with heavy axles.

And how are the CH sales doing (PAB)? Why not take the CH and turn it into the Superliner. The CH replaced the Superliner much to everyones disappointment. Its a nice looking truck but it to me, Mack dropped the ball. Why would you take such an iconic truck and turn it into a plastic cookie cutter fleet truck? Plenty of superliners were shipped with E6's and some wanted the big power and ran E9's, CAT's and Cummins along with heavy spec options. That was a perfect truck, not too much and not too little. It was just right and had sleeper options.

The Mack lineup has a hole in it, there is no big power for over the road and no heavy spec options for over the road either. Go to Kenworth, Peterbilt and Westernstar, hell even Freightliner and you can get a heavy spec with a sleeper. Pathetic.

The CH replaced the R. The CL replaced the Superliner and was built on the Superliner frame. That is why you could get the E9 and vendor engines in the CL. You could also get the CL with a 3/8" frame and a sleeper. You don't see many of them around.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Hook,, for posting this

post-133-0-65394300-1316962655_thumb.jpg

This will show volvo a few very important things

1) A factory Mack sleeper will fit on a TD

2) The devotion of Mack owners to have what they need and not going to other brand trucks.

Can only imagine how this sale went,,,,,,I need a TD with a 63" sleeper ,,,(red flag on computer screen) Sorry Sir volvo says you don't need it... @#%& volvo get me a day cab and do it myself

and i know its not macks fault with all this emission crap and there sys, is beter then most but cant aford to by a truck get worse fuel mpg and not be able to fix it. pluss find a shop that has someone abile to fix it, plus this gov, is changing crap so fast this technoligy will be gone in 5 years try getting computers and parts in 8year, but i do like the high cab in job sites you can see well. other then that id like one, just my opp.

Thanks Hook,, for posting this

post-133-0-65394300-1316962655_thumb.jpg

This will show volvo a few very important things

1) A factory Mack sleeper will fit on a TD

2) The devotion of Mack owners to have what they need and not going to other brand trucks.

Can only imagine how this sale went,,,,,,I need a TD with a 63" sleeper ,,,(red flag on computer screen) Sorry Sir volvo says you don't need it... @#%& volvo get me a day cab and do it myself

Or, how about this; 'Sorry sir the TD does not come with a sleeper buuutttt.... I could sell you a Volvo with a sleeper!