M-Drive Transmission

Is that a 1700 series driveline? Looks a bit small from the photo.

Rob

It's a Spicer SPL series driveline.

Is it a re named Volvo I-Shift, or something different?

It's an I-Shift, maybe it has different programming to match the Mack engine programming.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

It's a Spicer SPL series driveline.

Isn't that one of those "lubed for life" type drivelines? Seems my "Tiger Tool" literature states it won't work with that driveline.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Had a new CXU stop in and it had the first M-drive transmission that we had seen. Driver said it was super smooth shifting and really liked it. We got 2 techs at M-drive Mack school this week. Hope these transmissions are trouble free! Sorry pics are sideways!

hey mackpro.

the transmissions are very trouble free.

the only problem we had so far is to much airprecior.

i don`t know if you have on APM for airsuplay.

we have them on our renaults and it`s crap.

but for the rest the transmissons are very good and the drivers here are very pleased with them.

they say the shifting is better on a renaukt then on a vulva.

mack4ever.

• 1 month later...

My Mack dealer just delivered a Pinnacle daycab with an mDrive last week. I'll keep my ear open to how they like it. I saw it on the road yesterday, sharp looking truck too.

From what I see we are building the same amout of mDrives as Allison's

I wouldn't be jumping head over heels just yet if they are similar to the I shift. They are very expensive to replace. The truck can not be moved if the engine is not running. If by chance your truck were to shut off in traffic it couldn't be dragged to the shoulder without disconnecting the drive shaft or pulling all four axles first. Otherwise the trans gets ruined. Just what we have been told as towers.

I always figured gears were gears, a transmission is a transmission and a rear end is a rear end, and that there wasn't a whole lot that you could screw up by adding electrical equipment to one. I must have been wrong. I wonder where we'll be in a few years with these. As said earlier, the cost of replacement is prohibitive, they're too easy to damage, and I don't think rebuilders will have much luck rebuilding them. So what do you do with a truck that in five years time is useless and not worth what was paid for it due to a shot automated transmission? Time will tell how the mDrive will fare, but if the transmissions don't hold up it seems like it will really put a damper on used truck availability.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"