New Mack Model Coming Soon.

Just the other day I was thinking about how to recreate a classic Mack look using a CH or similar truck. Remove the hood and bumper, then build up from there. Fabricate a radiator shell, metal hood and fenders. Then top it off with an old school bumper, head lights and few bits of chrome trimming. It could turn out pretty good. Should also have spokes to complete the look.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

If they would only bring back the old Superliner it would out sell the Titan 10 to 1.

I think the reason they dont sell alot of Titans is becuase of the price of them. Mack dealers wont buy them for a stock unit they have to be ordered by a customer and sold. Our Mack dealership had 3 of them and had problems selling all of them. They sat on the lot for about one year before they were sold and one of the three got transfered to another dealer becuase our mack dealer wanted it gone. Plus the resale on the titan is not good niether from what they cost new. If I was in the market for a Titan I would buy a used one rather then buying a new one. To this day I never seen a Titan out on the road. We do have one running in my area hauling milk for Conventry Trucking and its mostly in the shop than on the road. They had the truck for 4 months and its been in the shop around 6 times allready.

Terry

Just the other day I was thinking about how to recreate a classic Mack look using a CH or similar truck. Remove the hood and bumper, then build up from there. Fabricate a radiator shell, metal hood and fenders. Then top it off with an old school bumper, head lights and few bits of chrome trimming. It could turn out pretty good. Should also have spokes to complete the look.

How about a CL with a hard nose to replace the RD800.

In my own feeble mind,i always thought a "heritage" type truck,based on the R-series platform was a good idea,like they did with the RD-series right before they were discontinued,so many people,especially in the constuction/vocational areas were loyal to the R-model,and i think even today,with the track record they have, the R-series is STILL a viable truck,even with the electronics,EPA crap nessesary in todays market. There is NO tougher cab,frame,components etc. offered by any manufactorer out there! (in my opinion) even the current Mack/volvo bastard does'nt do whats expected of it! and i'll be dammned if i'm gonna spend a $100.000+ on a new dumptruck thats in the shop every other day! i mean look at the Titan,how many have you seen on the road? i have seen ONE in actual service,in the years since it was introduced!......how many R-models do you see still runnin' around? if it ain't broke,don't fix it!..............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

That's a seperate model called the "BB" for "big B". Just think of a B cab and hood expanded by 10% or so... The new model announcemnt will be on 4/1/11.

I remember about three years ago on this site there was a post about a new B Model test unit spotted on the interstate. Then there was mention of Volvo taking a B model and putting it in a wind tunnel and low and behold it was the most aerodynamic design ever produced. This entry went on and on about the revival of the B Model. They had me hook line and sinker and I was all pumped up as I read the entry. Towards the end it started to get a little far fetched and at the very end it was noted that it was APRIL FOOLS DAY. Does any body remember this post and where is it on the site. :rolleyes:

Yes, I remember it- I wrote the press release. Problem was, the story got out too early and Volvo killed the new B model before it could enter production. From what I remember, a near 7 foot tall Swedish Volvo executive was going to take the B model for a test drive. He was so scrunched up in the cab that his knees were interfering with the steering wheel, and he had to lean so far over to keep from bumping his head into the roof that it looked like he was driving from the right seat. So a stop production order was issued just as production started... If you see an unusually well preserved B model with an E7 engine, there may have been a few of these new Bs built before the stop production order made it to Macungie.

Of course, the dream of a new B model never died at Allentown. In the past few years a lot has been learned about "explosive expansion" from the MRAP truck project. The original B model cab was rather narrow, having been designed when some states still restricted truck width to 90 inches.

That's all I can tell you for now.

I was right, it's a small granite and yes it's with a cummins :(

Shhhhhhhh, loose lips sink ships tongue.gif

A small granite would look very much like the Australian Metroliner, a short BBC (~108") Mack powered by either a Cummins ISC or ISL. They are light weight and popular as mixers down there.\

I hope the new truck is one of the following:

"Metroliner" -Compete with PB and KW in the premium medium duty class 7/8 market.

Superliner - who doesn't want to see this one come back?

Big power Vision.... er, I mean pinnacle axle back - Lengthen the hood and drop an MP10 in it.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Yes, I remember it- I wrote the press release. Problem was, the story got out too early and Volvo killed the new B model before it could enter production. From what I remember, a near 7 foot tall Swedish Volvo executive was going to take the B model for a test drive. He was so scrunched up in the cab that his knees were interfering with the steering wheel, and he had to lean so far over to keep from bumping his head into the roof that it looked like he was driving from the right seat. So a stop production order was issued just as production started... If you see an unusually well preserved B model with an E7 engine, there may have been a few of these new Bs built before the stop production order made it to Macungie.

Of course, the dream of a new B model never died at Allentown. In the past few years a lot has been learned about "explosive expansion" from the MRAP truck project. The original B model cab was rather narrow, having been designed when some states still restricted truck width to 90 inches.

That's all I can tell you for now.

Any upcomming April 1 surprises?

With this new MACK model for the class 6 & 7 I think MACK should seek the oportunity to offer a CHASSIS of its soon to come CLASS 6 / 7 truck to SCHOOL BUS MANUFACTURERS so they could mount TYPE-C (conventional) school buses on this new MACK class 6 / 7 chasiss.

THOMAS BUILT BUSES (owned by the DAIMLER TRUCK GROUP)uses FREIGHTLINER TRUCKS chasiss.

IC BUS CORPORATION (owned by NAVISTAR) uses INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS chassis

STARCRAFT BUS. Will enter the TYPE-C School Bus market with a TYPE-C School Bus mounted on HINO TRUCKS chassis.

BLUE BIRD BUS co is the only one with no mayor TRUCK MANUFACTURER as its PARTNER or CHASSIS PROVIDER. So that MACK class 6 or 7 TRUCK CHASSIS might have a chance here and if it is powered by CUMMINS it will be a great deal for BLUE BIRD because CUMMMINS is BLUE BIRD'S engine provider. So a MACK CHASSIS already with the engine BLUE BIRD CO uses for its BUSES might help BLUE BIRD BUS CO a lot.

twaz invited to the cavalcade of mack Display, As well as 500 other people

Me took my camera to take a few happy snaps

took a few!!

twas a good night

Sumthing for nutn is always good

LOL

On the night there twaz more interest in the ol bangers than the new jiggerz

cya

§wishy

Nice pictures! i have always admired the "aussie" paint schemes on their trucks,i especially like the pin-stripes and attention to detail,they seem to come up with some unusal color combinations,but they always seem to "work" together. I believe it was a "carolina thing" but i used to see a lot of blue/black trucks with a red frame,on the right truck i thought it was sharp. I also find it interesting to see "spoke" type wheels on a modern truck,but given the rough terrain,makes perfect sense to me,easier to maintain, and a lot tougher than aluminum wheels..................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the official release.

LAS VEGAS (March 24, 2011) – With a focus on continuous improvement, Mack Trucks, Inc. today introduced a series of enhancements to its industry-leading MACK® Granite® conventional straight trucks and the heavy-haul Titan by Mack model. The announcements were made at the 2011 CONEXPO-CON/AGG show in Las Vegas.

In line with its well-established tradition of application excellence, and building on the success of the top-selling heavy-duty Class 8 conventional straight truck in the United States,* Mack debuted a medium heavy duty version of its Granite model. The Granite Medium Heavy Duty (MHD) is designed to meet the needs of customers, like some municipalities, who don’t put their trucks through all the rigors Granite models can handle – customers for whom a lighter spec gets the job done.

“In the current economic environment, companies are taking an even harder look at how much truck they truly need,” said Curtis Dorwart, Mack vocational products marketing manager. “Our new Granite Medium Heavy Duty delivers just the right amount of Mack’s legendary strength, durability and reliability, along with valuable weight and cost savings.”

The Granite MHD is available in both axle-forward and axle-back configurations, is powered by a Cummins ISL9 EPA 2010-certified engine and is offered with an Eaton manual or Allison automatic transmission.

Mack also announced that both its Granite Axle Forward and Granite Axle Back™ models can now be ordered with a 36-inch flat-top sleeper equipped with a 30 by 80-inch mattress, curtain, bunk restraint, under bunk storage and cup holder – as well as rear and side window options.

“We’ve seen a considerable increase in the number of vocational customers expanding their operations beyond regional sites,” Dorwart said. “The new Mack Granite sleeper is ideal for customers in any market working to meet the federal hours-of-service requirements.”

Further enhancements to the Mack Granite series include a new headliner console, optional one-piece windshield, and updated Champion Level trim package with button-tuck vinyl and ultraleather seats that delivers the comfort and styling drivers desire at no extra charge over its predecessor. The new Champion Level trim package and one-piece windshield are also available in the Titan by Mack model. A cab-mounted exhaust option available in all Granite models and a clear back-of-cab assist Mack body builder partners.

Customers also now have a new Allison automatic transmission option – the 3000 series – for the Granite model.

“In recent years, the trucking industry has been hit hard by the worst recession since the Great Depression, but Mack never stopped investing and innovating – it’s what our customers expect,” said Kevin Flaherty, Mack senior vice president, U.S. and Canada.

Was. Is. Always will be. That’s Mack. A company founded in 1900, renowned for reliability and durability, and continuing to offer products with that legendary toughness – along with a strong dose of everything else customers today need to stay out in front of their competition.

post-334-0-41458800-1301054922_thumb.jpg